How hard is it for guitar teachers to get a lot of students? Is it relatively easy for them to have enough students to teach full time, or is it harder than that? Does it really just depend on how well they're know in their community?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I'll bump this because I, too, am interested in the answer to this question.
hmm I think if you were to advertise in the yellow pages you could find a lot of students.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by Xenn99
How hard is it for guitar teachers to get a lot of students? Is it relatively easy for them to have enough students to teach full time, or is it harder than that? Does it really just depend on how well they're know in their community?

I wanted to play guitar but i could not find a teacher and i really suck when it comes to trying to teach myself something.

Once i found a guitar teacher, and my friends learned that i was learning guitar they stated they always wanted to play.

I realized that ALOT of people want to play the guitar, but they do not know where to look for a guitar teacher except for the expensive ones at Sam Ash or Guitar Center. If you were to go to a high-school and put out some flyers for your service, or post on something like Craig's list, you should more than enough students to fill your time.
Well few things make you good...

To be a good teacher in anything you have to be good at what you do. The step after that is you have to be a good teacher. The skills required for that are as follows, ability to commicate what you are talking about so the person understands it, the ability to sit there and not get frustrated with the student, a good nice additude, the ability to teach EVERYTHING the student should know. In your chase you would have to know and know well basicly music theory and all the stuff that goes along with being able to play the guitar.

Another thing to note is never have your rates super low, you will wanna find out the prices of everyone else that is teaching and find a middle ground in there. Do not be the person has to be paid the most, but don't be the person who has to be paid the least. Find a middle ground. The reason for this is if you offer very low rates people will doubt your skill, and you don't want that. The price your asking you need to BELIEVE that your worth it or no one will wanna stay because they think that perhaps you arnt a very good teacher. So as I said get info on how much everyone else is charing per hour, and you wanna find something some where in the middle of that.

Avertising is gonna be the hard part, you could put out add in the yellow pages, and in the news paper. Be sure to include what you teach, your expierance, and your prices. Also its a good idea to figure out how every else is advertising. I know some teachers advertise at guitar shops and stuff like that so go around to all of them and ask if they have a bulliten board just for that type of stuff.

This is something I have came across alot with people who teach other people is. Know what your customer wants. Basicly if your planning on living off of this you will probably have to give in to teaching the person anything they want, sorta runs that way with anything. But you should stress the importance of the basic's and music theroy. You need to sit down with them and explain what your teaching to them and why, as well as know what their goals are and what type of music they wanna play. Be sure not to sit here and just teach stuff you like.

These are alot of basic stuff to sit here and consider when teaching some one, probably a good idea to come up with lesson plans for it and a general idea how your gonna teach. But communication is a big step here and than reputation is what will carry you higher. But it will take a while to build up.

Hope maybe you find some useful information outa that.
I have been teaching guitar, bass, and saxophone in Exeter, NH for about ten years. I work out of a music store and they get me a good percentage of my students. I also have a very noticeable online presence. I work six days a week and my schedule is relatively full. I make a very modest living. Most students are not concerned with the ability of their instructor. They are more concerned with finding the right time slot as their schedule allows. In other words, having a good reputation is important, but it doesn't guarantee that you will stay booked solid all the time.
www.guitarstyles.org
Last edited by GuitarMC at Mar 16, 2009,