I bought a replacement humbucker, and it came in yesterday. I was looking at the wiring diagrams and reading the material they supplied me with, and I am confused.

The sheet Bill Lawrence sent me tells me the following:
Standard Wiring
White- Positive (hot) lead
Black negative lead to ground

Connect red and green wires and insulate combined ends. Black wire is ground lead and must be soldered to the back of one of the controls. If the pickup has an additional blue wire (mine does) solder it with ground.

Ok. I understand that blue and black are soldered together as ground. From what I can gather, the red and green wires would be connected to the volume knob. From there, what would I do with the white wire???

This is my guitars stock wiring config.

Basically, I just dont know how to read diagrams/follow directions. If someone could perhaps explain to me what I would do, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, Im installing the pickup in the bridge.
You have it a little wrong. From what I understand, you solder the red and green wires together and tape them off. This connects the two coils of the humbucker together. The black and blue wires get soldered to the back of the pot (usually volume) and the white wire goes to your switch.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Hmm....That diagram is from Ibanez, not Bill Lawrence.

Basically, is the random hero right??? I dont distrust him, I just want to be sure hes right before I try anything.
He's right..
White - to the switch.
Red and Green - Solder together and insulate.
Black and Blue - Solder to the back of the volume pot.
These go to eleven...
To the back?? Like, not to one of the posts?? Will it *theoretically* be like this with my old pickup?? If so, I can just look at that...I need some visual reference.
Yeah, look at the old wiring, the back of the volume pot is a grounding point. There will be many wires going to there. It'll either be the back of the pot, or the terminal on the right. It doesn't matter whitch.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Sep 12, 2006,
The wiring should be the same as it originally was, maybe the two joined strands are a different colour.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
The wiring should be the same as it originally was, maybe the two joined strands are a different colour.

Yes that's the safest bet, the schematics that come with your pickups are to cover as many wiring schemes as possible but yours may be slightly different, so it's a good idea to draw or even photograph the connections in your guitar, you might also find the schematics on the SD site easier to follow than those Bill Lawrence ones (though the wiring colours will obviously be different) that pickup switch looks a little odd.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Sep 16, 2006,