I'm trying to emulate the sort of solo style used by Floyd's David Gilmour, but it's proving frustrating work. What am I missing?
well start by telling us what do you know first, then we can tell you what more you need to know
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
He's a tough style to master, but after watching several floyd and gilmour videos, I have developed my very own gilmour style. It's hard to explain, but instead of trying pentatonics, add several notes from natural minor. Also, study the comfortably numb solo. Notice when he arpeggiates, and copy it. Also, soulful bends are your friend.
Your own style...

Work on phrasing, or making your solos say something. Anyone can make a guitar talk, but not everyone can make one speak.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
....so basically your trying to solo like him because he doesnt play fast oook

try using pentatonic scales, bend notes alot, make it sound bluesy if you will, use your neck pickup, not too much distortion
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
....so basically your trying to solo like him because he doesnt play fast oook

try using pentatonic scales, bend notes alot, make it sound bluesy if you will, use your neck pickup, not too much distortion

I'm trying to solo like him because I like his sound. YOu might not remember them, but once a guitarist was measured by how pleasant he was to hear, not how fast he could play.
alittle delay goes a long way
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez SZ, RG w/ Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
Marshall JCM2000 head 1960 Cab
and many pedals...

www.adamcutrone.com
^i make art
Quote by Mongoose87
I'm trying to solo like him because I like his sound. YOu might not remember them, but once a guitarist was measured by how pleasant he was to hear, not how fast he could play.

dude, i never said Gilmore wasnt good. all you said was that you know that his solos are slow so i figured thats why you wanted to play like him. another thing im not into shred or anything else that your probably thinking of. i like gilmores solos, and i like to make my solos sound good rather than fast.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

I am a huge Gilmour fan myself, so I'll just share what I've observed.

First of all, he uses a pretty large variety of effects in his playing.

As far as style goes, he is in no way whatsoever a speed player. Gilmour focuses more on hitting precisely the right note at precisely the right time to contribute the best sound to the song, as opposed to simply flying up and down a scale at light speed. So first of all, if you're a shred type of guy, SLOW DOWN.

Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) he mainly uses a minor pentatonic scale for most of his solos, so it always comes in handy to have that down pretty well.

In addition, I would sit down and listen to some Floyd tunes with solos in them and try to learn them. Once you can play through some of his guitar parts, you'll start to get a feel for his style.
I dont want to be the one to say it, but you will never sound like him 100%- for the simple fact you arent him. I say you try to play his solos until you dont want to anymore, then play them 100 more times. Make sure you phrasing is correct- then try and solo over the original solo. If you can do that and have it sound pleasing, you are about as close as you are going to be to him. But it is each guitarists own style that makes him/her unique.
Not Enough AssHatery
He is surprisingly difficult to emulate. He bends alot. I mean, alot. And he has such an understanding of the music and whats being played around him, its incredible.

The gilmourish.com is good, and very helpful. I want to try to deck my crappy strat out to be a lot like his Black Strat.

And for anyone here. Do the types of strings matter? I couldnt find it on the site there, but is there a set of strings that would be best if youre going to be playing lots of Gilmour?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)