I have a classical guitar and I put new strings on it about 6 days ago. Ever day before playing it I have to tune up the strings from about half way down to a flat. On my steel string after a few days I could pick it up a month later and it will still be in tune.

So is it normal for nylon string guitars to always need tuning every day? Also how short should you cut the ends of the strings? I left about an inch but am worried to cut it shorter since I have to tune it a little every day.
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
I dont know if you need to stretch strings on nylons, but...try stretching your strings?
<Han> I love Hitler
nylon strings are far more elastic than steel ones. youll find that you have to tune them a lot at the beginning, theyll settle down in a couple of weeks. and yeah, try stretching them to speed the process along.
Yes it is normal to tune your guitar every time you use it when using nylon strings.Most classical players tune their guitar after every song they play in their set.
Quote by bluewilliams
nylon strings are far more elastic than steel ones. youll find that you have to tune them a lot at the beginning, theyll settle down in a couple of weeks. and yeah, try stretching them to speed the process along.

This post is very accurate, and all advice within good.

Slurgi
Quote by bluewilliams

good post.

Mine need stretching everyday for about a week, if i play aboput two hours a day. I use hard tension too.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by Zimwibwe
Yes it is normal to tune your guitar every time you use it when using nylon strings.Most classical players tune their guitar after every song they play in their set.

+1.

Some strings stretch more than others too. Augustine strings never seem to stop stretching. They're always drifting out of tune.

I tune my electric every day, though, too, so if you're using "every day" as a measuring stick...

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah. And I often wondered where all this material is coming from and where it is going to. Every time I pick up my nylon strung, it takes about three half turns on each peg to tune up to pitch. Why don't the strings get noticably thinner and the posts ever more crowded with loops over time? Or do they actually but haven't I noticed because I never really took measurements?
My (cheap) classical guitar with d'addario normal tension nylon strings stays in tune pretty good. When I put new strings on they detune quite quickly the first 2 or 3 days but after that I don't need to retune my guitar much. But then again I don't always notice it if my guitar is slightly out of tune, sometimes all strings tune down by almost the same amount so the guitar stills sounds good even though the strings have dropped to somewhere between normal tuning and 1/2 step down.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Is there even any point in changing nylon strings? I mean, they don't really deteriorate or anything........at least, they don't seem to.
Oh yes. Also depending on the brand and on how you use them, but my feeling is that nylons loose their brightness quicker then any steel string. I find this very annoying. Just as the strings are stretched enough to stay in tune for more than two songs they are already muffling up.
It is normal for strings to need retuning often after you've just changed them.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
I've found my classical stays in tune a LOT more than my steel-string. Once the strings are nice and comfortable after a month or so, they hardly need major tuning, I love it.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao