I always thought that 'shredding' just meant playing really fast. Or is there a more accurate definition?
Quote by rankine
I always thought that 'shredding' just meant playing really fast. Or is there a more accurate definition?

that's what i thought too
shred‧ding [shred-ing]

?noun
furring attached to the undersides of rafters.
Also, shreading.

[Origin: 1660?70; orig. uncert.]

?
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Well, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are shred, its normally songs with no vocals and a lot of complicated solos, which inclued, tapping, sweep picking/arpeggios, fast scale based runs and stuff, if you want to learn try doing the steve vai 10 hour workout to get up to speed then try something easy by joe satriani (he has some easy ones) then go from there
originally it was used as another term for economy picking. basically leading each string with all downstrokes or upstrokes (eg. sweeping, or when youre playing complex scalar passages with things like three notes per string instead of alternating downupdownupdownupdown each string would be down up down, like youre pushing the pick into the next string as you would in sweeping without actually playing an arpeggio).

though now its used as a more broad term for just playing hella fast.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Last edited by Masknought at Sep 12, 2006,
Some dicks would define shredding as emotionless musical wanking...and I'm one of them
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
Some dicks would define shredding as emotionless musical wanking...and I'm one of them

I have to disagree with you there (well some/ a lot of it is but) if you listen to a joe satriani you can tell hes put all his emotion and time into it, he must just not be able to sing or somethin not sure lol
shred is a genre of music that is mainly focused on electric guitars and little or none vocals

the term is also used "to shred" as in play fast... for good shredders see michael angelo batio, buckethead, vai, satriani, malmsteen, and mark tremonti (only his solo work)

for ****ty "shredders" see ****ing mick thompson and alexi laiho- i'm gonna get pounded for that one
Shred has nothing to do with genre or speed... shred is being an intelligent musician who isn't held back by technical boundaries who utilizes theoretical knowledge.

What you guys are describing is simply 'wank'. Not shred.
Well, it was described pretty well by Resiliance (if you guys don't know who that is, its a Mod in the Shred Forum). I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was along the lines of:

"Shredding is not being held back, its having the physical technique and ability to express yourself by any means you wish. It's being able to play whatever you hear in your head and out your fingers, whether its sweep picking dimished arpeggios or alt-picking a decending run. Shred is being true to the music you feel the need to express."
Quote by HaKattack

So you're saying you're a dick then?

Hmmm......
[
Quote by denied
he actually has a pretty decent voice :P surprisingly, most of the big time shredders do. vai has an awesome one...

Word. I have a G3 DVD, and Vai, Satch and Yngwie can all sing pretty well
Progressive rock, Death metal, Progressive metal, and Jazz rock have adapted the style successfully. In general, however, the phrase "shred guitar" has been traditionally associated with heavy metal guitarists. This association has become less common now that modern (evolved) forms of metal have adopted shred guitar; shred guitar is now most commonly seen in the power metal, progressive metal and death metal genres.

Techniques
Guitar playing techniques commonly involved in shredding are:

Alternate-picking
Tapping
Legato
Sweep-picking

The most basic and probably most common form of shredding involves ascending and descending a two- or three-octave scale or mode at a fast tempo. This "lick" can be played by picking all of the notes (alternate-picking), or just the first and/or second note of a string (legato). This format is very versatile, and is easy to incorporate other patterns or licks into. Sweep-picking is commonly used to play arpeggios across the fret board. Tapping is also often used to play arpeggios, but is not limited to just that.

I used wikipedia
To me, now this is my opinion, so all you little Steve Vai's just settle the heck down, shredding is the EXACT opposite of the blues. The blues is soulful, great to listen to and slow at the times it need to be. Shredding is toneless, souless and way too fast at all the wrong times.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
IMO Shredding is playing fast for the sake of playing fast, I do not class people like Joe Satriani, Mattias IA Eklundh,Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci and many others as shred because they're music is about alot more than playing fast alone.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Stop Messin'
To me, now this is my opinion, so all you little Steve Vai's just settle the heck down, shredding is the EXACT opposite of the blues. The blues is soulful, great to listen to and slow at the times it need to be. Shredding is toneless, souless and way too fast at all the wrong times.

That's where you're wrong. What you're describing is wank - aimlessly going up and down the fretboard in an imaginary penis size competition.

And really, you're comparing a genre of music with something that isn't a genre of music (The word 'shred' does not define a genre of music) - I 'shred' when I'm improvising blues. It still has the same tone and the same soul - please, make the distinction between shred and wank.

Quote by ScottishAngus
IMO Shredding is playing fast for the sake of playing fast, I do not class people like Joe Satriani, Mattias IA Eklundh,Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci and many others as shred because they're music is about alot more than playing fast alone.

It would be impossible for you to classify them as shred, because shred is not a definable genre of music.

Joe Satriani is... er... lol.. neo-blues/instrumental, but he utilizes shred.
Steve Vai is instrumental/experimental, but he utilizes shred. etc etc..

Seriously, why do people classify shred as a genre?
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 12, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443
That's where you're wrong. What you're describing is wank - aimlessly going up and down the fretboard in an imaginary penis size competition.

And really, you're comparing a genre of music with something that isn't a genre of music (The word 'shred' does not define a genre of music) - I 'shred' when I'm improvising blues. It still has the same tone and the same soul - please, make the distinction between shred and wank.

It would be impossible for you to classify them as shred, because shred is not a definable genre of music.

Joe Satriani is... er... lol.. neo-blues/instrumental, but he utilizes shred.
Steve Vai is instrumental/experimental, but he utilizes shred. etc etc..

Seriously, why do people classify shred as a genre?

Typical shred fan, always telling people they're wrong. I said it was "MY" opinion. I guess you don't understand what an opinion is?
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
Typical shred fan, always telling people they're wrong. I said it was "MY" opinion. I guess you don't understand what an opinion is?

Lol, I understand what an opinion is. But you obviously don't understand that shred is not a definable genre of music - which you seem to believe it is.

I don't care if people go round saying 'ppl hu shred av no emoshjun!!!' - it's their opinion, but when you define shred as a genre of music, YOU ARE WRONG.

Throw all that 'typical shred fan' bullshit as much as you want, you're still fucking wrong.