I have tried:

Boss MT-2 (garbage)
Every Digitech metal pedal (even worse garbage)
Metal Muff (super-weak)
Line 6 Uber Metal (generic sounding, and garbage)
MXR Dimebag (crappy)
...and even a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, which sounds great until I even get close to anything metal sounding and then it turns to crap. I figured I could make it a little better and give it some balls with my 10 band EQ, but nope.

So, here it is....

I am not spending 300 dollars for that tube Demonizer thing (which from what I hear is amazing). I haven't tried the Rocktron Zombie yet. My stock distortion on my Randall RH200 is fuzzy and lame. I am currently using my multieffects pedal (Zoom GFX5) to get my metal sound and running it trough my MXR KFK 10 band EQ... and it sounds good, just not good enough. So, what do I do that doesn't require an amp change?
The line 6 uber metal is actually pretty good and theres a few good sounds to be had, but takes alot of tweaking and i usually hate metal pedals...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
First of all, why is an amp change out of the question.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
seriously man? change amps. i think most any pedal is gonna sound thin and processed compared to an amp's distortion. save ur money and go with a mesa or diezel
Maybe your just a bit too picky. For a start the MXR dimebag is actually designed as an EQ pedal. just buy a new amp for ****s sake! pedals can't make **** into gold!
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
try the Maxon DS-9 Sonic Distortion its the only distotion pedal i like but i have a tube amp so i dont have a need for one
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
cliche' saying coming up: Beggers can't be choosers.

If a new, GOOD amp is out of the question then you shouldnt be so picky. IMO. You will grow out of distortion pedals sooner or later anyways.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
cliche' saying coming up: Beggers can't be choosers.

If a new, GOOD amp is out of the question then you shouldnt be so picky. IMO. You will grow out of distortion pedals sooner or later anyways.

I've always hated pedals... just recently I have been using them cause I was tired of the crappy stock distortion from my amp. I figured with the right combo of pedals I could fix it.
yeah i know whatcha mean. You get what you buy when it comes to these things though. There more you can dish out the better your tone will be basically.
I have (or had) a lot of pedals like these: Boss DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop MXR Distortion, Vox Buldog, Maxon OD-9, Maxon OD-808, 880, 881, 820, 830, etc. and except for the Boss MT-2, all of the them sound(ed) very nice. I will sell most of them not because they are all crap, but because I think I have too many pedals. They do have some drawbacks like, say, false bypass or a lack or excess of hights, and some of them are a bit muddy, whereas some of them are transparent, but they all sound good in my tube (2xEL34) amp with a 2x12 cab. To be honest, I did not expect the Boss DS-1 might sound so nicely when tube amplificated.
Yeah. Save and get a real amp. May take a while but atleast your not wasting money on crappy effects.
the HBE big d is pretty good, dunno about metal though, it's more "all-round distortion".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I get a really cool and unique metal sound by running a Big Muff USA through an Ibanez TS-9. It's not a very typical metal sound, but i love it.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I have been looking at the Maxon ROD880 or 881. Any opinions on the sound quality and distortion of these? I am looking for tones like (metallica, In flames, Arch enemy, Satrtiani) I am considering using this with a Peavey Valveking, sound like a good combo?
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Just wanted to chime in and reply to the post above regarding the Sansamp TRI-AC. Under no circumstances should you consider buying it. I own one now and I bought it for the same purpose you are looking now. It is the worst sounding garbage under-driven piece of equipment ever. I bought it based on the sound samples online and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. The high gain model doesn't come close to actually getting low end chuck with humbuckers. I've had to add distortion, not just overdrive, but more distortion from my effects board to get this thing to sound fully distorted and chunky.

So please, don't buy it.
Nobody makes a decent "metal" pedal because they aren't needed - that's to say anyone who's deadly serious about their tone will use a lot of volume, an overdriven amp and something to push it harder.

A "metal" distortion is only designed for one thing, reproducing those kind of sounds at low volume. And since volume is a huge part of those sounds, they don't do a brilliant job. If you don't want your guitar to sound paper thin and muddy you have to bite the bullet and accept that without sheer volume you'll never quite get the sounds you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Nobody makes a decent "metal" pedal because they aren't needed - that's to say anyone who's deadly serious about their tone will use a lot of volume, an overdriven amp and something to push it harder.

A "metal" distortion is only designed for one thing, reproducing those kind of sounds at low volume. And since volume is a huge part of those sounds, they don't do a brilliant job. If you don't want your guitar to sound paper thin and muddy you have to bite the bullet and accept that without sheer volume you'll never quite get the sounds you want.

Interesting point, and very true. You cant get the speakers to move enough air at low volumes to produce and real bass, and that is where the heavy chunk comes from.

I have been playing around with the Uber metal pedal that I bought to test and I have found that having my amp's volume at 5-6 and the level on the pedal turned down a bit as well as the volume on the guitar turned down a hair, it sounds much better than with the amps volume on 1-2 and the level on the pedal and guitar turned all the way up.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Metal pedals fill a lucrative gap in the market, inexperienced guitarists who want to make a lot of noise. Most of us have pretty useless ears when we start out, we know we want to make a lot of noise but we can't identify the components of the sound. One kind of distortion sounds pretty much like another, and if you're young then that's often all you want to do - annoy the hell out of your parents and neighbours!

