All right payday is coming up, this will be my first mod, i have been wanting to Mod a Strat for a while now, i already have a MIM, but im not touching that one, so im going to just buy a Squire or copy used for cheap..

I have a freind whom is amazing at painting, and she said she would hook my guitar up, im going to have here paint a womans body along the lines of the guitar.. and whatever else she sees fit for it..

my question tho is, how should i set this up for here to paint on? should she paint on sanded primer? or should i actually lay the topcoat of paint down (which will be white)? and what type of paint should she use to do the art? and also, what should i seal it with? clear coat? thats pretty much all i need to know at this stage.. just so i can get everything ready...

this is sorta of an effect i want.. with all the designs + the woman... any other ideas? this is the commemerative Hendrix strat. of hes barcalona spain concert
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Well I don't know about doing brushwork and whatnot, but when I painted mine I sanded it down with 240 and then 320, primed, sanded with 320, did the base coat, sanded with 600, lacquer, sanded with 600, lacquer, sanded with 600, lacquer, wet sanded with 1200 then 2000, buff.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by hokiecmo
Well I don't know about doing brushwork and whatnot, but when I painted mine I sanded it down with 240 and then 320, primed, sanded with 320, did the base coat, sanded with 600, lacquer, sanded with 600, lacquer, sanded with 600, lacquer, wet sanded with 1200 then 2000, buff.

awsome, i was just searching the forums for a good pattern.. thanks... anyone with thoughts on the actual art painting? when should i paint it on?
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Okk, You'll want to scuff sand the whole body with 220 to rough up the surface. put on about 2-4 thin coats of primer. sand flat with 400, put on final flat coat of primer. I'm not sure exaclt what you want. But at this point you can put on all your color coats (if you want a white guitar put a white color coat on the primer will not count as a white coat*)

When she paints, if she uses brushes, tell her to use acrylics and use a thinner to reduce brush marks. Once shes done painting. spray 3 coats of clear, let it dry overnight and sand flat with 400 grit, repeat this process for about 3 days. In a couple days you should have about 9 thin coats of laquer on, Sand it once more wiht 400. and put on one medium thick coat. Let it dry for 2-3 weeks. And folow regular buffing procedure. If you notice that soem of the brush marks are really noticable anytime after you do your sanding of 400, then your going to want to extend that procedure maybe another day or two.

Yeah... if that made no sense then ask again and I'll try to clarify any unclear points

NOTE For your clear coat anf primer coats, use a paint brand called DUPLICOLOR, or KRYLON. You can also mix these two brands they are both made of acrylic lacquer, and they are the recommened brands for people new to painting.
Thanks, very informative, Couple questions though. I understand the primer process, then i lay down the primary color, i would have to let that dry completely correct? so she could paint on it.. then once shes painted it, then i Clearcoat it.. with some layers of that. And after clear coated, i sand and do it again... Since shes already painted it, will sanding the clear coat affect here painting, or do i just use nice easy sanding process, and not go deep?

thanks again!
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

Sounds pretty cool. i dont know about all the hearts and what not though. it kinda takes away from the feeling of the woman. when i think of having a woman on a guitar, i think of having like, more rebelious and stuff. mabey instead of having the wavy and whispey vin things, mabey like, more of a thorny vine and a bleeding rose or something. or barb-wire. its not a bad idea (the whispy stuff) jsut what I would do.
Quote by dark manor
Sounds pretty cool. i dont know about all the hearts and what not though. it kinda takes away from the feeling of the woman. when i think of having a woman on a guitar, i think of having like, more rebelious and stuff. mabey instead of having the wavy and whispey vin things, mabey like, more of a thorny vine and a bleeding rose or something. or barb-wire. its not a bad idea (the whispy stuff) jsut what I would do.

Lol iadmit its kinda girly, but the Strat up top is just an idea of the idea im going for. the Whole Painted on feel. But i understand what your saying, honestly i dont even know what shes going to paint.. i just said i wanted a nice body of a girl with the contours of the guitar... what i was thinking was very thin paint strokes with the girls body made of smooth lines.. kinda like vines in the shap of the girl, but not actuall vines, just a very organic feel.. (it makes sense in my head lol)
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

the thing it that you wont' want to sand after she has laid down her paint, right after she paints it, let it dry nice then put the clear on

after you have the clear on, you can sand light between coats to keep it smooth without affected her painting.

if you sand after she paints and before you clear...it might run together and mess it all up.
When you first start clear coating the body put on a couple thin coats, lightly sand it, and do it again. Once you get about 5-6 coats on, then you can really start sanding. I'm only saying this because the design the person painted on is probably textured. And if you start doing som massive sanding to make it g ocompletely flat after 3 coats, you'll probably sand through your layer of clear coat really fast.

And yeah, dont' sand until you have a clear coat on, or else your sanding plain color, and you'll most likely end up csanding through the paint layer.
Thanks alot everyone, i think i pretty much have an idea now, but i will definatly ask some questions once paint starts... first i have to get the guitar cuz i dont want to Mess up my Fender, on that note, if anyone is getting rid of strat or tele copy, let me know! im trying to get one ASAP, or im just going to buy a Saga Kit...]

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432417

Thanks again!
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

Quote by Ervinr82
Lol iadmit its kinda girly, but the Strat up top is just an idea of the idea im going for. the Whole Painted on feel. But i understand what your saying, honestly i dont even know what shes going to paint.. i just said i wanted a nice body of a girl with the contours of the guitar... what i was thinking was very thin paint strokes with the girls body made of smooth lines.. kinda like vines in the shap of the girl, but not actuall vines, just a very organic feel.. (it makes sense in my head lol)

well as long as it makes sence in your head, who ****in' cares?

^^lol, that makes me laugh everytime
Last edited by AtrumArx at Sep 13, 2006,