Page 1 of 2
In your opinion who are the most underrated guitarist(s) in blues?

For me its Freddie King and Buddy Guy, maybe my two favorite blues guitarists, and I don't seem to hear that much about them.
^they're not really underrated at all in a blues crowd, in mainstream then all blues guitarists besides John Mayer and SRV and Clapton are underrated, but anyways

i would say
Muddy Waters, he's mostly recognized for his voice, but his guitar work is fantastic, not that complicated but hes still a good guitarist
Jimmie Vaughan, again not really underrated, but he always stands in the shadow of his little brother

both of them get a lot of attention though
i actually think john mayer is underrated....and hes dissed alot in this forum....alot more than he deserves
"the electric church"

---------------
Squier Standard Strat
Fender Highway one Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
...soon to be more added
Roy Buchanan
Hubert Sumlin
Ali Farka Toure
Johnny Winter
Junior Kimbrough
Johnny Winter
Roy Buchanan
Billy Gibbons
Taj Mahal
Jimmie Vaughan

The biggest problem with the blues is that many artists remain unknown. A lot of the guitarists that I would deem underrated are underrated becuase there not very famous.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
How about every single delta artist with the exception of maybe Robert Johnson and Son House. Big Bill Broonzy, Charley Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Elmore James, Bukka White, and Blind Willie McTell to name just a few.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Skip James aswell

Phish - Waste
I was gonna mention some delta bluesmen, as well. If you mean underrated in the mainstream, practically everyone. If you mean underrated among bluesmen, then those delta guys are severly underrated.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I think the guitarists who dont play really fast or use a lot of fancy licks are underrated. I mean you listen to some B.B. King or John Lee Hooker and they play some simple stuff but its so soulful it makes it great. Ill take a passionate guitarist over a fancy one anyday.

Phish - Waste
^^Yea, you're right. BB King isnt exactly underrated, IMO, but John Lee Hooker certainly is.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i think the most under-rated guitarist in general in yngwie malmsteen, oh damn ive done that thing again i always mix up under-rated and completly sh1t

anyway, i though SRV was a bit under rated well is by alot of my friends they have no time for him , im like you fcuking bastards how could u

anyway
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by srvman
i think the most under-rated guitarist in general in yngwie malmsteen, oh damn ive done that thing again i always mix up under-rated and completly sh1t

anyway, i though SRV was a bit under rated well is by alot of my friends they have no time for him , im like you fcuking bastards how could u

anyway

yea same here about SRV, all my friends think he sucks ass because they hate his singing, so i just go, "you try and play Rude Mood and then talk"
Johnny Winter or John Mayer

Mayer isn't exactly blues per-se, but you can fell a butt-load of blues in him, and he seems to be dissed fro going after money first. It'a a material world, crap costs too much, while I wouldn't do that, I don't hold it against him.

Johnny Winter just seems to not be talked about much in the local blues scene here.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Oh, and someone I should've included in my first post...Robert Cray...absolutely brilliant
Robben Ford

Nah, I dunno. Oviously he\s not big, but he seems to get ignored a bit by the blues crowd.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
^^^
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Scott Henderson's blues stuff anyone? ... Exactly
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Anybody who played guitar over 40 yrs. ago, it's like everybody pays attention only to the 60's and on.
Last edited by Alarming Carrot at Sep 14, 2006,
I second Robert Cray. Buddy Guy also isn't praised enough.

Also, am I the only one who dislikes Jimmie Vaughan? He just does nothing for me, his phrasing to me is boring, however I've only seen like a 25 minute clip of him. Also, his goddamn ugly hair.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Dr. No

Also, am I the only one who dislikes Jimmie Vaughan? He just does nothing for me, his phrasing to me is boring, however I've only seen like a 25 minute clip of him. Also, his goddamn ugly hair.

I will third your Robert Cray, second your Buddy Guy, and i'd also like to say that Jimmie does nothing for me, either. I've never really been a fan of his.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I'm not a big fan of Jimmie's, but I do admire his playing.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Dr. No

if you're looking at a blues community then i completely agree Robert Cray, although i dont really like his music, he's a fantastic guitarist, but i disagree with Buddy Guy, i think a blues community gives him all the credit he should, but in the maintream eye they are both extremely underrated
I know what you mean by underrated or whatever, but with something like blues guitar, everyone has their own idea of what it actually is. The division between blues and certain types of rock is unclear for alot of people, so I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Another point - I know it could seem like a tired cliché, but a lot of white people seem more comfortable with blues played by white people, even though they may admire black players from somewhat of a distance....?
Quote by mickser
I know what you mean by underrated or whatever, but with something like blues guitar, everyone has their own idea of what it actually is. The division between blues and certain types of rock is unclear for alot of people, so I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Another point - I know it could seem like a tired cliché, but a lot of white people seem more comfortable with blues played by white people, even though they may admire black players from somewhat of a distance....?

That seems to ring true in my taste in music oddly, haha.

