Page 1 of 2
Can someone please explain me the Hendrix Technique (Scales and stuff like that, not physical playing)??

I would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
its pretty standard stuff, blues and pentatonic runs mixed with old school r&b like curtis mayfield. you've just got to listen to him to get some of his style, its not like we can tell you how to do it on ug.
Whatever you do, don't be too neat. If you're not really sloppy, people will confuse you for trying to sound like SRV.

hehehe....

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
take apart some of his licks and put them into your own. here's a little piece to get you started in the Em pentatonic

E----12h14--12h14--12h14p12---------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------15---------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------------14^---14---12h14p12-------------
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------14-------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those F#'s on the top string should probably be G's, no?

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Bending was also his main weapon. Even if he hit a wrong note, he could bend it to pitch. Try working on that yourself. Dont be afraid to cut loose and let it fly. If you hit a wrong note, slide or bend it to a correct pitch without losing the groove.
Quote by axemanchris
Those F#'s on the top string should probably be G's, no?

Not necessarily. F# is still part of of the Em scale (major second), so it doesn't really matter.

If people feel like adding the aug4th/dim5th to a Pentatonic scale to make it 'blue', then why not the maj2nd?
True enough. I realize all that. It's just that most pentatonic minor scales use
1, b3, 4, #4, 5, b7, 1.

deahhizooke has 1, b3, 4, b7.... and 2.

Okay, I missed the G on the third string 12th fret, and was thinking that he had 1, 2, 4, b7 and left out the b3. Nevermind....

Chris

be kick ass? lol i dont know asides from whats been mentioned
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
dude, it's all basic blues/rock soloing, just play what feels right to you, don't copy hendrix.
Start with the #1 and #2 positions of the E Pentatonic Minor. Learn EVERYTHING you can get out of those two, then move on.
To get a feel of his music, study his songs then transfer the scales and patterns to riffs that are more familiar to you. Take a scale and add a bunch of bends or jump from one end of the neck to another, change it up. But remember, no one can realy play exactly like him, well unless you are his reincarnation...
For those about to rock... I join you.

- AC/DC Rocks On -
Well it's for his 40th death anniversary and I want to make sure my band and I are playing a song that are in his style, to make cool.
To play like Jimi Hendrix:

1. Get really high
2. Play pentatonics
3. Add buttloads of distortion and effects
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
Light your guitar on fire, play with your teeth, and, oh yeah, use your thumb for vibrato.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
1. Use LSD
2. Wear colorful outfits
3. Use more LSD
4. Play any single coil guitar upside down !!!
5. Use more LSD
6. Use 700watt speakers for your 100watt amps
7. Use more LSD
8. Use a minimum of 10 effect pedals chained through the front output of your amp
9. Use more LSD
10. Play as if the Guitar is your own a> Penis ; b>***** ; c>BaseBall Bat ; d>Bong
11. Use more LSD
12. Save some coke, spread it all over your guitar, burn it !!!
13. Use more LSD pluss sleeping pills................ lots of 'em !!
14. Go to bed....

If you wake up, your either the greatest guitarist ever, or dead in heaven OR hell (depends on how many chicks you screwed while you were sober)

Seriously......... get your own style !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
My lifes mission just became apparent..
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
its basically pentatonics, and the E7#9 chord which really set him apart, and the chord/melody thing he did in little wing
Last edited by ledhed68 at Sep 26, 2006,
I want to sound like Hendrix to make a song to him in tribute. I could have chosen to make a song with my own style, but I want to try his style. So shut up with your ''get your own style'' things!!!
He said it right, he was talking about Hendrix being sloppier. Read it again.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

''If you wake up, your either the greatest guitarist ever, or dead in heaven OR hell (depends on how many chicks you screwed while you were sober)

Seriously......... get your own style !!''

I talk about technically with scals and stuff and fingerings... not stupid things like he wrote.
Quote by distilledspirit
Pentatonic was his weapon, plus he would use the pen-dorian sometimes like in Red House.

Red House=Brilliant solos. Prolly one of the greatest ever IMO. Doesn't get much recognition though.
Why don't you just learn some of his songs and then you will know his style. You don't need to know the names of the scales and chords he used. If you learn a few of his songs his style will become clear. Learn Purple Haze, its an easier song by him, then work your way up to songs like All Along The Watchtower and Voodoo Chile.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Voodoo Child is one of his absolute easiest songs.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Quote by chopps00
Why don't you just learn some of his songs and then you will know his style. You don't need to know the names of the scales and chords he used. If you learn a few of his songs his style will become clear. Learn Purple Haze, its an easier song by him, then work your way up to songs like All Along The Watchtower and Voodoo Chile.

(to above me post) unless u did mean voodoo CHILD, lol

Its Voodoo Chile. Look it up.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I just got, Axis: Bold As Love, and Are You Experenced? this morning, and I have listened to nothing but those two albums since. I have had his greatest hits for a while, and I always thought he was good, but now I have discovered his true talent.

Stone Free
51st Annerversary
Spanish Castle Magic
Highway Chile

All great songs...
Quote by chopps00
Its Voodoo Chile. Look it up.

hate to bump this topic, but i meant the post above my last one, not yours. i knew there was a voodoo chile, and child, i was just saying cause after your post he said voodoo child...ahhh i confused myself

Quick question, what tuning was his guitar in?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Typically a half step down across the board ( Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb). Supposedly it allowed him to bend better.
^Eb or standard i believe.
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Page 1 of 2