Hey guys,

I was flicking through videos on YouTube, and I found a really great tone, but I'm not sure how to achieve it, or quite what it's characteristics are...

Here's the link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IR25Vfn-c

At 1 minute 40 seconds, Tom Delonge is Playing a '56 Goldtop with P90's, seemingly through a Diezel VH4 Amp (I think)... Now bear with me that it's Tom DeLonge, I hate him and his live tone, and his singing... But these are Jerry Finn the producers' guitars and amps... And that tone at 1:40 is SEXY.

Now what is that tone? How would you describe it? It sounds like high-gain turned right down, with lots of bass and reverb... Is that right?

Is that tone coming mainly from the P90's or the amp?

Cheers.
The tone is a Hi Gain through a P90, it's similar to the Green Day - I Fought The Law solo tone...... with more reverb....

It has the girth of a Humbucker, yet articulate as a Single, it's nice, but there are better tones........ and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better BANDS out there
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Oh yeah I know, don't get me wrong, I'm not really much of a Blink fan these days, I've gotten pretty eclectic tastes now - from Indie, through punk (REAL punk hehe) through emo, through metal, to industrial. Pretty much anything with a guitar in lol. I just wanted to hear what P90's sounded like, and I liked that tone, and was just wondering if that was actually what a P90 sounded like, or whether that was more the amp...

Cheers for the reply
Oh that............ if he's really using the VH4, then it's the amp.............

Only a sh1thead can make a bad tone out of that beast @@@

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by bluespunkmetal
The tone is a Hi Gain through a P90, it's similar to the Green Day - I Fought The Law solo tone...... with more reverb....

It has the girth of a Humbucker, yet articulate as a Single, it's nice, but there are better tones........ and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better BANDS out there

There might not be any better tones to him.

It's subjective for ****s sake. -.- If you're going to say "That tone isn't good enough, get a better one" or "I hate that guy playing guitar through that amp, and his band sucks", then get out of the thread. People start threads asking for help with something, and almost every single time someone has to stray off and bash something or say whatever they're looking for isn't good enough.

TS: It's the amp that gives the majority of the tone.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^Relax man, it's late night in my place, and gettin real sleepy, so I guess I have the right to bash sell outs !!! HAHAHAH

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone !!!
But Blink is just not my style....................

Oh yeah, that amp rawkzorz

Keep the faith, baby!!
^I never said anything about offending anyone. UG just has too many people who bash stuff instead of providing help to threadstarters. It gets annoying seeing it all over the place.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Hehe no offence taken... I used to be a Blink fan when I was 13-14 so they have sentimental value, but it's been 4-5 years so my tastes have developped... That said though, although he can't play, Tom DeLonge seems to stumble across good gear and tones sometimes.
He's rich...... Everyone rich person that knows how to play music always has great gear......... from Steinway & Sons, Diezels, Suhrs, PRSs, Dumbles, Stratovariusss

Keep the faith, baby!!
Cool cool. So you think the sound is mainly amp-based? Hehe, given I don't have £4000 to pay for an amp... What cheaper amps, say for around £800-£1000, are comparable to a Diezel (if at all?!)
uh........ uh........... uh........ not at that price range.........

Perhaps a Carvin Vai Legacy which is a poor man's Bogner 101B, a boutique amp also comparable to the Diezel vh4

Keep the faith, baby!!