Those massive distorted sounds sound so huge because of the volume, and also because of EQ'ing. Mid scooping is a low-volume shortcut to reproducing that spaciousness in the sound, but as your ear develops you realise that the mids are the key to any guitar tone. Something like the MT-2 is so overprocessed that it kills any guitar tone stone dead, the key is to build on what's there - guitar tone from pickups + preamp gain + power amp volume are your main components. If that's not enough then you ideally need something to build on the amps distortion, not mask or replace it - you can use a good pedal on the clean channel, but you still need that volume for it to sound really good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Metal pedals fill a lucrative gap in the market, inexperienced guitarists who want to make a lot of noise. Most of us have pretty useless ears when we start out, we know we want to make a lot of noise but we can't identify the components of the sound. One kind of distortion sounds pretty much like another, and if you're young then that's often all you want to do - annoy the hell out of your parents and neighbours!

Those massive distorted sounds sound so huge because of the volume, and also because of EQ'ing. Mid scooping is a low-volume shortcut to reproducing that spaciousness in the sound, but as your ear develops you realise that the mids are the key to any guitar tone. Something like the MT-2 is so overprocessed that it kills any guitar tone stone dead, the key is to build on what's there - guitar tone from pickups + preamp gain + power amp volume are your main components. If that's not enough then you ideally need something to build on the amps distortion, not mask or replace it - you can use a good pedal on the clean channel, but you still need that volume for it to sound really good.

I am considering a rig overhaul because I think I am to the point where I am no longer happy with the tone of my SS amp and pedals. I am looking at small tube amps and overdrive pedals to replace my Fender SS amp and distortion pedals. The Peavey valveking is one amp that seems like it might fit the bill. Along with a decent OD and EQ it should be versitile enough to play the range of tones I am after.
I have also been reading good things about the Traynor line of amps but, I have never seen them in a store near me.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
excellent points there, steven seagull.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah steven really knows his ****

Only through harsh experience...my first pedal was a god-awful fuzz thing which I thought was the dogs bollocks. I've cringed through many a jam session with a guitarist who's first move was to plug in an MT-2 and turn everything up full except the mids which went to 0, very painful!

However, whilst I hate the MT-2 and wil gladly tell people why...there is an argument for me shutting up and leaving people to it. After all, there's no substitute for experience, and it's normally when you look back on how bad things were that you really see how far you've progressed. I obviously don't want people to waste their money on a piece of kit I don't rate, but most guitarists go through the uber-distortion phase early on. As you progress you start to notice what's lacking from the sound and can do something about it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

im actually a big fan of the metal muff, i dont get why everyone thinks its weak, the only weak sound ive ever gotten out of it was when i scooped the mids to see what it sounded like (this guy in a metal band i play in was like "dude you should turn your mids all the way down it sounds badass!") but honestly doing that will make anything sound weak. But that being said i get great metal distortion out of my metal muff, and ive been playing long enough to know what "bad" tone sounds like, at least to me.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have an Uber meatal and I love it. It turns any amp into a great distortion. It does takes some tweaking tho
Gear
Kickass Vox AC15
Kickass Vox Clyde McCoy wah
Kick ass digitech whammy
a strat...........

Dont care what anyone else thinks the new Muse album is EPIC
I have a Deville. Which isn't exactly a metal amp. Actually, almost none of my gear is really "metal" techincally, but I get a nice metal sound out of my overdrive pedal when I need to.. It's not too trebly, but it's bassy enough to rupture intestines. I'd imagine the metal zone from the same company would make an even better metal tone?
Last edited by The way to hate at Nov 2, 2006,
Xotic BB ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by steven seagull
Only through harsh experience...my first pedal was a god-awful fuzz thing which I thought was the dogs bollocks. I've cringed through many a jam session with a guitarist who's first move was to plug in an MT-2 and turn everything up full except the mids which went to 0, very painful!

However, whilst I hate the MT-2 and wil gladly tell people why...there is an argument for me shutting up and leaving people to it. After all, there's no substitute for experience, and it's normally when you look back on how bad things were that you really see how far you've progressed. I obviously don't want people to waste their money on a piece of kit I don't rate, but most guitarists go through the uber-distortion phase early on. As you progress you start to notice what's lacking from the sound and can do something about it.

seconded. I'm still going to call stuff as crap as I see it, though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
seconded. I'm still going to call stuff as crap as I see it, though.

Me too

Although I fully understand the desire to ask for advice, only to do the exact opposite!

I'd imagine the metal zone from the same company would make an even better metal tone?

Stick with what you've got mate - your rig's actually one of the most practical one's I've seen in a sig. You've got a good tube amp which gives you the basis of a good tone, you've got a decent guitar with good pickups and an overdrive pedal to give everything a kick up the backside. For variation you might want to get something like a Blues Driver, and if you want things to get a bit uglier some sort of distortion pedal like a DS1 or 2. All a metal zone would do is suck all the body out of your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 3, 2006,
^ seconded. or else get a boutique distortion pedal, something like an HBE big d, which will give you more dirt, but not suck the life out of your tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 3, 2006,
you got to realize that most of the bands that have their metal sound get their sound straight from their amps or rack equipment, personally there will never be a good metal pedal only temporary rejects
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Amptone. /thread
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!