His ability to say ******, mike jones, sex, head, crunk, drugs, gettin, smokin and all of that other stupid lingo they use in those ****ty songs
Thoughtful lyrics, uniqueness, creativity, versitility etc.
By the way, soul_power is obviously pretty close minded.
Tiger style.
You sir, have created an oxymoron, for there is no such thing as a good rapper.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
Flow.

Biggie smalls and Bizarre from d-12.

they could rap about sticking their d1ck through pancakes and you just take it, you feel it, and you go with it.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Quote by ChildrenOfRuin

My point exactly. That is after all what i mean when i talk about ****ty music.
Quote by soul_power
His ability to say ******, mike jones, sex, head, crunk, drugs, gettin, smokin and all of that other stupid lingo they use in those ****ty songs

you're intelligent. seriously. that's ALL rap is about. you got it pinned down

usually lyrics and beats. if you listen to 2pac or biggie, they talk a lot about how bad gang violence is and how they are torn between their cultural upbringings and living a better life.

as for beats, listen to still dre by dr. dre. best beat ever. something catchy that doesn't get annoying.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
^----thoughtful lyrics? i like how you say that when the most popular songs degrade everyone that is not in that particular rappers entourage. It is pretty meaningful though i must admit when they rap about "sprayin down ho's," it really reaches out to me and inspires me to want to spray ho's........
People who think that all rap lacks any creative merit are either mindless sheep or haven't heard of Tupac.
Tiger style.
Quote by nine01n
oh yeah, and of course
bass--bass-SNARE-bass-bass-SNARE-bass

hahaha but of course...the beats are soooo hard to make....
and to those who are saying rap lyrics are all bad and inspire violence/hatred/ect, i'd like to point out both the stupidity/nonsensical lyrics that much of classic rock/rock/metal music has.

no, its just all the beats originate from that one. just play it out with your hands you should get the beat i mean..it is in EVERY rap song,
that beat in rap is equivalent to a-3 e-3 e-5 e-1 in poppunk
Quote by nine01n
oh yeah, and of course

dude i like that beat that you made that was on the top 40 last week. and that one that was on the tupac greatest hits cd.

oh wait...

Quote by kevinm4435
Thoughtful lyrics, uniqueness, creativity, versitility etc.
By the way, soul_power is obviously pretty close minded.

THOGHTFUL LYRICS? CREATIVITY? holy hell! even on a guitar website! shame on you.
haha...
soo many playa hataz...
Quote by sonixon
I'll say.
They were originally going make Claudio a part of Mount Rushmore, but the material was not tough enough to sculpt his hair out of.

Quote by thefinalcut
"St. Anger" was done in Drop Z tuning, they were trying to "out heavy" Slipknot.
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
THOGHTFUL LYRICS? CREATIVITY? holy hell! even on a guitar website! shame on you.

HAHAHAHA exactly my point.
a lot of the repsonses in this thread really make me sad.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by nine01n
oh yeah, and of course

sounds like we will rock you hahaah
The fact that most of you completely refuse to listen to rap on more than just a "this sucks" level shows how young and immature much of this site's user base truly is. And besides, let's see you create a top 40 rap album and sell millions of records. I'm not saying that all rap is masterful (I wonder how many times I've heard someone rip off Ludacris this week?), but at recognize that creating a good rap song takes creativity and keeping lyrics interesting requires at least a little more cleverness than your standard modern rock tune because with rap you can't always just cover it up with instrumentation.
Tiger style.
Last edited by kevinm4435 at Sep 12, 2006,
Quote by kevinm4435
The fact that most of you completely refuse to listen to rap on more than just a "this sucks" level shows how young and immature much of this site's user base truly is. And besides, let's see you create a top 40 rap album and sell millions of records.

Actually it can't be that hard to write a crunk album.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by ChildrenOfRuin

Your parents sir, have created an oxymoron, for before you i never knew there was such thing as someone being anally conceived
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
I don't really agree that good rap needs thoughtful lyrics. I mean Wu-Tang weren't really thoughtful lyrisicts, but their use of strong language and metaphors make them lyrically. Also, the members who were weaker in the lyrics department were completely original and had crazy original flows and style. Even when that is all said and done you need good creative beats. That's what pretty much makes a good rapper in ym eyes.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by thelordofguitar
rap is crap

u wanna know wat rap stands 4?

Retards
Attemptin
Poetry

Whoa, crazy rhymes. You are like a rapper yourself...

Well anyway the amount of immaturity in this thread is making me go crazy.

I haven't been a huge rap fan, but I do appreciate it and acknowledge that there is definitely good rap out there. In fact I just borrowed The College Dropout from a friend today. I haven't had the chance to give it a proper listen, but I will be soon. Kanye has some good songs, no doubt. But I think some of them suck too. And regardless of the music, he seems like a real conceited jerk.
To put it succinctly: Good lyrics and good delivery.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
Someone ban these fucking retards already. It's the same thing every single time: a discussion about rap starts, and half of the replies are a couple of jackasses who think their pitiful ignorance-driven opinions will make a good contribution to the thread... It's common sense that if you have nothing to contribute to a discussion, you stay the hell out of it. I don't go to the metal forum either and complain about how much i dislike death metal. You don't like it? Stay out. Unless you have a good argument for your opinion, all you're doing is proving what an idiot you are. So fuck off and leave the Other Music forum alltogether, because it explicitly states this is the place to talk about hip-hop.

I like different things in different rappers: lyrical content, flow, delivery, word play, humor, the sound of a voice, uniqueness or just plain badassery.

Lyrics are important, but they don't necessarily have to make sense. Ghostface is one of my favs, but i never understood what he's talking about.
A good topic/theme is always appreciated. Clever wordplay is an element as well. Multi-syllablic rhymes, words with double meanings, etc.
Delivery and flow can make or break a rhyme though... one of the reasons i can't really get into Guru from Gang Starr. He's a great lyricist, but his delivery is so booooring. While other rappers who may not be very special in the lyrical department can still stand out because of their great flow and/or delivery, or because they have a completely unique style.
There isn't really one of those elements that i consider more important than the others.
I would say producers ,flow ,lyrics ,ability to sound very distinctive.
Quote by RHCPhysco8
a lot of the repsonses in this thread really make me sad.

It's pathetic isn't it?!
I would go through and clean it up now but I don't have the time at the moment, so please people, don't start quoting all the idiots and continuing that crap, actually make a decent discussion out of this or it will be closed.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
A good MC doesn't really need deep thoughtful lyrics. Actually a lot of great music doesn't have the most profound of lyrics. I think a good MC has a lot to do with delivery. Flow matters a lot to me. So stuff sounds like the MC is falling all over himself trying too hard. While other just spit and it works. DJ and MC chemistry is important too I think. Guru and Premier, Chuck D and Terminator X, EPMD and Scratch, etc. That is huge in my opinion. Some MCs are so full of themselves you have no idea who their DJ is.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Flow, inteligence, vocabulary.

In that order.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by rich_duran2
What makes a rapper.??.....has chicks in shorts in his videos, stupid adittude, comits crime cause he wont find a job, cant play guitar so he samples...cant play drums, so he samples again...cant play bass so he samples once more. NOW THAT MAKES A GOOD RAPPER!!!

Wow, so a classicly trained violinist can't play any of those instuements, so I suppose he/she must sample too huh?
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....