Can someone explain the differences in setting the pickup height high or low? Mine is set pretty low from the strings and my tone sounds fine. I tried raising them a bit for a comparison, but I could not tell a difference....
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
It doesnt make too much of a difference, you can make more of a difference from just messing with your tone. But setting them higher gives more output and more bite, while lower is less output and less bite.
It depends on the type of pickups and the style of guitar you play. If you play screaming leads, you want the pickups close to the strings. For rhythm guitar you want them further away.

Humbuckers should be set a so the treble strings are a little closer than the bass strings.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
high = stronger notes at the price of sustain; more punch
low = softer notes but more sustain
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
well with EMGs or any actives pickups, the closer they are to teh strings the better sound ur gonna get
They may not be much of a change, however, if you raise it too much, you will loose tremendous sustain or become too muddy coz the magnets are pulling the strings easier. If you set it too low, you couldnt hear much, volume wise.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I messed around with the height a week ago,and now the height seems weird,a part of the humbucker is moving foward towards the treble strings
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by evening_crow
high = stronger notes at the price of sustain; more punch
low = softer notes but more sustain

was confused about what you said for a second but then i realised.

with passive pickups that's true.

with active pickups you can get bloody limitless sustain from setting the pickups as close as you can to the strings.

It's all to do with the pull of the magnets and stuff.

I generally have my bridge humbucker as high as i can for that great distortion, and then the rythm/clean humbucker at the bridge is a bit lower to get some nice natural decay.
Marty
Generally:

Action as low as possible without fretbuzz or whatever
Pickups as high as possible without affecting vibrations of strings etc.

Although there are so many exceptions to that, so don't quote this post or something
Quote by madpickin03
which part particularly?

um,the other part of the single coil from the hum...well,if you get it,it's kinda hard to explain
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
um,the other part of the single coil from the hum...well,if you get it,it's kinda hard to explain

Dont get it , pics? Do you mean that your humbucker splitted in half???
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic