What's the sonic difference between a Boss DS-1 and OD-3? The former is distortion, the latter is overdrive. What's the difference and which one do i want if im trying to get a John Petrucci tone?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hahahaha, way to try and sound like you know what youre talking about !!! i applaud the effort
Quote by deahhizooke
hahahaha, way to try and sound like you know what youre talking about !!! i applaud the effort

Don't be a douche. TS, what kind of rig do you already have?
Hi, I'm Peter
i imagine overdrive will give u much more distortion and a heavier tone. i never really knew the exact difference either
things can always be worse...tho the end of the world does seem like a good time to confess your sins, doesnt it?
Overdrives work better with tube amps. Distortions also can work well with tube amps. And some distortion pedals can be brutal.
Hi, I'm Peter
Brutal as in heavy, or brutal as in ****? And i want a good clean upper range, like i already mentioned.

Yeah, it's called "proper english". Try it some time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Brutal as in heavy or at least...abusive. But of course, the best distortions come from high volume amps. Any reason you're targeting the BOSS pedals exclusively?
Hi, I'm Peter
Because i've had experience with Boss pedals and i like them. Why, do you have a suggestion for a better pedal?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Keeley modded Boss MT2 was the only distortion pedal I've used and actually liked.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Ace88
Because i've had experience with Boss pedals and i like them. Why, do you have a suggestion for a better pedal?

Nope, just wondering. There are a lot of distortion, overdrive and fuzz pedals out there. It's all just personal preference anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
Isn't it that an overdrive pedal will give you a stronger signal that is designed to drive the input of your amp (ie. the preamp) very hard, giving your amp a much better chance at distorting itself naturally, whereas a distortion pedal is one that creates its own distortion and relies on your amp to simply amplify it?

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Isn't it that an overdrive pedal will give you a stronger signal that is designed to drive the input of your amp (ie. the preamp) very hard, giving your amp a much better chance at distorting itself naturally, whereas a distortion pedal is one that creates its own distortion and relies on your amp to simply amplify it?

Chris

Spot on. A overdrive pedal will push the tubes in a tube amp harder to cause them to distort... sometimes the built in preamp in your amp is not enough for your application. A distortion pedal is basically sound in a box, it drives nothing.
Quote by axemanchris

Chris

they both use diode clipping, distortion uses hard clipping, OD pedals try to use soft clipping, more like how a tube would distort. Those are the applications where they work best though IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by i_baked_cookies
Spot on. A overdrive pedal will push the tubes in a tube amp harder to cause them to distort... sometimes the built in preamp in your amp is not enough for your application. A distortion pedal is basically sound in a box, it drives nothing.

I think a lot of people confuse an overdrive with a signal boost pedal.
Hi, I'm Peter
Since my amp is a solid state i suppose i should spring for the DS-1 then.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.