I thought it was the best soldering tool but now im thinking otherwise from other people in the posts..

I have 2 questions.
1) What is wrong with cold heat?
2) What is a good soldering tool and please link me to it
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
ive used the sold heat soldering iron and its not very good. I couldnt get it to heat up the metal because fot eh two prong thiny on the tip so i just got a regualr old soldering iron
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I started using a traditional soldering penical (http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionSD.html), but I did break down and buy a cold heat. The problem was, for guitar's at least, it does not create enough heat to get a proper solid connection. It is OK, not fine but ok, for very light and tiny jobs, but other then that I'm a huge fan of a traditional soldering tools.
Last edited by ttk2skates at Sep 16, 2006,
Also the way it solders is by short circuiting which can't be too healthy for your components. another reason is because the tips are quite expensive and tips are things that should be replaced very often on soldering irons, as the tip is really what's doing the work, third it's advertisements are misleading.

Soldering irons are like £5 / $10 dude, it doesn't really matter which soldering iron as long as it's basic, basic is better, ti's just gotta heat the tip up. run in to your local electronics store (i take it radioshacks the big one in the us) and ask for a soldering iron that's basic and costs between 10 and $20
Marty
Quote by ttk2skates
I started using a traditional soldering penical (http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionSD.html), but I did break down and buy a cold heat. The problem was, for guitar's at least, it does not create enough heat to get a proper solid connection. It is OK, not fine but ok, for very light and tiny jobs, but other then that I'm a huge fan of a traditional soldering tools.

link dont work :S
Larrivée D-03R
It (like the other guy said) operates by shorting out a circuit. Thats what melt the solder. The thing seems like too much of a gimmick to me.
Quote by ttk2skates
I edited the link, now it works

it keeps bringing me to this page:

Not Found
The requested URL /SectionSD.html) was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.hobbyengineering.com Port 80
Larrivée D-03R