I need to clear this up before I really start practicing sweep picking.

I saw an instructional video online and the guy uses his whole forearm to make the RH movement for sweep picking. I asked in another forum, and a guy said he uses his forearm too.

But wouldnt that tire the arm? Or cause tension? Currently Im using my wrist to make the sweeping.
My guitar teacher said that I need to incorporate more elbow movement into the motion, and I havent had any problems, if you think about it, it makes sense the wrist is built to make smaller movements and the elbow makes a bigger movement so thats how I would explain it.
"Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave" - Penguin
Oh ok.

Just making sure cos i have tendonitis at my elbow due to practicing picking wrongly when i was a noob(still am). Just want to make sure im not making any mistakes.
A combination.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
most of the motion should come from the wrist.

Its basically impossible to do a 6 string sweep without moving your elbow or shoulder in the least
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
im not really sure ive never inspected my technique and my guitars 4 floors away so im not about to but my gues is a combo
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
it is a combination of both elbow and wrist but your wrist is used to mute the strings... you elbow does the up and down motion and no it doesnt tire the elbow... think of it as slow strumming using you elbow but your wrist should mute the strings... i thought it was the wrist but i experimented and figured out that the elbow does the up and down motion
I say it mainly comes from the elbow, it depends how many strings you are sweeping, if it's 2 or 3 then less elbow more wrist, otherwise mainly elbow. Imagine a string tied round your elbow , like it's on a pulley pulling up and down, that's what i was tought at the institute anyway.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
I personally use almost 100% wrist when sweep picking also flare my fingers out on the down stroke a bit too, that goes for 3 string to 6 string sweeps. Im self taught also so im not sure if thats correct technique but its what works for me.
The benefit of using your elbow is the palm mute. When you use your elbow, your palm glides across the strings near the bridge, as your palm is moving in time with your fretting hand, the palm should mute each string right after it's played.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus