Well, not like these threads haven't been on this forum before, but here's the deal.

I started out 3 months ago by buying the Ibanez Jumpstart pack (including the Ibanez GRX40 and some 10W Ibanez amp). Because I did some research I knew Ibanez amps aren't really that good (they specialize in guitars, not amps) so I made a deal with to throw out the Ibanez amp and throw in the Marshall MG15DFX.

After reading a lot of topic about how the Marshall sucks, bites, is awfull, and whatnot. So (3 months later) I went to the store and tried out a few other amps. First up was the Roland Cube 30, which I tested with the same guitar as the one I have at home (so the difference in tone was all down to the amp, and not the guitar). The Cube's tone was alright, it's cool that it has COSM (Roland's moddelling) and more effects than my Marshall (which hasn't got moddelling and only 4 effects). Next up was the Vox AD30VT, this one sounded alright as well, with even more channels and effects.

But when I got home and started playing my Marshall, I realized that ;my Marshall was superious to both the Cube and the Vox on the distortion channel. The clean channel is so-so, not really awesome, but not particularly bad, I must admit the Vox's clean channel is a bit better.

Now, my question is this, why does everyone say that the Marshall sucks and that everyone should get a Cube 30 / Vox AD30VT? 'Cuz I don't like their tone at all, and I'm really happy with my Marshall.

(Please only reply if you have anything usefull to say, and not something like "stfu noobie ur def get a proper amp liek the vox r cube i did ur mum kthnxbye")
well i dont really know why people are so obsessed with bashing marshall. I like my 30watt MG and its never let me down like other peoples ...I love it...i wouldnt use anyone elses amps, i just think they are good quality . The only niggle i have with it is that when i plug headphones in via the cd in/headphone input bit, the sound is reallly low and i can barely hear anything . It might be my headphones but who knows....
Quote by styxie

Now, my question is this, why does everyone say that the Marshall sucks and that everyone should get a Cube 30 / Vox AD30VT? 'Cuz I don't like their tone at all, and I'm really happy with my Marshall.

(Please only reply if you have anything usefull to say, and not something like "stfu noobie ur def get a proper amp liek the vox r cube i did ur mum kthnxbye")

Because you've only been playing 3 months and don't know what good tone is. The Vox and Roland get a good rep on this forum because they are the two best amps in that low price range. They both still leave a lot to be desired, don't get me wrong, but for the price you pay they are probably the best values. I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying you don't know good tone since you've been playing a short time, but it's true. I didn't start developing an ear for tone for years, I though my Crate GFX120 sounded great. Eventually you'll play a really good amp and then go home and play your MG and it will all become clear.

The MG cleans are tinny and 2-dimensional and the distortion is sterile and manufactured. For more specifics on the reasons people don't like MG's do a search. There's something like 50 threads about MG's in the last month or two alone.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
i got the mg30dfx and also have the ibanez you speak also i got epi 400 custom my problem with the mg is i could play it 1 day it sounds awesome the nexy day same guitar same song same settings it sounds like ****, this is happening all the time i finally retired the mg to the attic and made my roland cube my fulltime the cube is not the best but its consisent.
ibanez rocks
If you like it Styxie then thats all good. Others have tried the Roland etc and think its superior. Each to there own etc. I've tried a small practice MG and my only thought of it was thats its a small tranny practice amp which says it all really, personally for that end of the market I would stick to a modelling unit like a POD etc. Does'nt cost much but sounds ok for practicing.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Well.... in my opinion the best amp for cheap is the Line 6 Spider II 30...not sure if they do a 15... but yeah i have the 150-watt 2x12 version and for the price its amazing... sure if i could afford a Hughes & Kettner or Mesa i'd much ratehr have one, but at about a 1/5 the price of a H&K Switchblade head, the Spider II 30 is awesome. does everything you could ask of it.
Quote by witrudd
i got the mg30dfx and also have the ibanez you speak also i got epi 400 custom my problem with the mg is i could play it 1 day it sounds awesome the nexy day same guitar same song same settings it sounds like ****, this is happening all the time i finally retired the mg to the attic and made my roland cube my fulltime the cube is not the best but its consisent.

I had the same problem with my valvestate. The trick is to let the amp warm up 2-3 min without playing.
When I was only playing 3 months, I thought that a Marshall AVT50 sounded like Slash. Nuff' said.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
^Yeah.

Threadstarter: Try a high end tube amp with nice volume and you get what good sound is. Then go and play an MG and you'll realise that they aren't too good. I myself am a tone purist and think that the Roland Cubes and Voxes are great for the price!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok MG's aren't perfect but they are perfect for practice and home use..Offcourse they have expiration day for someone who wants always to get more from his guitar and getting better..But there are many goods...The cost isnt so high for a 30watt amp..And it has really good clean channel...With an overdrive/distortion pedal you can get a huge variety of sound...

And about slash...I have a mg30dfx and with the pod i can make my amp sounds like jcm800's...And i know how exactly slash sounds...
i think the MG100DFX sounds really, really sterile and buzzy. it also weighs nothing, and the fan sucks.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I really don't get why people say the MG has a good clean channel.

I played with an MG (not by choice) at a gig I played recently and although I didn't have a lot of time to tweak the EQ, I thought the cleans were horrible. They were just lifeless, no sustain whatsoever. I found myself battering my strings just to try and get more umph out of it (but to no avail )
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by danichro
Ok MG's aren't perfect but they are perfect for practice and home use..Offcourse they have expiration day for someone who wants always to get more from his guitar and getting better..But there are many goods...The cost isnt so high for a 30watt amp..And it has really good clean channel...With an overdrive/distortion pedal you can get a huge variety of sound...

