I've been looking at Fender guitars for a couple weeks now, and have picked out some that I like, but none are Strats. I'd like to know what the best Fender Strats for under $700 are so I can see if I like them or not. I don't want to just buy a Tele or a Mustang and then kick myself later because I didn't look into Strats enough.

So, what are the best Strats for under $700?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
mexican ones
Quote by master
Yep. It was my birthday and I was wanking in my room and all of a sudden my whole family came jumping in yelling "SURPRISE!!" I guess they were the ones who ended up being surprised.
Mexican one + Modded to your choice with the left over money? Although that Jimmy one looks awfully good too....
Carvin Bolt? I know it's not a Strat per-se, but a really really nice copy. Don't think you'll have much luck trying one out though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I really meant new Strats...I know I can find used MIA ones for that price, but buying used isn't an option because there aren't any shops near me that carry used guitars and I don't trust Ebay.

So, please try to keep it to new models. Also, I'd prefer a real Fender Strat over a copy.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I remember back in 1999, I bought a new Fender American Standard Stratocaster for $699 with a case at the now defunct Mars Music. I think the American strats are called something else now, and they have the Highway 1's for around the same price. I have never played one, but a buddy of mine says it is pretty nice for the money.
I've played Highway one's and, while they're good, they aren't really worth the $750 price tag.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Either a Jimmie Vaughn signature or a Deluxe Player's Strat. Take a look at both.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I guess it really boils down to what kinda flavor you're looking for...

Jimmy Vaughan signature
Buddy Guy signature
Classic '50s
Classic '60s (my personal fav)
Koa Limited Edition (absolutely beautiful in 3-tone 'burst... )
Aerodyne

If by chance you're looking something with a nice punch then you're probably better off just picking whichever you like the looks/feel of and then changing out the electronics.
I would go with the Fender 50's or 70's stratocaster MIM. You have to get one w/ all single coil pickups. It's not a strat without all three. I actually think the Mexican ones sound better than the american. Just my opinion. Many people probably disagree.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Basically, I'm looking for a guitar to play a lot of prog/rock stuff like Pink Floyd and experimental stuff like The Mars Volta, but still be versatile enough to cover just about everything else besides metal.

Would a Strat be the best option for this, or would something a little different be better? I'm also looking at some Tele's (which have been used by Pink Floyd and The Mars Volta), as well as Cyclones (both the regular H/S version and the S/S/S version), and the '65 Mustang Reissue.

Which would fit what I want the best? A Strat, or one of these other options?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Basically, I'm looking for a guitar to play a lot of prog/rock stuff like Pink Floyd and experimental stuff like The Mars Volta, but still be versatile enough to cover just about everything else besides metal.

Would a Strat be the best option for this, or would something a little different be better? I'm also looking at some Tele's (which have been used by Pink Floyd and The Mars Volta), as well as Cyclones (both the regular H/S version and the S/S/S version), and the '65 Mustang Reissue.

Which would fit what I want the best? A Strat, or one of these other options?

A BRAND NEW AMERICAN STRAT FROM GUITAR TRADER FOR $699 THERE IS NO CHOICE http://www.guitartrader.com/itm.icl?pid=32216&orderidentifier=icat_orderID&utm_source=newsletter_sep06&utm_medium=marketing
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Nashville-Power-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510476

just to add to the mix. power teles with a strat pickup between two tele pups.
i love how this guitar plays.

below are the strats in ur range,
for $750 is the highway 1. i think with the new upgrades this year, it might be worth the extra $50, and another look. i dont see it as upgraded here tho. to find one u might need to look around a little.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+11&Ntk=All&Ntt=fender+strats&Nty=1&page=1

do any of them look good to you? you might not be a strat guy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011