My mate has just started playing bass, i have been showing him some rage ect.

He can play piano extremely well and can stretch 10-12 keys, not quite sure. But when it comes to bass he cant even stretch his index finger and ring finger over two fretts. We later found out that im double jointed in my wrist and he isn't.

Does this affect my playing? I have been playin 2 years and never really got pains starting off. The only time i did hurt it was when i jammed for about 5 hours straight a few months back.

I didnt think this really affected my playing really, just let me have the bass a bit lower.

Btw, its in both wrists.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
my wrists are double jointed but ive never had a problem playing
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
"he cant even stretch his index finger and ring finger over two fretts"
dude my hand widths is like 1.5 frets on a base
How does a wrist being double jointed have anything to do with how far the fingers stretch? Do you mean he can't bend his wrist towards him (or away from him, depending on how you look at it) and can't reach the bottom strings?

If he can stretch 10 keys on a piano, he shouldn't be having fretting problems.
Quote by savagerules
"he cant even stretch his index finger and ring finger over two fretts"
dude my hand widths is like 1.5 frets on a base

ouch my hand is really wide. Fits 4 exactly. Makes guitar kinda difficult oh. I often hit the five when i want the 4 etc.
There is no such thing as being double jointed. His only problem is technique. His hand must be in a bad position.
My thumb on my fretting hand is double jointed which affects how I hold the neck but in a good way
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by Bumper
There is no such thing as being double jointed. His only problem is technique. His hand must be in a bad position.

i agree.
double jointed is more of an expression, than a physical condition. it refers to tendons being loose enough to stretch beyond their normal "stops". you're friends problems are probably related to wearing the bass too low. i can cover more frets now, than i could when i started. with practice, and proper bass positioning, he will increase his stretch. once again, it all boils down to practice.
Yeah suppose it does come to practice. But he can stretch on a piano really far. Its just when he bends his wrist to get around the neck he cant stretch and he never plays standing up so it cant be because its too low.

Haha, its very funny seeing him trying to stretch though. I think im going to take a picture.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->