Hi, I've recently decided to start into Classical Guitar playing. I tried doing a search (all be it not very well) and came up with a lot of stuff I couldn't sift through. Are there any sites that I could get a basic run-down of the technique for playing, as well as some guitars that are good for classical playing (I'm single and in the Military, so I have an endless budget ). Thanks beforehand for all of the help.
Classical guitar isn't really something you teach yourself. (I did, to an extent, but I'm apparently unusual). Classical guitar isn't really what you'd call basic, so their aren't many basics. Sorry to be unhelpful.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
dont listen to that retard. you can learn anything you want by yourself. try searching the lessons here and use google. i dont have much experience with it though so its up to you.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Hmm untrue in my opinion. You can learn yourself, watching videos, reading up on it, listening to recordings. But the teacher is the one who guides you, spurs your progress and keeps you on the right track when you steer off.

Basically, you have a high chance of going 'wrong' somewhere if you learn on your own. A teacher will help you progress faster than you would on your own. Note that I said 'wrong', because there isn't any wrong method to playing, just ineffective and unconventional technique. And there has to be a good reason why conventional technique is being taught strictly.
Quote by imLoUsY
Hmm untrue in my opinion. You can learn yourself, watching videos, reading up on it, listening to recordings. But the teacher is the one who guides you, spurs your progress and keeps you on the right track when you steer off.

That's what i meant about not teaching yourself. Classical is much less forgiving when it comes to technique than most other styles.

Quote by Trapman870
dont listen to that retard. you can learn anything you want by yourself. try searching the lessons here and use google. i dont have much experience with it though so its up to you.

So you, an inexperienced classical guitarist, are saying you know more than me despite knowing nothing of my own ablities? I said I had taught myself, so I know you can teach yourself anything, but I also know how difficult it is to teach yourself this sort of thing, hence my recommending a teacher. Furthermore, you suggested googling classical guitar lessons despite the fact that the threadstarter already said that he had done so and hadn't found them especially useful. Don't call me a retard when you post an entirely pointless comment.

Question for the threadstarter: Can you play guitar already? If so how well, and what styles?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I've been playing guitar for about six years now, and I don't think that I'm anywhere near where I should be. For the first four years I didn't really take it too seriously, as it was more of a thing to get my Father off my ass about playing video games too much. While I was in Afgahnistan I noticed 95% of my co-workers had their guitars down here and played, so I had my dad send me mine and I've picked it up again, and made some good leaps and bounds (I hope) in the four months I've been here. I play music for Cathloic Mass, and a lot of Classic Rock/Alternitive. Hope that answers the questions. Again, thanks for all of the help
OK, now, can you fingerpick? If you can already, great, you've got the absolute basis of classical guitar playing, although it's a little more complicated than that.

If you can't fingerpick, here's how: Use your thumb to pick the bass strings (EAD) and your Index, Middle and Pinky fingers to pick the G,B and e strings respectively. Very simple. Classical guitar playing, as mentioned above, often gets more complicated than that, but this is the basics.

If you're playing a steel string acoustic now, as opposed to a nylon strung classical guitar, you will find that the difference in neck shape on a classical (they have much wider, flatter necks than steel strings, and consequently wider gaps between the strings) takes a little getting used to, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem to deal with.

I can fingerpick "blackbird" by the beatles...And puts around on some Led Zeppelin tunes, but nothing spectacular. What guitar brands should I look at, and where can I learn to read sheet music?
I can't read sheet music, so I'm no help there. There are books and things to get you going if you like, in fact there are probably books which teach you to play classical guitar and read sheet music, with pieces specifically transcribed for guitar, so that'd be helpful for you.

I assume you can read tab, so check out a tab of a relatively basic classical song like Classical Gas or Fur Elise to get you started.

I'm self-taught and got to a reasonably ok standard in a couple of years, tho i'm probably making a lot of mistakes which i might have avoided if i'd been able to afford a teacher. The thing about classical guitar is that there are lots more 'rules' (how to hold the guitar, hand position, using all four fingers to fret notes etc etc) than for electric or folky acoustic. In a way, I think the existence of these rules actually makes it an easier form to self-teach than for electric, where the looser framework makes a teacher (or at least other people to observe and learn from) more important. Just my view on that.

Anyways, practical advice: get a teacher if you can; if not, pick up a good instructional book. I learnt from Solo guitar playing by Frederick Noad, which is kinda old fashioned and not all that funky but is very clear and methodical, and by the end of it you'll have grasped quite a few canonical classical pieces. Hope that helps and good luck.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
If you can't fingerpick, here's how: Use your thumb to pick the bass strings (EAD) and your Index, Middle and Pinky fingers to pick the G,B and e strings respectively. Very simple. Classical guitar playing, as mentioned above, often gets more complicated than that, but this is the basics.

Almost, but not quite. In classical, you never actually use the pinky finger. It's only thumb, index, middle and ring. No offence intended.

To the thread starter: the easiest thing would be to try and find a teacher. As most have said, classical has "proper" way to do everything, as opposed to electric styles where basically everything goes. Failing a teacher, get a teach yourself classical guitar book (and make sure it's classical guitar, books that say "For all guitar styles" are absolutely useless).

Good luck!!!