help me decide which is best for me. I am mainly gonna be playing in my bedroom as I am not in a band at the moment, but I want to get an amp that would play well at low volumes or high volumes. Im thinking about buying a jcm900 100 watt 1x12 combo. On this one you can switch it from 100 watts to 50 watts. I would probably usually play on the 50 watts. Does the tone change when you only play at half wattage? will the 50 watt setting on this 100 watt amp sound the same as a JCM900 50 watt at fits full wattage?
Quote by adcdefg123
help me decide which is best for me. I am mainly gonna be playing in my bedroom as I am not in a band at the moment, but I want to get an amp that would play well at low volumes or high volumes. Im thinking about buying a jcm900 100 watt 1x12 combo. On this one you can switch it from 100 watts to 50 watts. I would probably usually play on the 50 watts. Does the tone change when you only play at half wattage? will the 50 watt setting on this 100 watt amp sound the same as a JCM900 50 watt at fits full wattage?

The JCM900 would be best for you. It has a lot more gain at low volumes. Youd also actually want to play with it at 100watts when playing at low volume because the sound is more 'cranked' than when its set at 50watts. And there is a big tone difference between 50 and 100watts. 50watts has a lot of 'sag' and it sounds loose...which is good for more classicy stuff. 100watts is a lot tighter and more punchy with a touch more gain and it retains that 'cranked' sound even at lower volumes.
thanks for the advice. does anyone know the answer to the last qurstion I asked in the original post?
^Well i have a 50 watt JCM900, and belive me its very loud! Im ctully getting another amp with less volume (and a bit more classic sound). Well actully a 50 watt JCM900 will not be the same as a 100 watt in 50 wtat mode. I think 25/50 versin is better for you man, its extremly loud!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^ Well actully a 50 watt JCM900 will not be the same as a 100 watt in 50 wtat mode.!

What is the difference?

the only 50 watt combos I can find on ebay are jcm800s, maybe i'll just go with one of those
100W will be only slightly louder then a 50w at both their maximums
But I'm pretty sure the 100 to 50W change knob on a combo does more than reduce wattage to reduce volume, because if comparing 50w and 100w heads, their max volumes would be very similar

But the 100W head will sound beter because it has more headroom.

remember, to double the loudness, quadrouple the wattage

If you can afford, maybe try an Attunator. I know Weber makes some nice cheap ones for Combos.

You would be able to get a cheap 900 easily off ebay, as they are common and low priced. 800s on the other hand because of their value, will have high prices.
^ It won't sound any better because it has more headroom ... The 50 watt model will sound a little different than the 100 watt model. Still, just because it is 100 watts doesnt mean it's uBerz6 R0x6orz.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Sep 12, 2006,
What is an Attunator? and do you think the jcm900 100 watt single speaker combo would be ok for low volume bedroom playing or should I wait until a 50 watt is available?
Last edited by adcdefg123 at Sep 12, 2006,
Neighter is good for bedroom playing, at those low volumes the power tubes would be hardly being used and this would leave your the majority of your distortion to pre-amp tubes

For bedroom playing on such amp, pre-amp distortion via OD pedal or the use of Distortion pedal, is a must for decent tone at low volume

If you want the full tone of your power tubes, Attenuators would help

They are devices which absorb some of the energy that drives the cabinet, hence lowering the volume. since this is done after the Power Tubes are saturated, the distortion given by power amp valves is added to the tone.
Unfortunately, the best one on the market, THD Hotplate works with only head/cab not combos. Weber has some attenuators which work for Combos I believe.

To be Honest, any tube amp can be played at bedroom level, it just won't sound as good. If you're set on getting a JCM non-the-less, I would get the best one for the price and not worry about wattage or how loud it is, as they can all be run at low volumes for practice in bedroom, just not at their best tone.

Remember, in tube amps, Volume=tone. The Power amp valves distort and add their on sonic qualities as volume increases. Additionally, The speakers add their own sonic qualities as they are pushed. No Tube amp can fully sound like it should be, at low volumes

If you desire the best tone at low volume, I would look at other amps such as VOXAD series or Roland Cube. If your set on a JCM, get the best one you can for the price.
1981 Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier 2 Channel
Sobbat Drive Breaker 1
Last edited by zenjirou at Sep 12, 2006,
yeaht the reason i wasn't gonna get a practice amp was because I plan on starting/ or joining a band at some point., and didn't want to have to buy a new amp when this happens. I have a 60 watt b-52 at-112 amp I bought from guitar center a couple weeks ago and it plays decent at bedroom levels. I think I'm gonna return it though if I can get a better used amp for just as much on ebay.
Why not just stick with the B-52 if you bought it new? Like what styles of music are you playing?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Why not just stick with the B-52 if you bought it new? Like what styles of music are you playing?

well I really just bought it so i could try it out, and I got it on sale since it was labor day. If I can get something better/more reliable on ebay for the same or less, I might as well do it. and i play mainly punk, some metal and various other rock music
What everybody is saying about the headroom being less on the 50w mode is obviously true. You will have more headroom with 100w. BUT, I've heard people say that with a JCM900 on the 50w option, it kinda sounds like you threw a blanket over the thing and its slightly muffled. Also, with EL34's it will sound better IMO with the 100w/pentode mode rather than the 50w/triode mode. But these differences are subtle. JCM900 Dual reverbs are pretty veritile compared to single channel JCM800's because the 900 is like having a multi-channel tube amp with a built in distortion pedal, and reverb. I think you'll be alright with a 100w or 50w JCM900 combo.
i think i'll just go to guitar center tomorrow and try out a few 100 watt tube combos to see how the volume is before i spend the money on this 100 watt amp on ebay.