Robben Ford is my favourite guitarist. though my favourite blues guitaristsbeside him is Buddy Guy
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I don't know about that, i'm white and pretty much all of my favorite blues guitarists are black... Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins, Muddy Waters. The only white bluesmen I really really like are...SRV, Eric Clapton
Quote by srvman

anyway

Do you make it your business to make retarded comments? Yngwie is the sole instigator of the neoclassical genre, and can be credited as being the primary musician in bringing the classical influence into rock and metal. Not only that, he's technically brilliant and a damn good composer when he wants to be (Concerto Suite being a great example). It confuses the **** out of me why you guys go around spouting **** about shred when you know nothing of it. This is like the blues and shred hating forum. We don't talk ****e about blues musicians in the shred forum, I can't understand why you put shred down in here. Shred forum regulars would defend the blues if somebody went in there talking ****e about it. But it seems I can't go into a thread here without seeing somebody put shred down.

I think some of the early delta blues artists are somewhat underrated.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Michael Bloomfield doesn't get the respect he deserves.
Listen to the first two Butterfield Albums.
albert king in my opinion is one of the greats but i do get a few people who dont really get him, i like him though i listened to a few of his tunes in my car today
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
theres no point in getting in a fight over someone's music preference...I personally don't like Yngwie at all, but whoever else wants to is welcome to...its silly to get in a fight because one person likes yngwie and one doesn't
Quote by srvman
the reason you dont dis blues is because most your music wouldnt be where it is today without blues, im suprised if you have any fcuking sense of humour you could see it was a joke, realting to that blues solo vid which was him doing the same thing as he always does just with a blues scale, we here or i dont hate shred or metal or whatever i appreciate some of its finer artists like satch and vai, a good example of this is the little wing vid those three did , satch and vai stuck to the song pretty much where as yngwie just played as fast as he could with no actual timing or even nearly keeping with the original.

if you cant see how sh1t yngwie is , im afraid my friend that you are the retard.

anyway dude lighten up its only a bit of fun on a bloody forum, do you search for stuff like this cos you cant get laid or something?

No, you see, the reason we don't diss blues is because we have respect and openmindedness towards other people and genres. Something completely foreign to you, apparently. "Some of the finer artists like Satch & Vai"... Give me a break, don't act like you know anything about it.

Anyway, that's not even the point Tom was making. The point was that you're a sad little bloke with a tiny penis that feels the need to do the popular thing - i.e. diss Yngwie. And boy, how extremely funny and original that is!

You don't see me dissing BB King in the shred forum just because I don't find his music interesting at all. You don't see me telling people he is, as you put it, "sh1t". No, I say I don't like it. Have some respect.

Oh, but that's right. I'm the retard. My bad.

(And for the record, I don't even like 99% of what Yngwie does myself, just in case you'd say I'm a fanboy or anything )
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Have to learn to ignore people who have proven they obviously can't read and interpret what is being said very well...

Click.
Its hard to say which blues guitarists is the most underrated really. I mean, today all blues (not jsut it's guitarists) is neglected by mainstream music and society. Go and ask someone today what blues is and they'll tell you its a ****ing christiana aguilare video or something. It's an absolute shame. But if i had to pick one blues artist that has made a giant impact and hasnt received enough recognition (close to none) is Roy Buchanan. I have never heard a more beautiful tone out of a guitar. Another great that is not credited enough is Buddy Guy who revolutionized the word showmanship single-handedly. Its funny to think that if he would've went t England at the time Hendrix did he would been as recognized as the british greats of that time period
you what ive just thought, more or less every blues guitarist alive is underrated , i think they only become immortalized after death, im not saying its the case all the time but alot of time it is, i quite like john mayer well sort of but i think his very pop voice maybe makes him over rated in some ethnic groups while it also makes him underrated in our blues circle if you get me?

i dont like his voice much but hes ok at geetar
Quote by mickser

Or if people are like me they dont think about whether a person is black or white, they only worry about how good the music is.

And to the people arguing about those who hate shred, i'd just like to point out that we aren't all close minded. I, personally, have an open mind to everything i listen to. I had an open mind the first few times i heard shred, and i didnt like it, so now i dont listen to it. In fact, for most people it takes an extremely open mind to get into the blues at all. My point here is to say don't write us all off as "close minded." We may not listen to the same music as you, and some people may be a little extreme or offensive about it, but dont judge us all.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Or if people are like me they dont think about whether a person is black or white, they only worry about how good the music is.

And to the people arguing about those who hate shred, i'd just like to point out that we aren't all close minded. I, personally, have an open mind to everything i listen to. I had an open mind the first few times i heard shred, and i didnt like it, so now i dont listen to it. In fact, for most people it takes an extremely open mind to get into the blues at all. My point here is to say don't write us all off as "close minded." We may not listen to the same music as you, and some people may be a little extreme or offensive about it, but dont judge us all.

Did I?

No.

I was talking to him about what he said. Not everyone in this forum.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Did I?

No.

I was talking to him about what he said. Not everyone in this forum.

you really care too much about this

everyones over it now..........
Page 1 of 2