Having been told that most tremelos for around £350 are ****e, I found this guitar, and I've heard the ZR Tremelo is great. So for Testament, Slayer, Metallica, Trivium, etc, is this guitar good?
yeah i'd imagine so , if you can live without 24 frets but thats not an issue for most people..
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
i'd say that guitar would be pretty good, unless you need the extra 2 frets, which "most" people dont tend to use anyway. The mahogany body will give a nice fat tone, try and play one of them or a similar S series model before you buy though just to make sure.
Quote by speed_of_light
thin wizard II neck (so you can shred),

A thin wizard neck doesnt MAKE you shred, if you can shred you can shred on anything.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
A thin satin-finished wizard neck still facilitates the shredding.

Also, the pickups are rather lousy - they're middle-of-the-road bland pickups, not at all high output. Covered Infinities, I'd wager, sound even less than that. So those are the only thing in the guitar you'd want to swap, especially if you're into high gain metal.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by speed_of_light
Yeah, the ZR trem is a pretty good piece of kit. The S520 seems to be pretty good fit for your tastes - thin wizard II neck (so you can shred), mahogany body (good wood for metal) and high output pickups. Ibanez's are always good value for money too...

Check out the reviews on here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/s520ex/index.html

I am *this close* to getting this guitar, but I also checking out the S470. It seems the only difference is that the S470 does not have a "bound rosewood" finger board like the S520EX. The price difference is about $100 -- not sure if a "bound rosewood" finger board is worth the extra $100. Does anyone know what difference a bound one makes?

I also see that the S470DXQM is very similar to the S520EX, but it has the quilted maple top -- and that costs an extra $130 over the S520EX. I had heard that quilted maple adds some additional sound characteristics to the tone? That true?
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
I also saw the S2170 which is quite a bit more -- like twice as much, but it has a "Prestige" neck and Bubinga top body and neck -- not sure that the heck that does for it. I am leaning towards the S470DXQM at this point. I have enough money for the S2170 -- just not sure that it's worth that much.....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by smashingchicago
I am *this close* to getting this guitar, but I also checking out the S470. It seems the only difference is that the S470 does not have a "bound rosewood" finger board like the S520EX. The price difference is about $100 -- not sure if a "bound rosewood" finger board is worth the extra $100. Does anyone know what difference a bound one makes?

I also see that the S470DXQM is very similar to the S520EX, but it has the quilted maple top -- and that costs an extra $130 over the S520EX. I had heard that quilted maple adds some additional sound characteristics to the tone? That true?

The S470 also has a middle single coil pickup in addition to the two humbuckers....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Binding on the S520 neck is cosmetic, as any binding, really. The 520 has no fret markers, so binding makes it easier to see side dots on the neck.

Modern Prestige S is hardly worth the $1200 they ask for it (as was discussed in a number of topics before).

520 or 470 is an aesthetic choice for most people. 470 is more versatile, 520 looks extreme (it looks even better in person than on the pictures). Take your pick.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by smashingchicago
I also saw the S2170 which is quite a bit more -- like twice as much, but it has a "Prestige" neck and Bubinga top body and neck -- not sure that the heck that does for it. I am leaning towards the S470DXQM at this point. I have enough money for the S2170 -- just not sure that it's worth that much.....

I love the S2170 Prestige, but it's actually made in Korea as of some year (2003 I think)...
dude the S2170 has the budinga strips on the neck so it stays or atleast stays strong against neck bowing. The guitar is beautiful ive seen it, i played its amazing thin body, but to me the s prestige and normal s, feel almost the same except the prestige is lil more or more comfortable. I dont like it as much as my Rg prestige tho :P.

but if you can afford a S prestige get the Rg1570 for more range on the edge pro, basswood which is also good, and uh HSH but i heard many people dont use the configuration that much and they stay on the humbuckers. I use the whole 5-way switch for different music. plus Made in Japan it owns the Korean models in all ways.

S or RG well up to you man....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by pifty
Binding on the S520 neck is cosmetic, as any binding, really. The 520 has no fret markers, so binding makes it easier to see side dots on the neck.

Modern Prestige S is hardly worth the $1200 they ask for it (as was discussed in a number of topics before).

520 or 470 is an aesthetic choice for most people. 470 is more versatile, 520 looks extreme (it looks even better in person than on the pictures). Take your pick.

So is the quilted maple top on the S470DXQM worth the extra $30 (negligible I suppose) over the S520EX?What benefit does the quilted maple top offer?

Yeah, we traded a couple posts in other threads about the 2170. I have to agree that it's not worth the money -- but I think that guitar looks awesome. I played one at guitar center as well and it's nice. But yeah, $1200 for Prestige neck -- makes one think a little....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by sylent
dude the S2170 has the budinga strips on the neck so it stays or atleast stays strong against neck bowing. The guitar is beautiful ive seen it, i played its amazing thin body, but to me the s prestige and normal s, feel almost the same except the prestige is lil more or more comfortable. I dont like it as much as my Rg prestige tho :P.

but if you can afford a S prestige get the Rg1570 for more range on the edge pro, basswood which is also good, and uh HSH but i heard many people dont use the configuration that much and they stay on the humbuckers. I use the whole 5-way switch for different music. plus Made in Japan it owns the Korean models in all ways.

S or RG well up to you man....

Yeah, I considered the RG1570, but I really hate the paint job on that. Many people love it, but I think it looks cheap. If I do go RG, I will go with the 1570 (and just live with the paint job), but I think I'll end up going with an 'S' series.

Yeah, made in Japan is another bonus. What year did the RG1570 come out?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Pifty -- the links in your signature were informative as well -- thanks!
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500

1570 was introduced in 03 as a replacement to the 570, by the way.

Edit: quilted maple top on the DXQM would not be thick enough to affect the sound character, really. I'm pretty sure it's just a veneer.

I think we done hijack'd the topic
Last edited by pifty at Sep 11, 2006,
OK. I just ordered the RG1570 from Musician's Friend. I went out and played it (and the S470DXWM) at Guitar Center and I love the feel of it compared to the S470. I don't care for the paint job at all, but I'll live with it.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500