I finally decided to make a voodoo strat just like the gibson voodoo series.

I'm going to make the body on european ash because i can't get swamp ash. the body will be shaped ike a strat.

The bridge will be a floyd rose tremolo. I asked a guy, that sells things very cheap, and i'm waiting to know the prices of a FR sold by him. I saw a schaller one for 300 euros and thats very expensive and abusive in my opinion. That shop also sells FR for 51 euros that are made by the shop. They must be horrible but i think its the only alternative. I also saw a second hand khaller that its not made for about 100 euros.

For pickups i'm thinking on emg's for metal.

The hardware will o black as the pickguard.

I'm going to buy a strat neck. its a copy but its cheap. I think that the fingerboard is in rosewood and i will do thefaux ebony trick ( http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/ebonize.htm )

I still need a blueprint of the body and a router for the body.

Tell me what you think.

EDIT: The prototype:

Last edited by superbadboy2 at Sep 11, 2006,
interesting. why shape the body like a strat - i mean there's nothing wrong with strats but an individual look might be nice for a custom guitar. I like that ebonizing trick, looks good, hopefully it doesn't affect the tone, then again EMG's tone is more to do with the equipment after the guitar then on the guitar. second hand FR's might be nice to look into, although give the shop made FR's a chance, you never know.
Marty
i like the strat body and i don't have a strat. And i will do some personal touches. The jack socket is les paul style and i will try to paint this snake on the headstock. I would love to inlay this snake on the fingerboard between the frets mybe on red to match the paint job:

This is the tremolo from khaler. it's 95 euros. it doesn't have springs. the 51 euros tremolo from the shop has everything and is black and I am seriously thinking on trying it.

What do you think of the prototype? The kisekae can't recreate the paint job exactly like the gibson voodoo series.
"The guitars are painted ebony and then rubbed with red filler; a satin lacquer coat completes the unique stained finish, showcasing the grain and allowing the wood to breathe. "

that reads in the Gibson website

I'm actually kinda interested in this build
Shouldn't you get mahogany/ebony neck?
and are you gonna do the voodoo skull inlay at 5th fret?
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I don't know how to make inlays. I would like to inlay the snake above on the fretboard. The neck will be bolt on and i think its made os maple. I will ebonize just like the fingerboard or paint it matt black. Don't be so exited it will take months to finish. i don't have nothing now. First i need the blueprint of the body with a 2 point tremolo.

EDIT: I can inlay the snake on the wood using something sharp, then the grain filler will make it red. if it doesnt work i will paint it red with a painting brush.
looks good, once again i do think you should deviate from the design of the actual body, not because i don't like strats, but because there are so many strat knockoffs out there. that said this has to be one of the better strat knock offs and it definately has character!
Marty
Mybe a more agressive look or an sg shape. Give me some ideas please.

I hope i can make it.
i don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but the ESP F shape is kinda an example of how you can use an original strat shape and deviate from it a little bit to make it original. obviously making an ESP F shape wouldn't be very original but you get what i'm getting at.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/ESP/PR/F-2005-lg.jpg

so sort of deviating slightly, giving it your own edge. especially because u say you want it as a metal guitar, this might give it a bit more grunt.
Marty
I don't like that esp. I want the voodoo strat to play metal from black sabbath to megadeth. And i don't want it to lose its strat spirit. Maye I can make it like a jackson or esp strat style with a pickguard. Its a bit more agressive around the "horns".
Quote by superbadboy2
I don't like that esp. I want the voodoo strat to play metal from black sabbath to megadeth. And i don't want it to lose its strat spirit. Maye I can make it like a jackson or esp strat style with a pickguard. Its a bit more agressive around the "horns".

sounds good, that jackson style strat is pretty classic, a lot of metal guitarists use those (slayer to that guy off rammstein). it seems if anything your a fan of the pickguard! good on you, the pickguard seems to be vanishing from modern guitars nowadays.
Marty
The pickguard will give it a more vintage and classic look while the rest will make it an evil and possessed strat. I can paint the white numbers from the control knobs red.

I want to have a black matt pickguard (Not shiny). I get a black pikguard with humbucker holes and sand it a bit until it is not shiny.

