Poll Options
View poll results: Kill That Girl or Kill The Poor
Ramones - Kill That Girl
11 22%
Dead Kennedys - Kill The Poor
39 78%
Voters: 50.
Page 1 of 2
So.......we all know that the DK song Kill the Poor is a rip-off of the Ramones song "You're Gonna Kill that Girl"

(If you didn't before, you do now. Jello admitted it in the book "We Owe You Nothing", many moons ago.)

You're Gonna Kill That Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7sW-A-0Xz8

Kill The Poor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUVfIBda3E

So...the question is....which do you prefer and why?

Example:

"I like the Ramones song better, because it's the original and it's the Ramones."

or

"Even though DK ripped it off, Jello's lyrics were better than the Ramones."

or

"I don't like those icky bands. Punk is too angry and loud, so I listen to emo and cry myself to sleep. But now I wet the bed every night and my little sister beats me up, so I'm in therapy."
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Last edited by johnnynemo at Sep 12, 2006,
Well I've never heard Kill That Girl (and I'm too lazy to watch the YouTube thing), so I just voted Kill The Poor because I really like the lyrics, plus like any Dead Kennedys song, the guitar is pretty cool sounding.
I like the DK version because I think Jellos voice better fits the song and the lyrics are more political and meaningful than Kill that Girl which is the same verse the whole way through. Kill the Poor is a more interesting listen.
Kill the poor wash such a better song. The lyrics were more meaningful for it sounded better and If you dont vote for Jello Biafre I will kill myself. =)
Last edited by Iliemyfaceoff at Sep 12, 2006,
as im a huge fan i much rather the ramones, but having not heard the dead kennedys i cant say, they probobaly had better lyrics and bette everything really, but they didnt have that ramoneness
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
I like Jello's voice better. Plus like pnblwzrd said, Kill The Poor is more political and meaningful. I like political music.
It seems obvious enough that it could be more of an homage than a ripoff, in the same way Rock and Roll Queer Bar by Pansy Division is an homage.
Jello admits that it's a ripoff in the book and that people used to yell "Rip Off!" when they played it live.

Remember that he also stole a big chunk of the MC5 song "Sister Anne" and made it into "Let's Lynch The Landlord".

Watch this and listen to the chorus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HeWS6BSbA4
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Last edited by johnnynemo at Sep 12, 2006,
Quote by johnnynemo

Remember that he also stole a big chunk of the MC5 song "Sister Anne" and made it into "Let's Lynch The Landlord".

I can see some similarities, but not as obvious as the kill the poor resemblence. Still, I think Jello uses the tune better.
Yeah, it's mostly the "She can, you know she can, She's my sister Ann" in the chorus that Jello used for his chorus of "We can, you know we can, Let's Lynch The Landlord Man".

I gotta wonder how you'd feel if someone ripped off your song and people said things like "Well, it's okay that he ripped it off, because he used it better".
Quote by sargasm

^ I was merely stating that I like how Jello used the song. I dont however, though it does sound like it, support the whole ripoff thing. It is better that he admitted rather than deny the whole ordeal. Also, Dead Kennedys have a whole lot of other songs that top the to mentioned here, so i still respect Jello as a song writer.
Dead Kennedys.

And believe it or not.

That is my favorite Ramones song. And that is my favorite Dead Kennedys song.

But I never noticed the rip off

THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME NEMO.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Dead Kennedys.

That was the first punk song that exploded in my brain.
My friend played it one time for me, and that was really the moment when punk clicked in my head.
Jizz is where it is
Punk is for rockers who refuse to learn how to play properly. There is about as much 'angst' and 'rebellion' in punk as there is shredding in country music (NONE, you idiots).
Quote by SonicMessiah
Punk is for rockers who refuse to learn how to play properly. There is about as much 'angst' and 'rebellion' in punk as there is shredding in country music (NONE, you idiots).

If you knew who Deniz Tek and Robert Quine were, you wouldn't be saying that.

Ass.
Quote by SonicMessiah

That's funny you say that, because there is a lot of shredding in country music.

