i need help with my pinky strength. i want to learn how to do fast licks...anyone have any good practice ideas and cool solo scales/arpeggios i can use?

thanks in advance.
ok, mae your own little patterns, thats what ive done cause i can t play anything fast, go through sclaes and solos wile learing to do your own little licks mentally fast too and eventually we might get there
no you will never get better. you suck, now go kill yourself emo kid.
rawwwwwwwwwwww
Take any patern that you would normally use your 1st, 2nd and 3rd finger and instead use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th (pinky). And also make up some of your own patterns.
Quote by Supern00b
I suck at guitar

i'll attest to that
to get started for scales i would recommend pentatonic scales, there are lessons on this site about them. also chromatic scales for pinky strength.
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
So you suck, eh?

Join the club
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
ok, how long should i practice.

ive been playing for 3 years....but i "suck". seee where im going?
Quote by Supern00b
ok, how long should i practice.

ive been playing for 3 years....but i "suck". seee where im going?

Practise until you get bored then put the guitar, only pick it up again when your in the mood of practising. So how much you practise will be dependant on how you feel as an individual.

Its suposed to be fun, not a chore.
Quote by Prk Marshall
Practise until you get bored then put the guitar, only pick it up again when your in the mood of practising. So how much you practise will be dependant on how you feel as an individual.

Its suposed to be fun, not a chore.

that wat ive been doing so far.
"I suck at guitar"

Then get off the internet and start practicing!!!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
"I suck at guitar"

LMAO thats probably the best advice on the thread
Quote by ScottishAngus
"I suck at guitar"

neh, good advice, but im here for practice advice, not witty remarks about my gargantuan ass.
Hundreds of scales out there to help you out. I recommend Pentatonic and Major.

Also, you could just sort of mess around with self-made patterns, like everyone has been suggesting. 1-2-3-4, etc. Just mess around until you find a nice pattern, then stick with it and practice it everyday.

Also, play licks that you 'can't' because of you're mediocre playing ability. Unfortunately I have no sample licks for you, but i'm sure someone else will point you in the right direction.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
the riff from master of puppets will help its the second riff look it up umm its like
E-----0---1----------------0-----1-----------------0--------1--------------0------1-------------0-------1--------
A------------------2-----------------------3--------------------------4-------------------3------------------------2-------------------
D--------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------
B-------------------------------
e-------------------------
jsut oplay that over and over you dont have to add the power chords
also the beginning of crazy train helped when i was a beginner
those riffs are mainly for speed but helped me
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
Last edited by aaron13 at Sep 12, 2006,
^He probably doesn't suck THAT bad.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
that actually didnt help my fingers but my picking when i got started
all i can say is practice, dont complain just work harder
What I do, is I learn songs that sound to hard for me to play. And I practice them for a while until I can play them well. What Iv been learing right now is Mr Crowley by Ozzy, and that song has some awesome solos, and I have nailed them, and iv been playing for 2 1/2 years....
1.) Learn the major, minor and blues scales. (add other scales later)
2.) Grab an acoustic guitar and go sit infront of the tv.
3.) Play the scales repeatedly while watching tv so u can take your mind off of actually playing.
4.) Pick every note and never do hammer ons while running through the scales.
5.) Practice this every nite for no longer than 1 tv show and then transfer it over to your electric after a while... you will see how fast you'll be on the electric.

As far as sweet tricks goes.....
1.) Learn alot of Rhandy Rhoads solos and metallica solos
2.) Check out the Kirk Hammet scales video on the UG home page. It will make you **** yourself!!!
i thought my pinky was weak too but i was wrong

im sure you're holding the guitar with your thumb around the neck like you would hold a baseball bat almost. move your thumb back so it is in the middle of the back of the neck. helps a lot for me when i have to use my pinky a lot
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
do the boogie woogie! chuck berry did it in johney b good! its so eazy and helps pinkie
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by ScottishAngus
"I suck at guitar"

LOL Some of the best advice I've read on here!!
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Practice

Fret your notes with the correct finger when in position, also practice bending with your pinky.

Practice

Practice

Lemon juice's advice about playing in front of the TV is good as well.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by Lemon Juice!!!
1.) Learn the major, minor and blues scales. (add other scales later)
2.) Grab an acoustic guitar and go sit infront of the tv.
3.) Play the scales repeatedly while watching tv so u can take your mind off of actually playing.
4.) Pick every note and never do hammer ons while running through the scales.
5.) Practice this every nite for no longer than 1 tv show and then transfer it over to your electric after a while... you will see how fast you'll be on the electric.

As far as sweet tricks goes.....
1.) Learn alot of Rhandy Rhoads solos and metallica solos
2.) Check out the Kirk Hammet scales video on the UG home page. It will make you **** yourself!!!

link plz.
Scales, a metronome and lots of time is in order Get to grips with some pentatonic shapes/licks to gain speed. Learn the major scale, and licks based around that, listen to Paul Gilbert/Racer X and you'll hear vast quantities of major scale runs. You must check out as many instructional videos as you can, I recommend Marc Seal's series which covers a huge variety of guitar playing, and you'll learn some sweep arpeggio shapes (major/minor shapes), which will help when improvising etc. Also look at Paul Gilbert's Intese Rock 1&2 videos. Oh and John Petrucci's rock discipline. You'll probably find the things they do are overwhelming, but you will pickup fragments of their playing which you will expand on in time.

Also try and get lessons, good luck