I picked up this amp in a pawn shop for 70 bucks. The 1484 twin twelve model. 150 watts of power and all tube. Now most of you guys that are familar with silvertone blow them off because they were made by sears but this amp is amazing. Some quality craftsmenship was put into it but well its a 1954 and it needs some work...First off the tubes, most of the original tubes are burned out. What brand do you guys recomend that will not break my wallet but still won't be ****. Also the reverb tank. I have the original reverb tank (which i found out is pretty rare and I have already had offers for it for around 300 bucks) where can I get a good solid replacement for it because even though it is original it sounds like crap...Honestly if I turn the reverb past 5 it sounds like i am playing through a rain barrel. Also if anyone else has some good suggestions on restoring old amps let me know. But let me tell you it sounds amazing and I have played through some nice stuff but this was a well made amp and a good deal for the price. Defintly and amp I will never part with
Quote by Toucan Sam
I picked up this amp in a pawn shop for 70 bucks. The 1484 twin twelve model. 150 watts of power and all tube. Now most of you guys that are familar with silvertone blow them off because they were made by sears but this amp is amazing. Some quality craftsmenship was put into it but well its a 1954 and it needs some work...First off the tubes, most of the original tubes are burned out. What brand do you guys recomend that will not break my wallet but still won't be ****. Also the reverb tank. I have the original reverb tank (which i found out is pretty rare and I have already had offers for it for around 300 bucks) where can I get a good solid replacement for it because even though it is original it sounds like crap...Honestly if I turn the reverb past 5 it sounds like i am playing through a rain barrel. Also if anyone else has some good suggestions on restoring old amps let me know. But let me tell you it sounds amazing and I have played through some nice stuff but this was a well made amp and a good deal for the price. Defintly and amp I will never part with

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how you could restore, but you definitly could. Vintage Celestion 30's might be good. My dad had a Silvertone as a kid and I might actually get it shipped from my grandparents' house to use as a practice amp. The amps were actually made by Fender too, just not nearly as good quality as Fender. Just like Epiphone is made by Gibson.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Last edited by Dilweed at Sep 12, 2006,
You should have put this in the gear building/customizing section though. It might get moved, but its no problem .
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Last edited by Dilweed at Sep 12, 2006,
I'm not sure what you're talking about knocking off on silvertones, they're considered hidden gems among vintage tube amps.

If I remember, Jack White uses 2 1484's with 6x10 cabs.

Anyway, you'd want 2x 6L6 power tubes and 4x 12AX7 preamp tubes and a 2x 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes. Although, you might be able to use 12ax7's for the 6CG7. JJ's maybe? Also, I think the stock speakers are jensons, they shouldn't need replacing unless they're damaged. If it works, it sounds like it doesn't need anything like a cap job, though that's something you might want to look into if you have some cash to burn, or if you wanna try and do it yourself.