Hey I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on the best way of picking up speed on the guitar (like slayer/dragonforce speed) and how long roughly it should take to achieve this.
Move your hand quicker?

But seriously now - practice with a metronome.
Economy pick and alternate pick.

Well..you will never be as good as them because they have been practicing guitar for 50 years already, and they practuce 63 hours a day, unless you can do that, no.
You need a guitar with a great neck.. find out which picks and strings are best for you.. then stick to that and practice as much as possible. Try Guitar Speed Trainer. You can download it off limewire then crack it. It's a great help.

Like someone else said, economy picking is essential!! If you're struggling with a riff, try starting with an upstroke instead of a down.. or vice-versa.. also practice string skipping etc..
There's no easy ways to do that. It have to tave just 2 things: discipline and time to practice.
Like said above, the way to play the fastest posible is with alternate picking and economy picking when necessary (use your wrist movement not your elbow).

How long to achieve this? That vary from each player. In my case, i can play fast riffs (fast at least for me) like Damage Inc, Angel Of Death, and that took me like 4 - 5 months constantly practicing focusing on tremolo picking.
Make your right hand pick upwards as soon as you have downpicked, so it becomes like a rebound automatic response. Also practice the chromatic scale running up and down the neck and use ALL four fingers, the more independant your fretting fingers will be the better your playing will be for speed.

There really is no other way than to practice, and if you don't enjoy it I would seriously start questioning your reasoning for picking up the instrument.
Quote by munchielover
Hey I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on the best way of picking up speed on the guitar (like slayer/dragonforce speed) and how long roughly it should take to achieve this.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172&page=1&pp=20
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/

Quote by smb
Move your hand quicker?

But seriously now - practice with a metronome.

Practicing with a metronome improves your timing, not your speed.
Quote by Invictious

Well..you will never be as good as them because they have been practicing guitar for 50 years already, and they practuce 63 hours a day, unless you can do that, no.

theres only 24 hours in a day. go back to 1st grade.
I don't think that was meant to be taken literally... he took the everyday notion of time and mixed it with the absurd...hence...joke.
Maybe Dragonforce and Slayer grew up on the planet Jupiter?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Not likely, considering they're right handed guitarists - they'd be choking the bishop with their left hand.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
As someone said earlier use a metronome to practice scales and chromatics. Your emphasis should be on accuracy and not just speed. When you can play it accurately a certain speed, then increase the speed. Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking.
Quote by Ryan1021
As someone said earlier use a metronome to practice scales and chromatics. Your emphasis should be on accuracy and not just speed. When you can play it accurately a certain speed, then increase the speed. Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking.

I've heard that anchoring inhibits proper speed.
Quote by Ryan1021
Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking.

It's customary to know what the fuck you're talking about before you go giving advice, you know.
Quote by Johnljones7443
It's customary to know what the fuck you're talking about before you go giving advice, you know.

So what part was wrong, the anchoring or limiting the movement part? I am asking honestly. If I am wrong I will stand corrected, but I was always told that it is a good idea to use your pinky finger as an anchor.
Anchoring, i used to do it unfortunately, but stopped with relative ease and can pick a hell of a lot faster. Anchoring causes injuries.

Quote by Bazilisck311
Not likely, considering they're right handed guitarists - they'd be choking the bishop with their left hand.

What the hell are you talking about righties use the right hand for penis fun, lefties use the left hand. Those are their stronger hands you see. Unless i'm getting it wrong and missing out on a whole world of pleasure
Quote by Ryan1021
So what part was wrong, the anchoring or limiting the movement part? I am asking honestly. If I am wrong I will stand corrected, but I was always told that it is a good idea to use your pinky finger as an anchor.

This... 'Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking' is complete and utter bollocks.

I don't really want to go into because trying to convince people otherwise gives me a headache these days, trying reading up on it - and don't listen to anyone who advocates anchoring your hand to the guitar.

Edit: oh & apologies for being snappy.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 12, 2006,
It took me about 4 weeks to perfectly tremolo pick, and then another 2 months perfecting it and speeding it up. Like play an open string slowly, up down up down, or make up a neat riff or something, and keep playing it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
This... 'Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking' is complete and utter bollocks.

I don't really want to go into because trying to convince people otherwise gives me a headache these days, trying reading upon it - and don't listen to anyone who advocates anchoring your hand to the guitar.

Thanks.
Masturbate as quickly as possible then try the same on the guitar....
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by jezjr48
theres only 24 hours in a day. go back to 1st grade.

He was probably refering to this.
Quote by smashingchicago
Masturbate as quickly as possible then try the same on the guitar....

har har.

The old masterbate joke. Still as stupid and unfunny as the previous thousand
times I've seen it in posts. Just can't get enough of that one. I hope I see
it another thousand times....
^I'd happily read that another 1000 times if I never saw 'Also you should try to anchor your pick hand to the guitar, and limit most of the movement in that hand to your thumb and index finger when picking' again!
Quote by Invictious

Actually, its not hard to work up to Slayer speeds.
Dickless.