As much as the Arctic Monkeys deserved the Mercury Award, this man deserves it too for the stunning album he made, Coles Corner. Is anyone else into him. I've heard some of his earlier stuff to and it isn't hype, the man is a tremendous artist, and he has a very respectable reference book for his influences. If you like late 50's rock and roll, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, and Gospel tinged country then check him out.
'Cole's Corner' was an excellent album and did deserve the Mercury Prize (over what was nominated), or at least to split it with Sway. But I seriously think they ****ed up big time when they missed out 'Stranger on the sofa' from the entire selection.

Anyway, Hawley, yeah, very good album. Didn't ever get really stuck into the Longpigs though. It's just a shame that the Arctic Monkeys won. There is a copy of the album in this house and I really can't understand the fuss. However, I'm glad that they didn't pick Hot Chip, Scritti Politti, Muse or the Thom Yorke album as the winner. They just had a tough selection of average albums (with the exception of a couple).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I have to still check him out.

i wanted yorke to get it though out of respect for him though.

although i wouldve been extactic if Sway got it. i saw him live. he was sweeeeeeet
It's a very good album, had it for a couple of months now and it's beautiful stuff, great to listen to at night. Shame he didn't win the Mercury Prize, I wanted either him or Isobel Campbell/Mark Lanegan to win, but nice to see it recognised. It's good to know there are musicians out there still making albums like his, I didn't know what to expect when I got it but it's really enjoyable. Coles Corner is probably my favourite song, but I really like the last track which is just a solo piano piece too.
^ I thought the Isobel/Mark album was really not that good for what they'd managed to do in the past.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Well, I've not heard a huge amount of either of their past work but what stuck out again was, like the Hawley album, it was an interesting style for me, but I agree that it doesn't really hold up as well in comparison to Coles Corner. Actually, I think those may be the only two albums I've heard in full from the list...