I am posting this here because the people in this forum seem to be well rounded musicians with great knowledge of theory but also proper technique. I have a couple of specific questions about the Ashaped barre chord(not an A chord but the moveable A shaped form than can be moved all over the neck) anyway, where is your pinky located when you play this chord? Do you tuck it under the neck or keep it next to your other fingers? do you let the high e string ring out or do you mute it off? and do you barre your first finger over all six strings or just 5? any pictures of this chord form would be great.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I finger it this way:

--5--    1
--7--    4
--7--    3
--7--    2
--5--    1
-(5)-    1

() = Fretted but not played

Personally.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I finger it this way:

--5-- 1
--7-- 4
--7-- 3
--7-- 2
--5-- 1
-(5)- 1

() = Fretted but not played

Personally.

I have tried it that way and it seems really impractical
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
well the way my friend plays that is by barring with his index like normal, but the A shape he barres with the bottom part of his pinky. ive been trying this way, its hard to get used to but its better if you go up higher where there are smaller frets. you could also just barre the A part with you ring finger flat down like the index and just not play the high e string.

other than that i do like the person up top said just because thats how i learned in my chord book i started out with.

--5-- 1 <-----my friends way. i think ive seen clapton do it as well.
--7-- 4
--7-- 4
--7-- 4
--5-- 1
-(5)- 1
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Sep 11, 2006,
I wrap my thumb around to mute the low E.

I barre the higher notes with my ring finger.

I let my pinky hover above that sus note (a fret higher than the note on the B string).

That's what I do, and that's what I suggest.
I barre with index and ring, and though I generally don't pay attention as to whether the high e string is muted by my ring or not, I still make sure the e is fretted by my index, just incase I'm not muting it.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
anyone got any pictures? or could they maybe take a pic of themselves holding the chord
I would strongly suggest using just one finger, either the ring or pinky, for the 4th,3rd,2nd strings. I've seen some guys that use one finger per string (middle, ring, pinky fingers on 4th,3rd,2nd strings) which like someone else above said strikes me as real impractical because you can't shift that chord around as quickly as you could if you just used one finger. Also as bangoodcharlote mentioned if you use your ring finger then that frees up your pinky for doing sus chords, etc.
Quote by Hi9
I barre with index and ring, and though I generally don't pay attention as to whether the high e string is muted by my ring or not, I still make sure the e is fretted by my index, just incase I'm not muting it.

I do it the same way, although I can usually get the high e to ring clear in most positions.
Hi, I'm Peter