And name 5 punk bands. Can't? Why? Because you're ignorant and uninformed. We don't go into the shred and metal forums and slag you down just because we don't like your music.

And listen to Agent Orange and then tell me they can't play.
Quote by SonicMessiah

So why don't you f*ck off and listen to Satriani or whatever other musical masturbation you're into and STFU.

No one cares what you think, jacka$$.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by SonicMessiah

HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Dead Kennedys.

And believe it or not.

That is my favorite Ramones song. And that is my favorite Dead Kennedys song.

But I never noticed the rip off

THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME NEMO.

You're welcome.

One of the greatest things punk taught me was the concept of (to quote the Stranglers) "No More Heroes", which I interpret as If you keep putting people up on pedestals, you'll keep getting disappointed.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
If you keep putting people up on pedestals, you'll keep getting disappointed.

Everyone should learn this lesson...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
That was the first punk song that exploded in my brain.

Me too.

I like Kill the Poor because it's got an interesting chord in it and it is more of a song.

I never noticed that though, lolz.
kill the poor had funnier and more interesting lyrics, kill that girl had a better singer, (in my opinion) but kill the poor had a nice bassline in it, so that takes it for me.
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
Both. None really stands out.

and some guy got the same avatar as me...

...because my avatar is so original
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
i kept meaning to tell you that pistols.

I quite like the ramones song and at the moment, I listen to it more.
the dk because there are better lyrics, as much as i love joey i like jello better, and its just so goddamn good.

kill the poor is probably one of my favorite dead kennedys songs ever. ever ever.

tonigh-igh igh igh igh igh igh ight.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Kill That Girl!

Why? Jello's voice annoys me!

When I first heard Jello's voice it annoyed me too, but it really grew on me after awhile for some reason.
Quote by SonicMessiah

Please, tell me you're being ironic? You aren't? Damn. Go listen to a Stranglers record, and tell me that they can't play...

Anyways, I prefer Kill That Girl. Joey has a much better voice than Jello (I like Jello's voice, but he's definitely an acquired taste; Joey is universal), and I generally prefer the Ramones to the Dead Kennedys...
Have a nice day
Quote by SonicMessiah

But there is alot of angst and rebellion in country music.
Quote by SonicMessiah

dude, there's so much shredding in the song "the devil went down to georgia"
Quote by TheAdict310
When I first heard Jello's voice it annoyed me too, but it really grew on me after awhile for some reason.

I've listened to the Dead Kennedys for 3 years, and they've gotten progressively worse as time has passed.
Quote by Thy Brad
Please, tell me you're being ironic? You aren't? Damn. Go listen to a Stranglers record, and tell me that they can't play...

i think you should go to english class more often.

EDIT:way to use the stranglers in your statment. youve probably never heard them you just said their name cause big nemo did.
Last edited by LoudnSnotty138 at Sep 17, 2006,
I don't like those icky bands. Punk is too angry and loud, so I listen to emo and cry myself to sleep. But now I wet the bed every night and my little sister beats me up, so I'm in therapy.

Actually, the Ramones sound way better than Dead Kennedies.
Live fast, die young.
Quote by johnnynemo
Jello admits that it's a ripoff in the book and that people used to yell "Rip Off!" when they played it live.

The Dead Kennedys plagiarise! Boohoo!

Anyways Ive never heard Kill That Girl, but Kill The Poor is so awesome, and I know for a fact that Jello`s lyrics are way better than the Ramones.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
i think you should go to english class more often.

EDIT:way to use the stranglers in your statment. youve probably never heard them you just said their name cause big nemo did.

Weirdest thing - I got an A in my English Language GCSE...

And I'm actually listening to Suite 16 by The Stranglers right now. Rather good album, all told. Please don't accuse me of posting bands I've never heard of because someone else posted them. It makes you look very, very silly...
Have a nice day
The funny thing is, while DK ripped of the Ramones for "Kill the Poor", the Ramones ripped off the Beatles' "You're Gonna Lose That Girl".
Page 1 of 2