I was looking for an affordable six-string bass when I came across an absurdly cheap fretless from a maker called 'Jazzy,' apparently...it looks great, but I'm worried about buying it because I've never heard of the maker, and it's not likely a custom job. I couldn't find anything on the brand, so I'm asking here...I don't want to waste my money on a bass that could a worthless piece of plywood. The fretboard is completely fretless, no lines at all, and I've never seen a fretless bass that wasn't at least decent. I'm trying to find something better than my Epiphone EB-0, either a four-string or a six string, but I'm not too good on cash so it's gotta be cheap...not interested in 5-strings though.

This is one of the images I've found of it, there isn't a photo of the headstock so I can't get a picture of the brand name for sure. The seller says it's a Jazzy brand bass...but since most Jazz players don't use six-strings...well, you get the idea.
although you can find deals, i still think you get what you pay for. so if you pay like 300 for it, expect a 300 dollar bass.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
how much?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
doesn't look too good. You can't tell unless you buy But those brands aren't usually refundable.
That's the thing, it's an auction...the shipping is 39.99, but the bidding started at 3.00...so I have no clue how much it's really worth. I would assume it's not a very high quality bass, because honestly, who would sell a high quality six-string and start it at 3 bucks.... I paid 200 for my EB-0 4-string, and it was used, and I've been having some issues with it recently, and I figure since I just got a new GK amp, I should get a new bass to get the most out of it. If I were going for a new 4-string, I'd just look for a Jazz bass in a pawn shop, but I'm really interested in a six-string...so that's what I'm going for. If I remember correctly, it has active electronics, 3 tone knobs, and 2 volume knobs...the single pick-up is unusual, based on the six-strings I've seen(Most seem to have 2).... If the auction goes well, I could possibly get this for under 200... it IS an unlined fretless, which I'm not a fan of...I might have fret lines painted on it just because I like the way it looks better...I just need to know if this bass is worth bothering with...I don't want a bass that'll break within a week....
Quote by Bumper
Looks like a fretless six string Cort Curbow. I'd buy it.

That it is.

http://www.cort.com/basses/curbow/

The fretless Curbow I played had a LOT of growl. Almost comparable to a Warwick Thumb fretless. The intonation was a bit messed up, but nothing a decent setup couldn't fix.

Buy it! Especially if it is a fretless six. Those are hard to come by.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I don't think it's a Curbow, the bridge and EQs don't look like anything on that page, but there wasn't really a six-string to compare it with. If I can get it for a good price, I'm going to go ahead and go for it...if it sucks, and it might, it's my problem. You think painting fret lines would cause any problems? I'll probably play it as-is for a while, just because I think it'll probably help with my playing a bit, but eventually I'd like to have the lines put on it...or maybe some kind of innovative removable fret system or something...that'd actually be pretty cool. Thanks for the help, though...chances are, the price will get too high and I won't be able to afford it...but heres hoping.
Can you post a link to the auction? I'd like to check this out a little more. It looks like a Curbow, but then again it might be a copy. Nevertheless it looks like a badass copy.
It's here. The seller has just sold one the same for $207. I'd bid if I was in the US.
I don't really want to post a possible bass deal in a bass forum...ya know...but I've got a pic of the whole bass.

That fretboard is massive. With no dot inlays, or markers, Unless you are super good at bass, you are going to get all sorts of quarter tones and crap.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by Arkham
I don't really want to post a possible bass deal in a bass forum...ya know...but I've got a pic of the whole bass.

I'm pretty sure that none of us are going to buy it out from underneat you. That's a Cort alright. I say buy it.
Quote by MySweetFracture
That fretboard is massive. With no dot inlays, or markers, Unless you are super good at bass, you are going to get all sorts of quarter tones and crap.

listen to the man

EDIT: but by all means, buy it. its a beautiful bass and you'll only get better at it while playing it.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Being an amature bass player myself, i would still try to hit it. I have enough trouble witha four string fretless. So does it have a low b and a high a?
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture
Being an amature bass player myself, i would still try to hit it. I have enough trouble witha four string fretless. So does it have a low b and a high a?

high c
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I would be very suprised if it wasn't an absolutely bottom of the line bass. You've never seen a fretless that's bad? There are brands that get by on making "different" instruments, very crappily, for those of us who either just want to try somnething new, or say "it cant be that bad."

I almost bought a Galveston 6 string, for example... wouldn't have been a good choice.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^Cort Curbows are actually very good basses, Dan. I've played a few four bangers, and they were exceptional.
Quote by UtBDan
I would be very suprised if it wasn't an absolutely bottom of the line bass. You've never seen a fretless that's bad? There are brands that get by on making "different" instruments, very crappily, for those of us who either just want to try somnething new, or say "it cant be that bad."

I almost bought a Galveston 6 string, for example... wouldn't have been a good choice.

For only 200$ (us) though? Even if it played like crap you could still beat some redheaded midgets with it.
Not Enough AssHatery
why waste $200, 1/3rd of a decent one, on something that would be best used to... "beat some redheaded midgets"?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by MySweetFracture
For only 200$ (us) though? Even if it played like crap you could still beat some redheaded midgets with it.

You could buy a good midievil flail mace replica for that much. That would be much, much better for beating midgets.
Quote by Bumper
^Cort Curbows are actually very good basses, Dan. I've played a few four bangers, and they were exceptional.

I know that. I love Curt Corbows. I'm saying this isn't a curt Corbow, it's a "Jazzy" brand bass designed to look like a Curt Corbow.

Which it is.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
jazzy makes coppies and there not very good dont buy it.

it looks like a cort but won't sound like one.
Member #12 of the Can't we forget about punk, emo, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK? group. pm rockon1824 to join

Quote by Taoistic_Beer

HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by UtBDan
why waste $200, 1/3rd of a decent one, on something that would be best used to... "beat some redheaded midgets"?

Not all people have $900+ to blow on bass guitar equipment.

Did you order that bass yet?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by UtBDan
I know that. I love Curt Corbows. I'm saying this isn't a curt Corbow, it's a "Jazzy" brand bass designed to look like a Curt Corbow.

Which it is.

WTF is a Curt Corbow?
Quote by Scourge441
WTF is a Curt Corbow?

i meant to pick up on that last night, but i was too tired to care

change one more letter, and you have a c*nt corbow... <_<
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.