Page 1 of 2
Im starting to get into Elliott Smith and I wanna know what CDs I should buy, or what songs i should listen to, etc. I havent heard much of him but everything ive heard I loved, hes a great songwriter. Any suggestions?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Elliot Smith is my Musical idol and my favorite artist of all time

check out angeles, happiness, twilight, A fond farewell, bottle up and explode, miss misery, kings crossing
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Get Either/Or, it's my favorite album by him, and I've heard From A Basement On The Hill is amazing
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
listen to any and all of "From a Basement on a Hill" and worship it for its musical and lyrical brilliance

beyond that, any release really, elliott is one of the most talented muscians of the at least the last 25 years
Rock'n'Roll

#120 Member of the 'Linkin Park Sucks' Club. PM Whstripesrox to join.

what's on a dairy farm? Cows

what is a male cow? A Bull

What is a colloquialism for fallacy? Bullshit

little bit slow aren't we?
oh well, okay
sorry my mistake
I didn't understand
the white lady loves you more

those are some of my favorites.
Quote by Stop Messin'
Emo is an image, Hair Metal was a life style.
I think he's decent. From a Basement on a Hill has some good tracks. The vocal thing gets repetitive after a while.
Hi, I'm Peter
please search next time, but yes, Elliott is a god. Its a shame he had to go

get any cd by him, I have them all and I enjoy them all, however both from a basement on a hill and either/or are more 'user friendly'

I wrote a bad poem based on Elliott and this may be one of my favorite lines that I have ever written:
"If Elliot smith can die forever...
If we cant think of the terms to say together...
Should I let the thorn-words float us up to meet the rose parade of sky?"

anyway, those are my 3 cents, take em or leave em
Last edited by #1 synth at Sep 12, 2006,
Get Either/Or. Then XO. Then your set.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
I wrote a bad poem based on Elliott and this may be one of my favorite lines that I have ever written:

That shtick is shi.t

I sweat_bullets
Quote by #1 synth
please search next time, but yes, Elliott is a god. Its a shame he had to go

get any cd by him, I have them all and I enjoy them all, however both from a basement on a hill and either/or are more 'user friendly'

I wrote a poem about Elliott Smith too

A letter to Elliott Smith

You lived in something surreal it seems
All you had was your guitar and your dreams
And madness, your voice sang your sadness
The voice that brings tears to my eyes
Your sweet melodies play over the crying
It?s such a shame that you died
And all that?s left are the songs where you tried
To let everything flow out from your soul
You never really fit into the mould
And in the end you couldn?t fight
The night you were dead before twighlight
So this kiss is for you Elliott Smith
And maybe you?re gonna die along with it
And I don?t know where you?ve gone but no matter how far
I?m going to find you wherever you are

Keep in mind it was written a year or two back, when I was still a little angsty.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
I wrote a poem about Elliott Smith too

A letter to Elliott Smith

You lived in something surreal it seems
All you had was your guitar and your dreams
And madness, your voice sang your sadness
The voice that brings tears to my eyes
Your sweet melodies play over the crying
It?s such a shame that you died
And all that?s left are the songs where you tried
To let everything flow out from your soul
You never really fit into the mould
And in the end you couldn?t fight
The night you were dead before twighlight
So this kiss is for you Elliott Smith
And maybe you?re gonna die along with it
And I don?t know where you?ve gone but no matter how far
I?m going to find you wherever you are

Keep in mind it was written a year or two back, when I was still a little angsty.

Pretty good poem. It was stronger in the beginning, and got weaker towards the end, but nice all together.
He did some songs for the film 'Thumbsucker'. I don't kow if that's a soundtrack or the songs are on an album, but they were quite good. Suited the film anyway.
^There is a soundtrack, it's mostly songs by the main guy from the Polyphonic Spree but there are a few Elliott Smith songs on it. My friend is a big Polyphonic Spree fan and he has it, but I've not listened to it or seen the film. (http://www.amazon.com/Thumbsucker-Polyphonic-Spree/dp/B000AMJEIW/sr=8-2/qid=1158152988/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-2696490-8607831?ie=UTF8&s=music

Anyway, as for Elliott albums, I have Either/Or, XO and Figure 8..oh and the Basement II songs. Either/Or is probably my favourite, but I've not listened to XO much yet. But I will probably end up getting all of his albums eventually.
i just got into elliot as well

listened to memory lane.

shame i didnt listen before he took his life

couldve been just as big as the beatles with the right exposure.
It was stronger in the beginning, and got weaker towards the end, but nice all together

Just like Elliott.

He has many great songs. His exceptional songs to me are:

King's Crossing
Say Yes
Needle in the Hay
"Great music completely obliterates any conceptions of genre"

Recordnerd
I just listened to the rose parade

yeah, i like elliot...his music relaxes me
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
he's been my favourite artist almost from the moment i first started listening to him (Angeles). I think his first three albums stand far and above his later work (which i still like a lot). I would rate the albums Self Titled - Roman Candle - Eithor/Or - FABOAH - XO - Figure 8. If the 'Basement II' demos count as an album they would be fighting for a top three position.

If you like Elliott you should definitely give Heatmiser (his band) a listen too. They had three albums and an EP and they're all pretty good. The final album is much more elliott sounding than the others.
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
just go to elliottsmithbsides.com
great site to get unreleased music by him, look for Cecilia/Amanda
elliottsmithbsides.com only has the recently leaked demos now because too many people found out about it from pitchfork and rolling stone.

Quote by Unseen_hero
what album is the brunt of the good will hunting soundtrack from?

I like his acoustic stuff more than the 'big' sounding stuff on from a basement..

It's from Either/Or mainly, with one song from Roman Candle and the song Miss Misery made especially for the movie. This acoustic style is used in his first three albums if you're thinking of buying one.
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
Quote by Neely
I've just started listening to Elliott aswell. Oh Well, Ok and Everybody cares, Everybody Understands are my favourites.

You should go give Figure 8 a listen, great songs similar to those on it.

I agree with the poster who said that if the Basement II demos counted as a cd they would be in the top 3. Anyone else in love with Untitled ("Sticks & Stones")?

And Cecelia/Amanda makes me smile, even though if you listen to the lyrics it's quite sad.
The Good Will Hunting soundtrack has angeles, miss misery and between the bars which are three of my most favorite songs
Either/Or and Elliott Smith are probably good starter albums. From A Basement is amazing, once you crack its shell. Though my favorite would probably be Figure 8, I view all of his albums as equal but seperate entities.
I consider myself an Elliott Smith fanatic and my favorite album is definitly Roman Candle, it has such a distinct sound to it.
All his albums are great and complete masterpieces. He's a genius when it comes to songwriting.
Sent from my iPad.
Yeah. Elliott Smiths first three are more acoustic and then as he moves on (XO, Figure *, FABOTH) he gets more melodic, poppy, loud sort of style. I like his acoustic stuff alot but I tend to look at his last three albums with a slightly, different more open feel and enjoy them just as much, if not more.

Try to find a b-sides cd but I dont know if ull find a specific b-sides cd. His b-sides are good enough to make a record
I'm just getting into him, thanks to a video of him playing Angeles I saw. Such an amazing song, my other favorites are probably Waltz #2 and A Fond Farewell. The only full albums I have are Roman Candle and XO, of which XO is easier to get into.
I'm just getting into him now myself. I've always liked him since my mom would listen to XO in the car years before I ever picked up a guitar, but now I'm really starting to absorb him. I've got XO and Elliott Smith, though I haven't really delved into the latter yet. Truly brilliant stuff. He makes me wish to God I was a better vocalist.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Page 1 of 2