for some reason, when i listen to music, i can't hear distortion for some reason.

like Black Sabbath, it supposedly has the distortion going for bass, but I find he has a smooth tone

what'd be a good example of bass distortion?
What Sabbath song have you listened to? You can only hear distoted bass on the opening riff of N.I.B and also at the start of the warning. Those two songs are on "Black Sabbath", thats when Geezer had ****e equipment resulting in distorted quality of sound. So yeah, listen to those songs.

EDIT: Other examples of distortion: Anesthesia (pulling teeth) by Metallica - loads of distortion and the Barbarian by Emerson Lake And Palmer.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Last edited by ratbollocks at Sep 11, 2006,
^dammit! I lost that CD!

I'll try and find a video, though

thanks

edit: i meant the song black sabbath, sorry
Listen to some RATM songs off of Evil Empire. Loaded with distortion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Call of Ktulu and the intro to Damage Inc. by Metallica also. In my band I use bass distortion a lot, but noone wants to hear it and we are suck, so it was pointless to mention it.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
A few primus songs.

Jerry Was A Racecar Driver chorus
John the Fisherman intro.
And some more.
i thought John the fisherman was like that because he was flamecno strumming

or do you mean the whammy bar stuff?

I'll check it out.
most queens of the stonage, EG mexicola
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by watchingmefall
Time is running out and Hysteria both by Muse

Actually, pretty much everything by Muse. Only the acoustic ones don't have distorted bass.

But...

Hysteria, opening riff. That's bass distortion.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
NIB is a perfect example. Its heavily distorted. So distorted it's often mistaken for guitar. Which pisses me off. Nirvana has some distorted bass if i recall. Haven't listened to them in a while.
i love distortion, it sounds great by its self without anyother instruments , but as soon as my guitarist ( in a metal band ) starts playing there is no deffinition between the bass and guitar. this sucks, any tips?
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
on the Sabbath album Paranoid, you can hear a small distorted clickish type sound between his notes , im guessin dead notes but they sound slightly different
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Rage !!!!!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss TR-2
Boss RV-3 (best pedal ever!)
Boss BF-3
Line 6 DL4
Peavy Delta Blues 2x10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
i thought John the fisherman was like that because he was flamecno strumming

or do you mean the whammy bar stuff?

I'll check it out.

Right after the drum intro
Quote by flyingmarlin
i love distortion, it sounds great by its self without anyother instruments , but as soon as my guitarist ( in a metal band ) starts playing there is no deffinition between the bass and guitar. this sucks, any tips?

Write the song so you have more time playing by yourself with the drums while he lets a chord ring out. That or have him turn your amp down- but if you are rooting everything, then loose the dist. or it will sound muddy.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by bassmanjoe08
on the Sabbath album Paranoid, you can hear a small distorted clickish type sound between his notes , im guessin dead notes but they sound slightly different

Yeah, probably still had the same screwed equipment from the first album. Although not quite as distorted.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Most of the time bass shouldn't be distorted. I only really like it in certain occasions. One bass solos or where chords are rung out for long periods of time but they bass continues speedy. 2. Some times a distorted bass sounds cool with a clean guitar. Not a big fan when everythings distorted oh. The bass gets lost in the fuzz.