This pickguard on the SG looks great:
I have the floyd rose copy that costed 51 euros. And I have the neck. Its a 21 frets strat style with the same headstock. The fretboard e rosewood and it's really dark, it's almost black. I will post pictures later when i can.

I'm having problems. I can't find ash. Can somebody tell me the woods wich i can make the juju finish from gibson voodoo series. Can i use pine?
Last edited by superbadboy2 at Sep 14, 2006,
Go with a Strat shape, but like everybody else said, make it your own. Lengthen the cutaways and make them a bit sharper. Do a belly cut, contour the cutaways, etc.
Pine=bad. Try getting mahogany because it will help with the tone. But I don't know about doing a voodoo finish on mahogany.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i saw on a forum about voodoo finish that it doesn't work on mahogany. To work the wood needs to have big grain like ash. what about chestnut or oak. Oak is extremely heavy and dificult to work. I think that the voodoo finish works on oak and chestnut. But i'm going to searsh ash. And i don't need to boy a router because the father from a friend of mine has one and works with wood.

And i will personalise the strat. I'm going to use a sharp object to make details on the wood like skulls and other stuff. Then the red grain filler should fill the details and make them visible.
sorry...but by putting emg's in a strat its already losing it spirit...a strat is known for its single coils.... i have nothing against emg's, they have their place but dont expect your strat to sound like one with emg's in it. regardless, great guitar plan. just one thing though. check your neck measurements....not every fender style neck with fit in a fender styled guitar, measurements differ from each manufacturer so you could get messed up intonation if you arent careful, or possibly your neck might not fit in the pocket correctly (unless of course you make a template from the neck itself)

btw awesome idea with the scratching designs into the wood to be filled with red filler
i know it will lose its strat spirit with emgs. the pickups are not completly choosen. Maybe hss or hsh. Jacksons also don't have the strat spirit. The bridge saddles are adjustable. But I found one trick that i'm not sure if it works. It's hard to explain:

To place the bridge, measure between the nut and the 12 fret. Put that measure between the 11 and 12 frets, the start of the bridge(not the bridge saddles) Will be on the other end of the ruller.

excuse me for my poor english.
I thought it mightn't have worked for mahogany. You could go with a mahogany body with a cap of something?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I don't think so. But in the next friday i'm going to see if i can get ash.

You can read in this forum everything about voodoo finish: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9865&st=0

edit: Thanks for all your help. I hate those guys that they only say that the guitar is sexy and and gorgeous and don't help a thing. But you help.
Last edited by superbadboy2 at Sep 15, 2006,
That's because we are the best
I've took some photos:

The neck:

Cheap Floyd rose 1:

Cheap Floyd rose 2 In this image you can see that this tremolo has less screws than the original floyd rose so i think that this tremolo is a low profile copy.

Sorry but i couldn't resist to put some photos of my guitars and stuff.

The toronado is mine and is a great guitar. I can get cool sounds with my zoom gfx3 fx pedal. The telecaster is an old squier from my brother. Now he uses a washburn hollowbody to play jazz. The tele is not bad. I think that it has about 10 years or more.

and the rest....

The amp is a vector g-30. The worst thing ever. It's cheap and crappy. My fx pedal can make a litlle better.
You are now asking yourselves whats that box. Thats a 4 string guitar that i made on this holidays. I used wood from the garbage. It was all in a pile. It plays loud. I'm thinking on putin a fretboard from a normal guitar. But that's another project.
I'm confused with this project. If i want to make a guitar for metal i should use 24 frett neck. I bought the 21 frett neck. Can I put more fretts? Should i do it with my 21 frett neck? Most solos use the 24th frett. Other alternative is to buy a 24 frett neck from ebay.
I'd like to suggest an offset waist, like the jazz bass, and you'd have to buy a new neck to have 24 frets, and the scale length may be different, but it dont matter if the body will be built from scratch. didn't some strats have 24 frets anyway? and super fat strats have two humbuckers, i see no reason why they shouldn't be EMG's if thats what he wants

"You're a MESS!"
That Wooden Box Looks Kinda Funky
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I don't care. I will do it with 21 fretts. I don't need 24 fretts to be a master. Warmoth sells some 24 strat necks that have the same scale as normal strats. So next thing to do is get the wood. I almost bought swamp ash from internet for 130 euros but one friend of mine said that he could get cheaper and easier.