I used to be more of an accoustic player, but recently pulled out one of my electric guitars, a 1980s era Hohner Stratocaster type (made in Japan) with the standard trem system.

I put some new strings on there and did the full setup work. The action is very nice and neck relief is fine after adjusting the neck truss rod a 1/4 turn for a bit more relief.

My problem with this particular guitar is that the intonation is always flat on the low E string. And it is just that string. The others adjusted just fine and the intonation is spot-on.

No matter how far forward I reposition the saddle on that low E string, it always registers flat at the 12th fret position (in the tuner) and also by relative pitch when comparing by ear to the 12th fret harmonic.

I thought the magnetic pull of the pickups might be responsible, and tried lowering them a bit, but that is not the issue. Magnetic pull would sharpen too, I guess, so that really can't be it.

The neck is not at all noticably warped or anthing. Looks great. The fret wires are also probably fine, and not worn down, and as I said all the other strings intonate well.

I tried a new set of strings (swiched from D'Addarios to Ernie Ball) and its the same.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I haven't messed with the internal springs on the tremelo: perhaps I should tighten the spring closest to the low E?
No suggestions? Guess I stumped all you setup experts?

I'm looking into getting a longer adjustment screw for the low-E saddle, thats really the only thing I can think to try at this point.

Its just very odd how that one string refuses to intonate and is always flat at the 12th.
Are you sure there's nothing up with the fret wire?

And tightening up the internal spring on the vibrato won't make a difference to the intonation of just one string.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what string gauge you using? and also what tuning?
Using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies 9-11-16-24-32-42. Tuning is standard EADGBE.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Are you sure there's nothing up with the fret wire?

And tightening up the internal spring on the vibrato won't make a difference to the intonation of just one string.
I figured that, but I was at loss for what, if anything, to do.

As for the fret wire...well, the since the 5th (A) string intonates fine, and the 6th (low E) string is right next to it, with no noticeable defects on the frets or the neck, I am pretty sure I can rule the actual frets out as being the source the problem.

This is really an annoying problem!
Well you should have stuck with D'addarios for a start, they're much better. Hmm. Action OK? Is it roughly level with the other strings? Check the bridge end to see if any adjustments help, then check the nut as well.

If it's the nut, then the intonation will be off everywhere, not just on the 12th fret, so check that. Also, if it's the nut you'll really need to get a pro to look at/repair it.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
are u saying the intonation changes but u dont have enought room to get it in tune?

or that the intonation doesnt really change on that string.

edit: ok i guess i missed you. anyway, sometimes guys post and say they cant get the intonation to change for a string, no matter how much they adjust. i never understood that type of post, but i guess something like that is possible if there's some type of saddle stiffness problem.

more often, i read posts where the TS cant seem to move the saddle enough to get the intonation to match up. if it's a standard strat "type" saddle, and uve moved it as far as it will go and still cant get it in tune, i suggest that the cut or position of nut has worn and is preventing you from intonating. manipulating the saddle, intonation screw and or spring can usually get u the space u need to get in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 12, 2006,
hmmm jenny raised a good point tap you saddle with the string loose so that if there was a groove on the bridge plate the saddle can move out of it and with that in mind if you did tap it out of the groove then re adjust your intonation again
Quote by azn_guitarist25
hmmm jenny raised a good point tap you saddle with the string loose so that if there was a groove on the bridge plate the saddle can move out of it and with that in mind if you did tap it out of the groove then re adjust your intonation again

That would be unlikely to happen again, after a string change, I mean.

Quote by Strat_Monkey
Well you should have stuck with D'addarios for a start, they're much better. Hmm. Action OK? Is it roughly level with the other strings? Check the bridge end to see if any adjustments help, then check the nut as well.

If it's the nut, then the intonation will be off everywhere, not just on the 12th fret, so check that. Also, if it's the nut you'll really need to get a pro to look at/repair it.
Well, the string is in tune pretty much up to the 7th, where you can then notice (by ear or the tuner) that it starts going flat as you continue to go up the neck.

Action is about the same as the 5th string, no big difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try a longer saddle adjustment screw and if that doesn't work, I will have a local music store have a look.
^my edit, took a while sorry, im not feeling well today
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Strat_Monkey

meh you gotta explore all the possibilities and see if one of them is correct

edit:
Quote by jj1565
^my edit, took a while sorry, im not feeling well today

damn that sucks jenny hope you get well soon
Quote by Strat_Monkey

The saddle for that string isn't sitting outside of any groove. Its the basic Strat-type trem, like this:

(The above pic ISN'T my guitar, just one I saw on this site with the same exact bridge/saddle system)
Well, my ideas are exhausted. I still suspect there's something up with the fretwire or the nut, but without seeing the guitar it's difficult for me to say. You might wanna take it to a pro, or if you don't wanna spend any money, any mate of yours who knows his stuff will do.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. When I get it sorted out (if ever), I'll post the solution.
just a suggestion but it might work... try to detune the low E string first before repositioning the saddle... after repositioning tune the low E again and check if at least there's a change... if there is then try adjusting the intonation using the method I suggested

PS. I know it might be stupid but it's only a suggestion... and I know how to intonate the proper way