John Fahey is easily my biggest influence as a musician. I could strum chords and all but the day I heard "Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry" is the day I actually started playing guitar. He's not one of those guys that dazzles people by playing regurgitated scales at 10 notes a second; "Sligo River Blues" is only, I think, three embellished chords but it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. He's sadly unrecognized although his recent tribute album that has M. Ward, Devendra Banhart, Lee Ronaldo, Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, Sufjan Stevens, and few others probably attracted the attention of some new fans. But in a world where "Clapton is God" is a well-recieved mantra and people actually think the music of Vai and Satriani are accessible, people really don't admire true creativity.
Quote by Alarming Carrot
John Fahey is easily my biggest influence as a musician. I could strum chords and all but the day I heard "Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry" is the day I actually started playing guitar. He's not one of those guys that dazzles people by playing regurgitated scales at 10 notes a second; "Sligo River Blues" is only, I think, three embellished chords but it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. He's sadly unrecognized although his recent tribute album that has M. Ward, Devendra Banhart, Lee Ronaldo, Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, Sufjan Stevens, and few others probably attracted the attention of some new fans. But in a world where "Clapton is God" is a well-recieved mantra and people actually think the music of Vai and Satriani are accessible, people really don't admire true creativity.

Satriani and Vai are accessible. Try listening to Screaming Headless Torsos. And 10 nps isn't anything particularly impressive. And if you're going to tell me that Vai and Satch aren't truly creative, I'm going to completely disregard your opinion.

He's a good musician. I wouldn't have anything much more to say about him other than that.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Satriani and Vai are accessible. Try listening to Screaming Headless Torsos. And 10 nps isn't anything particularly impressive. And if you're going to tell me that Vai and Satch aren't truly creative, I'm going to completely disregard your opinion.

He's a good musician. I wouldn't have anything much more to say about him other than that.

I couldn't care less of what you think of my opinion. I think that Vai and Satch, while playing things that I and many others will never be able to play, are a bit audacious to their skill and not for the sake of the song. Plus it kinda sounds like crap, in my opinion. Anybody who's never played a guitar won't listen to more than 5 seconds of it.
^ You ****ing people...., you're quick to jump on any artist you don't appreciate and call them "emotionless" or "without feeling", but the minute someone says anything the least bit insulting to what you consider to be good music, you bust the proverbial nut all over the place. Musical acceptance is the way to go, stop belittling others and appreciate their music, even if you don't listen to it. If you don't like it, just forego any mention of it, don't bring it up in a "WELL THEY SUCK ASS HUR HUR HUR!" kind of way. I will say this, you did state that it is indeed your opinion, and for that I applaud you, far too many people on this board think the way things are in their minds is the unquestionable truth. However, once again I will say this (and kind of steal a quote from a Guitar World from awhile back), as musicians we are in this together, don't hate, appreciate ^~^.

ON TOPIC D:, John Fahey is pretty cool, my dad introduced me to him awhile ago. It's a shame he died so young, his life is rather reminiscent of Roy Buchanan's in my eyes, a great talent that went unnoticed by the masses and died far too soon.

PS: I fail to see how this is technically audacious or unaccesible in any way, I've played it for dozens of people who have never touched an instrument and the vast majority of them thoroughly enjoyed it.
Last edited by Ohpeasson at Sep 15, 2006,
This a topic about Jonh Fahey..

So STFU about Vai and Satch. If they aint your cup of tea, then why even bring them up? You're just looking for an argument arent you??
Quote by Alarming Carrot
I couldn't care less of what you think of my opinion. I think that Vai and Satch, while playing things that I and many others will never be able to play, are a bit audacious to their skill and not for the sake of the song. Plus it kinda sounds like crap, in my opinion. Anybody who's never played a guitar won't listen to more than 5 seconds of it.

I found out about Satch and Vai through a person that has never played any instrument, nor has any intention to ever play an instrument. Some non musicians actually are very open minded folk, and can appreciate great music even if it doesn't fit the standard mould. You could learn something from those people.

Saying that Vai and Satch are audacious as to the skill kinda shows me you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Seriously, listen to Die to Live by Vai or Cryin' by Satch before you spout ****e like that.

We didn't bring up Satch and Vai. You did. All I'm doing is defending two great musicians. I'd do the same if somebody in the shred forum started talking ****e about John. If you don't like them fine, but don't insult them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I found out about Satch and Vai through a person that has never played any instrument, nor has any intention to ever play an instrument. Some non musicians actually are very open minded folk, and can appreciate great music even if it doesn't fit the standard mould. You could learn something from those people.

Saying that Vai and Satch are audacious as to the skill kinda shows me you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Seriously, listen to Die to Live by Vai or Cryin' by Satch before you spout ****e like that.

We didn't bring up Satch and Vai. You did. All I'm doing is defending two great musicians. I'd do the same if somebody in the shred forum started talking ****e about John. If you don't like them fine, but don't insult them.

I don't care to further this. You can state what you want about Fahey, positive or negative, as it means nothing to me. I'm not 5 years old, I don't get emotional when you insult somebody I appreciate via a message board. There is no point to argue what is good or creative and what isn't. I have stated mine and you(collectively) have stated yours, neither side is going to be swayed.

You're right, this thread is about Fahey. It's a shame that more attention has been brought to this thread because of what I posted about Vai and Satch.
I'm reviving this thread because I just discovered John Fahey, and I'm pretty blown away. I can't believe it actually took me so long to find out about him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lP3hY8HQFSE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BcR_npDy6CQ&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jFzKM6HzBSw&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tRqF-BfNS_k&mode=related&search=

There's some great footage of him on a guitar show of some sort. He's really got a pretty epic sound.