soo i was wondering..what scale would i use to solo pver a 2-5 jazz chord progession? eg..from d to g to d to go then e to a then t to a...what would i use? thanks!
ii - V - I in what? Your sentence is a mess, lol. I can't work it out... but..

[B]iimi7[/B] - Dorian.
[B]V7[/B] - Mixolydian.
[B]Ima7[/B] - Ionian.

...is pretty much the standard.
yeah sorry sorry..was in a rush okay my bad here...it goes like this (the chord progression)
Dm - Gm - Dm - Gm Then Em - Am - Em - Am and then Am - Dm - Abm - Dm Finally C - B - A# - A

So there are 4 phrases which go like...

Dm - Gm - Dm - Gm
Em - Am - Em - Am
Am - Dm - Abm - Dm
C - B - A# - A

afcourse the chorsd might have a 7th...or a diminshed here and there..but thats basically it
what scale i use to solo over this?
Quote by hyroglyph!c
yeah sorry sorry..was in a rush okay my bad here...it goes like this (the chord progression)
Dm - Gm - Dm - Gm Then Em - Am - Em - Am and then Am - Dm - Abm - Dm Finally C - B - A# - A

So there are 4 phrases which go like...

Dm - Gm - Dm - Gm
Em - Am - Em - Am
Am - Dm - Abm - Dm
C - B - A# - A

afcourse the chorsd might have a 7th...or a diminshed here and there..but thats basically it
what scale i use to solo over this?

You can use arpeggios with some passing tones in there.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

but in what scale? or just use the notes from the chord...? i need a scale..im lost
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That isn't trivial.

huh? please help..what scale can i use to solo over that main prgression? all those chords are 7ths too if that helps
Quote by hyroglyph!c
but in what scale? or just use the notes from the chord...? i need a scale..im lost

The notes of the chord= arpeggio. All around the neck use the notes, add some passing tones too.

Passing tones= notes that arent in the chord, dont hold them for too long.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

hmm i see so there is no specified scale for this? im starting to learn jazz..and im pretty new to it compared to other styles...not completley foreign..but im new where soloing in jazz comes in...but i need this for tomorrow....where must be a scale..even if accidentals are used..i dont have a prob..but i just need a base..im just starting...
Learn the mixolydian scale for 7th chords(ex:Bb7), dorian for minors is common to use on seventh chords (not 100% sure). You could use the beebob scale if its a beebob piece. You would use the root as 1 and go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-b7-8, just like the normal scale but with the extra b7.

So if I were you, I would learn:
D dorian
G dorian
E dorian
A dorian
C mixolydian
B mixolydian
A and A# mixolydian
The beebob scale for your key
Thats all I can give without the key signatute
You prob don't need all at once tho, learn a couple for now i reckon.
does this help??

(Please correct any errors its been a while since my jazz thoery )
Last edited by kmbuchamushroom at Sep 12, 2006,
Also jazz scale(melodic minor ascending)
Harmonic minor.
The major modes
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!