And about slash...I have a mg30dfx and with the pod i can make my amp sounds like jcm800's...And i know how exactly slash sounds...

Sorry im gonna try to be nice. They aren't great agreed, but not the perfect practise amp. The cost is very high (i got a used JCM900 for the same price as an MG30DFX). The cleans are really bad. And the reason you sound liek Slash is non from the MG, its from the POD only.

For practise something like a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube is great!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

what would u sugest as a vavle alternative to an MG100DFX

im always hearing ppl (not nesaserily u) saying u can get a cheep valve combo for the same price (£240)

i will listen to any ideas except a 5watt valve Epi
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
haha. i had an mg15 for my first amp, and i thoguht i was packing heat on that little thing. not only after i was using it for about two and a half years, got a new amp, and i grew an ear for tone, did i realize what a piece of **** it was.

basically, MG's are lame. the distortion is flat, and the clean is too twangy. even on the mg100fx, the distoriton's the same as the 15 pretty much.
Quote by Alex2zulu

im always hearing ppl (not nesaserily u) saying u can get a cheep valve combo for the same price (£240)

Well what do you play?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Alex2zulu

You can't get a half decent valve combo for £240, new. However you can probably find a few bargains if you're willing to go used. Is £240 your maximum budget?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
they suck balls. I played one recently and they SUCK. I used to have one, threw it away, got the crate, got the tube marshall, then played an MG again. WOW it blew
im not a big fan of MGs but it pisses me off when people are yo9u "you dont know what good tone is" good tone is subjective, some peopel (like myself) prefer solid state over tube for eample, of course the MG isnt a good SS amp, but still. And as for the MG they arent the worst but they certainly arent great, i do like them better than roland cubes though, i think this forum has a serious case of fanboyism when it comes to certain manufacturers (*cough*Ibanez*cough*).
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Gabel
^Yeah.

Threadstarter: Try a high end tube amp with nice volume and you get what good sound is. Then go and play an MG and you'll realise that they aren't too good. I myself am a tone purist and think that the Roland Cubes and Voxes are great for the price!

Actually, beginners usually hate valve amps, its a sad fact but valve amps dont cover up your playing as much as a solid state will which makes beginners dislike them plus they usually have no idea how to dial them in correctly.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Alex2zulu

What's wrong with a 5 watt Valve Epi? I guarantee it will sound 5 times better, and it may not be just as loud, but it will be plenty for practice. Just not quite as tweakable.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
to the guy looking for a cheap valve amp. i dont know how much 240 is in dollars......i know peavey valvekings, traynor YCVs, and the old peavey amps.....ultra tubes(youll get that off eBay) are great. ebay is your friend when buying an amp.

"I have a mg30dfx and with the pod i can make my amp sounds like jcm800's...And i know how exactly slash sounds..."

i hope that was a joke. either way, sigged.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
It really doesnt matter what you tone sounds like threadstarter because its not like your recording or playing live or anything with a fifteen watt amp. So just go ahead believing its awesome.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Used Crate Blue Voodoo, in my honest opinion a veyr good "bang for your buck" tube amp. It can cover many different tones from tight cleans to metal.
Im not going to bother explaining why MGs suck or anything else like that. Ive stated my opinion on these boards about the issue enough, same with the whole Metal Zone issue, no matter how true it is that they both absolutely suck, you always have 100 other people saying theyre the best thing in the world.
So I gave up on trying to help other people trash their overpriced junk to get gear for the same price that will lead them closer to tonal heaven, ill just keep it to myself and enjoy my tone
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
Quote by adammarshall409
to the guy looking for a cheap valve amp. i dont know how much 240 is in dollars......i know peavey valvekings, traynor YCVs, and the old peavey amps.....ultra tubes(youll get that off eBay) are great. ebay is your friend when buying an amp.

"I have a mg30dfx and with the pod i can make my amp sounds like jcm800's...And i know how exactly slash sounds..."

i hope that was a joke. either way, sigged.

Adam

No its not a joke..i will send you a demo..ok?
I think my main issue with the MG would be the pricing and capitalising on the marshall name - i think it's a way of hooking ppl in. kinda like saying here's a ferrari hatchback for 15 grand brand new and ure like damn that's cheap for a ferrari! but other hatchbacks for under 15 grand have way more features - like they actually have air conditioning and a better motor that doesn't die after a year, and they handle better dispite it "not handling like a ferrari" etc.

you get where i'm coming from

ive played an MG with a ESP LTD M-200 and it wasn't horrible at all, it just wasn't special.
Marty
For what you'd pay for an MG head, give or take, you could quite easily get a JCM 600/800/900 which would be a faaar better amp for the money and most likely one that you'd keep for some time.

I had the misfortune of also having to use on at a gig. It took most of the life out of my sound and sounded just like a cheap SS amp. The distortion was weak and flakey, there was no real definition to my sound and it left everything sounding pretty muddy and above all it was noisy as hell when I wasn't playing anything.

The MG's are fine when you start and you're knowledge of tone is everything at 10, but once you venture and develop your own ear for tone and you're tone itself then you'll realise that it was just a cheap SS.

In other, slightly better news, I have just got a JCM 900 and crikey it's good.