Page 1 of 2
I'm writing an article for my school newspaper on the rising popularity of indie music among teenagers. Right now, I am using Wolf Parade, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and Broken Social Scene as my main examples. Does anybody else have ideas of recent and successful indie bands that may have slipped my mind?
artic monkeys arent indie, death cab isnt anymore.
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by JET116
artic monkeys arent indie, death cab isnt anymore.

while they arent "indie" per se, they still retain the same sound.

and there is an indie sound.
I'm also thinking about the Decemberists, Interpol, and Starlight Mints, but they might not be popular enough, except for Interpol.
def. death cab and arctic monkeys, you should state the good part of being popular and the bad XD
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
you've got you're two different groups. your bands that are big because of pitchfork:

wolf parade, clap your hands say yeah, and broken social scene

and bands that are big because they've been played on the OC:

death cab, and the 'half million bands that don't fall under the millions of meanings there are for indie, but seem to get call that anyway'

mainly, i think you should define early what you think indie means then pick bands from there
Even if we weren't talking about Indie Rock, the Arctic Monkeys are still signed to Domino Records so they are 'Indie'.
^totally ._. (just showing my new avatar ;_; )
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
don't do an article about indie music popularity. you shouldn't make it more accessible to the average undeserving high school student. i think a more appropriate piece would be on who jessica simpson has slept with lately, or something along those lines.

maybe i'm in denial, but i can't support you furthering the disintegration of this genre. let them watch mtv in their own good time and convert when they've grown a brain.

by the way, cute avatar sponj. kiss

elitist much?

jesus christ, people complain when people listen to good music and then complain when good music starts getting popular
well, the way i see it, if the music doesnt change then its ok.

as long as the music is good.

where'd your post go?
touchy subject there. mostly due to the misinterpretation of what indie really is.
but you can't blame someone from liking good music. and obviously everyone who likes music will always listen to the better stuff, unrelated with their popularity status
Quote by sponj
touchy subject there. mostly due to the misinterpretation of what indie really is.
but you can't blame someone from liking good music. and obviously everyone who likes music will always listen to the better stuff, unrelated with their popularity status

I don't think it is really a misinterpretation. But more...ill-defined (for lack of a better term). Some people may always think that it is an "indie label/indie band" thing, while others will consider it a particular sound/genre, which it has developed into.
Quote by unplugtheradio
elitist much?

jesus christ, people complain when people listen to good music and then complain when good music starts getting popular

I don't want the people of my school to listen to the music I listen to, because they don't really appreciate the music, and it will cheapen the whole experience for me. Not to mention the popularity would probably change the bands music.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Sep 12, 2006,
yeah but how can i call bands like franz ferdinand indie and at the same time call sonic youth indie? not fair
what about... pop rock? post punk pop ;_;
^ Me three

There are plenty of "indie" rock bands gaining populrity in the mainstream thanks to one huge single (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys,Fran Ferdinand to name a few) who tend to be ****ty and on the other hand you have a lot of great artists that are just catching on with the hipsters (the Decemberists, Broken Social Scene,Sufijan Stevens are the major ones)

And Bright Eyes seems to fit in both catregories for some reason.

You could also write about Sonic Youth youth being together for 25 years and how much infkuence they've had on the genre AND how they're still going strong to this day, releasing great albums.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Don't forget to talk about the VU, the reason indie rock exists.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Well the Decemberists are actually on a major label now, I believe Capitol. Many people are into The Arcade Fire right now. Older bands such as Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control are now becoming popular again. Oh Iron and Wine and Animal Collective are also popular in the indie scene.
The best song will never get sung
The best life never leaves your lungs
So good, you won't ever know
I never hear it on the radio
Can't hear it on the radio
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
shindie is perfect. 12 props to you home sick alien. i hope you don't mind if i start using that

if nething id be offended if u didnt! spread that **** son!
ob-la-di ob-la-da
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Don't forget to talk about the VU, the reason indie rock exists.

if we're doing it that way, then you can't fail to mention the all-time greats Black Flag, who in terms of indie labels, self promoting and the whole DIY ethos, did more for indie than the other all time greats, VU
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
and there is no "indie sound". thats just bull****. if there was, then why would sonic youth, black flag, dinosaur jr, minutemen, bright eyes, elliott smith, and choke all be considered indie?
Quote by chrus
and there is no "indie sound". thats just bull****. if there was, then why would sonic youth, black flag, dinosaur jr, minutemen, bright eyes, elliott smith, and choke all be considered indie?

dont they all (for the most part) retain a sense of freedom and experimentalism?

to me indie is punk mixed with pop and then turned on its head.

its accessible but can still kick your ass and make you think.

i also think that i need more sleep.
Quote by unplugtheradio
dont they all (for the most part) retain a sense of freedom and experimentalism?

yeah. exactly. not a specific sound. which was my point.
Quote by unplugtheradio
but can't you tell that a band is indie just by listening to it?

yeah, but thats becuse its boldly contrasts with anything maintstream.
Quote by chrus
yeah, but thats becuse its boldly contrasts with anything maintstream.

then that would be the indie sound, no?
Page 1 of 2