I decided to remake an old bass of mine, but i think I may have made the mistake in defretting it... Will flatwounds or just the flat out fretless sound not work with heavier rock music? I think i just kicked myself in the nuts on this job.
Just as long as I can still cut through im happy as hell. I was listening to some of jaco's stuff and its so quiet.
fretlesses own, and it should work. What you should worry about is hoping YOU can play it in a metal band
basses used flats in the beginning, and fretless can add another texture to your music, and keep a good vibe

Les Claypool uses fretless about half the time
John Myung uses them on occasion
Jaco Pastorious doesn't use it, he hates fretless
John Paul Jones used fretless every so often
it's personal choice really. if you're in a metal band, then you'll probably put your bass through an od pedal, in which case will make it really not matter if it's fretless or not.

the thing is, it's hard to play the fretless bass anyway, much less play it in a metal band. if you can, then good for you.
Nothing's wrong with being different right? I think it would be a great idea, as long as you would be heard. That would be pretty cool sounding with a fretless in a metal band.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
I play in a metal band, and i find the fretless sound really fits in. its subtly different, and a distorted fretless sounds awesome
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
We aren't really a metal band. If you've ever heard bands like, Protest the Hero, or like The Fall of Troy, I guess you could say that were sort of like that.
I know, i was saying, if it works in a metal band, then its worth a shot in just general Heavy music. roll on Jazz with Blastbeats

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by stevetravale
We aren't really a metal band. If you've ever heard bands like, Protest the Hero, or like The Fall of Troy, I guess you could say that were sort of like that.

Hardcore?

It will work, I think.
"Hey You" by Pink Floyd employs a awesome fretless bass tone, and "Murder" by David Gilmour (on his About Face album) has the tastiest bass interlude--played by Pino Palladino.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by thealmightyRIS
Did he just say Jaco hated Fretless basses??

Towards the end of his career he used mostly fretted basses.
Quote by thealmightyRIS
Did he just say Jaco hated Fretless basses??

sarcasm

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Bumper
Towards the end of his career he used mostly fretted basses.

That was because he smashed/lost his fretless, and never replaced it before he died.
Whoever found the remains should keep it a humidity controlled, locked vault.

And then tell me the combination so I can break in and steal it.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by jaco de lucia
"Hey You" by Pink Floyd employs a awesome fretless bass tone, and "Murder" by David Gilmour (on his About Face album) has the tastiest bass interlude--played by Pino Palladino.

Did Waters actually use a fretless on it or is it just the tone he gets(how?)?
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Did Waters actually use a fretless on it or is it just the tone he gets(how?)?

waters used a fretted bass with flatwound strings.

Quote by stevetravale
I was listening to some of jaco's stuff and its so quiet.

his solo stuff is quiet, but listen to him with weather report, he is just as loud as any other member of the band.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
*Gasses for a six string fretless*

Good luck with the Fretless. It is nice to see more UG fretless players. I wish I was one, I just don't have the money for it.

Fretless will give your band a very original and distinctive sound. It should be a lot of fun.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I finally finished my fretless project after months of putting it off.

Hooray for crappy, short scale, de-fretted basses!
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

Good luck with the Fretless. It is nice to see more UG fretless players. I wish I was one, I just don't have the money for it.

Fretless will give your band a very original and distinctive sound. It should be a lot of fun.

i defretted my old tradition 4 string myself and put in the wood filler and sanded and finished it. you dont have to buy a new bass, just destroy an old one
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
basses used flats in the beginning, and fretless can add another texture to your music, and keep a good vibe

Les Claypool uses fretless about half the time
John Myung uses them on occasion
Jaco Pastorious doesn't use it, he hates fretless
John Paul Jones used fretless every so often

John Myung used it like on 3-4 songs... and those were all super slow ones.
haha
Quote by crazypeanutman
i defretted my old tradition 4 string myself and put in the wood filler and sanded and finished it. you dont have to buy a new bass, just destroy an old one

Thats exactly what i did, i hope it turns out well!
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

Thats the first time i've ever seen anyone use the GAS acronym on UG

If that is what you meant...

<_<
>_>

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by stevetravale
Thats exactly what i did, i hope it turns out well!

it turned out quite well in fact. very warrm tone from the rosewood board, and it still has those frett lines so im not entirey lost

ima put some active pups in it soon (the passive ones are declining steadily) and i put a very nice bridge on it. if anyone wanats to see it, or any of my equipment for that matter, i have a myspace i put the pictures on.

myspace
Quote by Mr. T
^ i dont like the dice otherwise nice

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by crazypeanutman
it turned out quite well in fact. very warrm tone from the rosewood board, and it still has those frett lines so im not entirey lost

ima put some active pups in it soon (the passive ones are declining steadily) and i put a very nice bridge on it. if anyone wanats to see it, or any of my equipment for that matter, i have a myspace i put the pictures on.

myspace

Thats a prett sweet bass.

I'm kinda worried about my neck, I can still kinda feel the lines when I run my fingers down the fretboard, should they be EXACTLY flush with the neck? I just don't want to sand it down much more and loose the radius, Or should i carefully and put in some more puddy?
Quote by IndieMetalhead
^ i dont like the dice otherwise nice

awww come on, how can you not like the dice
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by crazypeanutman
awww come on, how can you not like the dice

im more of a Knurled knob person. anything else is just weird to me

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by stevetravale

I'm kinda worried about my neck, I can still kinda feel the lines when I run my fingers down the fretboard, should they be EXACTLY flush with the neck? I just don't want to sand it down much more and loose the radius, Or should i carefully and put in some more puddy?