Hi,
If I were to buy my son a new guitar, what would you guys prescribe? I'm lookin for under 800$ (CAN)

He plays mostly ROck/Metal
If he is into complex metal (by that I mean not just downtuned chugging) I'd recommend an Ibanez RG1570 ($750 new US) but I recommend that to everyone cause thats what I play and I like it a lot.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=513105

This is a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser...649.99 buddy.....its beautiful and has great distortion..perfect for metal
Tradition MTQ Series Electric Guitar
Excel Strat Knock-off
Marshall MG10CD Combo Amp
Behringer V-AMPIRE LX120 Combo Amp
MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive Stompbox
Korg Tonework AX10G Multi-Effects Processor
Danelectro Fab Metal Distortion Pedal
Try something like a Jackson Dinky or something from the Ibanez RG series. Either would be a good starter guitar at least.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
ya, the best thing for him would be an Epiphone Les Paul (standards are around 550 and customs are around 750, this is Canadian and with tax) or something like a Fender Stratocaster (american made, for like 700 bucks) or if he has never played before and you dont know if hes going to keep playing, get him a Fender Stratocaster that is Mexican made. They are just lower grade but around 200-250 bucks cheaper. Thats what i would say, and all prices are Canadian, so good luck.

EDIT-heres some pics of the guitars.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=45&CollectionID=6

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--Stratocasters--m-02_962_960--brand-94--src-Y0604GL0GOOGLE00.html?gclid=CJ_ex5TcpocCFQW4PgodoHfs8g
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Sep 11, 2006,
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle
I wouldn't listen to above poster. No offense

Its all what kind of music your into, i personally dont like shecters or ibanez, for what they represent and the harder music they play, thats all. With the ones i picked, you can play anything and itll sound good, and, its a guitar you can pull out into public and have people (all kind of people, not just guitar players) admire the guitar.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
oh srry i should of made this clear

He's played for like a year and has a Squire bullet (?) I believe its called, something like that at least.

It was cheap and I know he would like a better one. Thx for the replies tho

PS. Nothing thats strictly made for Metal because he does play a fairly wide variety
Someone mentioned the Schecter Hellraiser...

It might be a good choice. It's not as agile as the one a recommended (rg1570) but it'll be good for different styles and it is one of the better looking guitars ever imo.
well if he do wouldve played just metal one of those shecters or ibanez wouldve done, but since hes into the other kinds of music id go with the les paul, cause they last a long time are good solid guitars that can be used for acoustic stuff as well (such as softer stuff, and finger picking).
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle
Someone mentioned the Schecter Hellraiser...

It might be a good choice. It's not as agile as the one a recommended (rg1570) but it'll be good for different styles and it is one of the better looking guitars ever imo.

What do you mean by agile?
Quote by justin_fraser
Its all what kind of music your into, i personally dont like shecters or ibanez, for what they represent and the harder music they play, thats all. With the ones i picked, you can play anything and itll sound good, and, its a guitar you can pull out into public and have people (all kind of people, not just guitar players) admire the guitar.

You dazzle people with your skill, not your look. You need to sort out your priorities. Unless you reccomended a HSS strat, which you didn't, it won't be fit for rock and metal, and that is the music his son is into. An Epiphone Les Paul simply won't last compared to an Ibanez or Jackson, and where did you get the idea that an Epiphone is good for Acoustic sounds?

Definately look into the Jackson Dinky and Schecter Hellraiser. You can get a great metal tone out of the Seymour Duncans that are in most Schecters anyways, just make sure you get a double humbucking set.
High as tits
What do you mean by agile?

The RG1570 has a real thin/flat neck. It's easy to play faster passages on a thinner neck (imo). The Hellraiser has a thicker neck, like a Les Paul. Basically, ibanez suited more towards, but not limited to lead guitar. The Hellraiser is more of a rhythem players guitar (which sounds better in your situation since he has only been playing 1 year)
my personal favorite in the epiphone/gibson line are the SG guitars, good for anything, but i love les paul's too, and i have a Schecter C-1 Elite, and it can do everything, especially rock/metal, but i've played blues and country on it and it sounds good for it too and it has coil tapping too so it'll sound somewhat close to a single coil if you want or humbuckers, the schecter's aren't just for rythm either, you can go pretty fast on em if that's what you like, sure, it's not as easy as on an ibanez neck, but it can be done
Yea, you can definately still shred a Hellraiser. Jeff Loomis plays the 7 string version (even bigger neck) and he still flies around like its nothing.
get him something you'd like as well, just in case.

i think SA's are neat guitars, some have the bridge pickup that can go from single to humbucker, as well
I'd suggest you take your son to the shop and tell him his limits with your wallet, then let him run around for an hour.

In the year that he has been playing, he maybe have become very use to the Squier's neck, which is that of a Strat or Tele or whatever. In this case, if you bring him home a Les Paul, which have thicker necks, he might have difficulty playing it.

It's one thing to have a good guitar, but if it's a good guitar that doesn't feel comfortable to him, it isn't worth much.

As for which guitars, I've heard some pros and cons about the Epiphone Les Pauls, so be careful when choosing one of them. I've heard great things about the Epiphone G-400, and I've also played a few Schecters myself and liked them very much. Hagstroms are also very nice guitars in that price range.

Chances are he'll want and/or need at least one humbucker... so if you're getting a Strat (which is also a great choice) make sure you get a Fat Strat.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
That is good advice.

However, I played a squier for about a year before I moved up to my next guitar which was an Epi Gothic LP. It did have a MUCH thicker neck but after a week of playing it felt fine. I remember, about a week of playing the new LP I tried the old crappy squier and it was the one that felt wierd. I got used to it, I'm not saying he will.

Now I'm playing an RG1570 which has one of the thinnest necks of ALL guitars. So, just keep that in mind.
Thx guys !

Maybe a new amp would help too?

He has this practice amp that came with the guitar. It just says Epiphone on the front so I can't help much with model. But does the amp play a large roll in how the guitar sounds? Or will this do?
Yeah, no doubt it's managable to change your style of play or get used to a different neck of guitar.

But some people just have something against thick necks.

Personally, I like to feel all of the guitar when I hold it. I prefer something heavier with a thicker neck, since my fingers are mobile enough to allow movement. Mind you, I love my Telecaster... It's all preference.

And playability preference is the single most important thing when choosing a guitar. Only your son can do that. IMO.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Quote by AcidYoshi
Thx guys !

Maybe a new amp would help too?

He has this practice amp that came with the guitar. It just says Epiphone on the front so I can't help much with model. But does the amp play a large roll in how the guitar sounds? Or will this do?

First of all, what a kickass dad for buying him all new stuff. You guys win the lottery or something? Is this stuff a surprise present?

Secondly, the amp ampsolutey (eh?) plays a vital role in the way the guitar sounds. When I upgraded to my second guitar I also upgraded to a better amp.