I'm 22 and have been playing guitar for about 10yrs, I have lost interest in it, my skills have suffered, I just don't have the confidence anymore to play.. PLEASE If someone could help me maybe give me some advice that would be great. I love music, every aspect of it.. Am I not suppose to play???

Link
Quit guitar.

And maybe pick up a new instrument to further your musical development.
Have you ever been in any bands?? What have you done already in this 10 yrs.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
You may try finding something that's new to you musically that really strikes your interest. Or just find some new dudes to jam with tat make you want to play better. But, the most important thing is that playing should still be fun (that's why they call it playing). If paying guitar isn't fun, then find another instrument. That's just what I'd do, though. I'm no expert.
Find what made you start loving guitar in the first place.
Originally posted by X Alkaline 3
Home plate is when she lets you take a dump on her chest.
Try listening to different music. If you listen to Rock, try Metal, if you listen to metal try Jazz, if you listen to Jazz try classical, and so on.

Try playing with different musicians - having one on one jam sessions and group jam sessions. If you're self tought try getting lessons, and don't forget to read through UG's Column and Lessons areas.

Even just have a listen to your favourite band, even if it's just one song which makes you feel cool - that could be the key to renewed inspiration.
Listen to Dance of Death by Iron Maiden, it'll make you want to play...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Alternate tunings definitely piqued my interests when I had lulls in the past. Now these lulls don't happen, because I have all these alternate tunings that I love

Slurgi
You say your "skills are suffering"? does that mean you can't play what you want due to limited ability, or you aren't keeping up with your practice? Check out the "Guitar Principles" site and the book. It has good thoughts about motivation and great practice advice.
Gear:
Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
PRS Tremonti SE - silver
Squier Telecaster - black
Line 6 Spyder II 75W
Crybaby 535Q WAH
I know the feeling, I put my guitars down and never touched them for over a year.
When I did start playing again I started digging into the music theory thing and it made it a lot more interesing. I discover new things everyday on the guitar. It's endless. I even play music that I wouldn't listen to just to figure out how they do it.
Good Luck!
Quote by SGstriker
Have you ever been in any bands?? What have you done already in this 10 yrs.

Ya I have been in a few bands back in highschool, it wasn't anything big we did play Battle Of The Bands. In college I was playing at this open mic place for about a year, now I'm just jamming with people
I don't know if this'll work for you, but listening to Jimi Hendrix makes me want to pick up my guitar

Even setting guitar goals for myself makes me want to play more, good luck with it
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Listen or watch videos of people you find inspirational, and make a couple of bands with people you like to play with.. That should last a lifetime
hmmm, i kind of like the suggestion to quit. i put mine down for almost 10 years and just recently started playing again. don't think you'll need- nor would i suggest this lenghty duration for you. maybe a few months.

i found that the best pieces i've EVER played, more compositions actually, was when i threw out any and all technical/theory knowledge what so ever. i approached the instrument (and my gear) as if i'd never seen such a thing before. and i attacked it with a paranoid intensity. at the time i was kind of in a comprimized mental condition, and reading Blood Curdling tales of Horror and the Macabre by HP Lovecraft helped ENORMOUSLY to unhinge my grasp on reality even further, which helped my playing. Lovecraft influenced my playing more that any style of music or particular musician. hence, i kind of made up the soundtrack for the stories kind of on the fly. i really started to hear and feel what i was doing, started creating images and moods instead of just practicing scales and copying songs.

luckily i was smart enough to get a 4 track recorder. i would recomend getting one. it will give purpose to your playing, if you're not in a band or jammiing with others.

EDIT: also during this time, i had an uncontrollable need to write. paranoid streams of consciousness about modern society, media and television etc. i'd have a notebook with me where ever i went. i'd go out drinking with friends and i would just sit in a corner writing writing writing. live bands - writing writing writing. commuting to work... which i think helped my creative process. i also did really stupid things like riding the new york subways, and walking deserted nieghborhoods at 3:30am by myself. writing down my experiences.

EDIT: i also have a guitar with a floating floyd and a Vox wah, and at the risk of sounding like and arrogant prick, to this day, i've never heard anybody use them to their fullest potential. it sounds like everybody who's trying to use the thing is completely terrified of it.

i find the most BOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIIIING music in the world is the super-technically intensive shred guitar like steve vai. sounds so coma-inducingly sterile. masterbatory

put your guitar in a closet, or in your attic. let yourself lose interest. its perfectly fine. only go back to it if and when you desperately start to need it again. maybe pick up a cello and create your own way of playing it.

the reefer didn't hurt either.
Last edited by sethp at Sep 12, 2006,
Hmm, best advise for someone who is thinking of quitting, its going to be:

Find that inspiritive moment, and try harder this time!

Ok, let me expand on this. People have mentioned "find what made you pick up guitar", and I have basically said it in a different way. But I have broadened this into saying the "inspired moment". You probably cant remember what made you pick up guitar, so dont spend too much time worrying about that. What I want you to do is to get out there and find it.

Dont just whine about it at home to us, get outside, with friends, go to a gig, watch some videos or just go for a walk in the park. You may not do exactly what you did ten years ago, but maybe this will flare up that spark. It is dwindling, but it has not gone out.

That really was the hard part, so now Ill compensate it with something relatively easier. Bloody go for it this time! Dont just kick around for a couple of hours, get bored and say "oh yeah, might as well go and play guitar". Have set practise times and follow them, study what you are playing and make sure you get it right. Its not about speed once you start out again, its about accuracy. Then work on speed.

The alternative method for trying harder is rather than having practise times, you instinctively say "OMG Im awake and I can play guitar now!" every time you wake up. This is unlikely, but it sure does work. Try to be enthusiastic at least, put effort in that you are willing to put in, dont grudgingly put it in.

You told us you love music, every aspect of it. Guitar is an aspect of music, so love it! Its a great instument, with a whole range of sound and music styles that you can play. You can become a virtuoso and shred like hell or get down with some blues. Go for a different style this time maybe, to broaden your mind of musical knowledge.

One last thing, and probably the most important. Music is for enjoyment, and its your duty as a guitar player to provide enjoyment. The ultimate goal of most guitarists is to play in front of a huge audience with millions of people watching in awe at your playing. Of course, this is unlikely, but its just as fun to play in front of an audience of 20, or even a single person listening to you. Take pride in what you do, and show it off to others.

I hope this sways your thoughts about guitar into picking it up again. Go for it, whats to lose? Plenty to gain. I tell you here and now, in thirty years time when theres no hope of you learning an instrument over again when you are that old, you will wish that you started playing now. Dont let this opportunity fly to the wind, seize it, and hold tight. Its going to be a wonderful journey.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Hmm, best advise for someone who is thinking of quitting, its going to be:

Find that inspiritive moment, and try harder this time!

Ok, let me expand on this...

lmfao im sorry but.. "inspiritive" isn't a word. it's inspirational. i didn't read the rest of your post, it's probably good, but just saying...
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by benjonotbanjo
lmfao im sorry but.. "inspiritive" isn't a word. it's inspirational. i didn't read the rest of your post, it's probably good, but just saying...

Yeah, I wasnt really sure, oh well, you know what I mean. Thanks for pointing that out though
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
If you play electric try acoustic, if you play acoustic try electric, write music, start singing, learn other instruments. New type of music, learn some theory.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!