Guys, this is ****ed up. Yesterday I was practicing. I was pretty happy because I was sounding damn good if I say so myself. Anyway, suddenly my volume just kept dropping and dropping until I could only hear what my electric guitar sounded like without an amplifier plugged in. At first, I'm like, okay, I've had this for a big so maybe my tubes are shot.

So I bring my amp into the local guitar guy. He plugs my amp in, plugs my guitar into it(although using a different chord, I suppose), and it MAKES SOUND. It sounds damn good and just like my amp is in working order. He told me maybe my cord is ****ed up.

So I bring my guitar home. I plug it in with the same cord and it works fine. I only practice for about 10 minutes. Then I decide to put on my new D'addario 11s blues/jazz rock that I just bought. After I put them in, my amp pulls the same old ****. It still turns on, and the light is still on, but no sound is emitted from it.

What the hell is the problem? The guy checked my tubes and said they looked fine. He said two were looking a LITTLE "microphonic"(or something like that), but that I should wait till the rest of them are shot before replacing them. He said that they looked pretty good overall, and that I should have a decent amount of playing time left. Is this guy an idiot or is he right? I've never heard of people calling tubes "microphonic".

So - my tubes could be shot. It could be my guitar. It could be my amp. It could be my cable. I've tried different outlets so don't suggest that.

Please, UG, help me. Without my guitar, I am nothing.

For reference, my gear is a Agile AL-3000 and a Peavey Classic 30. Damn find instrument/amp if I say so myself.

HELP!
-XKR
Last edited by XKR at Sep 11, 2006,
How hard is it to just try a different cord? (and yes, it's spelled cord.) It could be anything, but try a different cable first.
I did try another one of my cords, and I'm going to edit my post right now as to not displease you.
-XKR
Was your amp new or used when you bought it?

You might want to get your guitar electronics checked out, I don't know how well Agile electronics are.
Quote by xanavi
Was your amp new or used when you bought it?

You might want to get your guitar electronics checked out, I don't know how good Agile electronics are.

Fixed.

If you were at the music store, why didn't you try another guitar, thus possibly ruling out one of your problems
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
my guitar worked at the guitar store though

does this sound like a tube problem? like i said, my amp turns on, the lights go on, just no sound comes out. is there any sign the tubes would give away if they were shot?
-XKR
It's your tubes, I'm 99% sure. And microphonic means they're prone to picking up or emitting noise. Do you hear static at all, even when your guitar's volume is off but the amp is on? And if a couple are microphonic, that's not good. How old are your tubes? Also, is the amp under any sort of warranty? If it's not your tubes, this could be an expensive fix. It might also not be your power tubes.

The way to test your tubes.

(1) Turn your amp on. Do they arc or glow blue when you turn your amp on?

(2) Make sure nothing is plugged into it, but the volume's on. Let the tubes get warm. Turn off your standby. What color are they glowing?

(3) With nothing plugged in but your volume on, tap your tubes, both preamp and power amp, with either your fingernail or the eraser end of a pencil. Do you hear any noise coming from your amp when you do that?
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 11, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's your tubes, I'm 99% sure. And microphonic means they're prone to picking up or emitting noise. Do you hear static at all, even when your guitar's volume is off but the amp is on? And if a couple are microphonic, that's not good. How old are your tubes? Also, is the amp under any sort of warranty? If it's not your tubes, this could be an expensive fix. It might also not be your power tubes.

The way to test your tubes.

(1) Turn your amp on. Do they arc or glow blue when you turn your amp on?

(2) Make sure nothing is plugged into it, but the volume's on. Let the tubes get warm. Turn off your standby. What color are they glowing?

(3) With nothing plugged in but your volume on, tap your tubes, both preamp and power amp, with either your fingernail or the eraser end of a pencil. Do you hear any noise coming from your amp when you do that?

yea i did that, and it sounded like the inside of a lightbulb.
1) I just turned my amp on, and the tubes didn't change colors or light up anything. They don't appear any different from when they were off. But, I've never really looked at the tubes when my amp was in proper order, so I dunno if they are supposed to glow or not. They are definately not blue. I'm not sure what you mean by "arc"

2) Again, no glowing that I can see

3) I heard some noise from tapping them, but it just sounded like the noise that I am supposed to get from tapping my tubes.

Does no glow = shot tubes? I'm probably going to take my amp back tommorrow or on wednesday.

Thanks for the help, and keep the suggestions coming.
-XKR
Do you have a volume pedal?

If so, unlug it from your setup, who knows, maybe you're pressing your foot on it unknowingly, thus reducing your volume slowly to nothing.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by greendayguitar
Do you have a volume pedal?

If so, unlug it from your setup, who knows, maybe you're pressing your foot on it unknowingly, thus reducing your volume slowly to nothing.

umm....i think that would be a verrry obvious solution to the problem...however, the tubes seem like the culprit.
k. I took it into the guitar shop AGAIN today and it worked fine. I took it home and started practicing, and about 15-20 minutes in it did the same thing. It kept decreasing in volume until eventually I couldn't hear ****. The guy at the store said he didn't think I needed new tubes, but really this does sound like a tube problem.

The thing is, if my tubes are ****ed up, why does my amp work for like the first 15 minutes of every day, then start ****ing up? Does not playing my amp for half a day somehow allow it to get enough power to work for a few minutes, or what?
-XKR
Does your amp shut off after the 15-30 minutes? is the amp plugged into a power strip, maybe theres a lack of power going to your amp or something.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
yeah..maybe theres something wrong with the power source?

like your house?
maybe you don't have enough power..hm..
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Does your pinky keep hitting the volume knob on your guitar?
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
it's probably your tubes, as they warm up, something happens. it's not like it would cost you an arm and a leg to get new tubes.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Try new tubes. Can't hurt to have some spares around.

About the glow: if they're all not glowing, it's your amp's problem. It's not feeding the 12ax7's the proper heater current, they won't work. If all your tubes aren't lit, then it's your amp.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
umm im thinking that if your gradually loosing volume that your tubes are either geting too much power or not enouph power. ive had something similar happen but it was just the skp shorting out after about 20 min. so you could check that too.
^Uhhh
Do you know anything about amps electronically?

No offense, but if you don't know what you're talking about, please don't make suggestions. This applies to all people...it's just that something you say could actually affect this guys gear, so you need to be careful about what you say.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Well, good thing I didn't buy new tubes. The guy at Goodwins Music Store said my amp has internal problems, because the tubes appear to have plenty of life in them. I don't remember the specifics but he said there was a probably a problem with the circuitry or some**** like that. Anyway, I already bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(and I ****ing LOVE it) to replace my Peavey.

Do you think Peavey would fix my amp(for a price obviously) if I sent it to them? If they fixed it, I could sell it and make some of my money back.
-XKR