I have a peavey classic 30. On the back where the tubes are is show tubes 6BQ5/EL84. What is the difference in these tubes and if I were to put in the 6BQ5 would I need to re bias my amp?
I think 6BQ5 is just the european or some other regional name for the EL84 in america. Or something like that, anyway they're the same tube.
Quote by greenbox
I think 6BQ5 is just the european name for the EL84, they're the same tube.

Agreed, or if there's any difference, it's completely negligible, like the difference between a European 5881 and an American 6L6.
Hi, I'm Peter
I was just curious if they had the same cleans but one might have a litle bore gain to it. If they are the same tube then that null and void. How would a 6L6, i think that's the one i'm thingking of, sound in one, anyone tried?
Quote by sdavis1465
I was just curious if they had the same cleans but one might have a litle bore gain to it. If they are the same tube then that null and void. How would a 6L6, i think that's the one i'm thingking of, sound in one, anyone tried?

you couldn't do that without some serious modifications. EL84's are nine pin tubes, while 6L6's are eight pin. Also 6L6's draw way more current than an EL84.