Page 1 of 2
So me and a friend were looking around at school today for a piece of wood for a guitar and we came across this nice piece of oregon

I was thinking of using it to make something like this

Because of the knots, I'm going to take 150mm strips either side of the knots and another piece of wood up the center. Dad can get hardwood (probably ironbark) from work for free. I don't know any of the tonal characteristics of ironbark or oregon, but I'm sure somebody will let me know.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Sep 13, 2006,
A nice piece of Oregon?

Uhh...
Is that a kind of tree? I live in Oregon and haven't heard of it. Looks kind of like Cedar or Douglas Fir to me, and I'd think both of them would be too porous.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by the_random_hero
So me and a friend were looking around at school today for a piece of wood for a guitar and we came across this nice piece of oregon

I was thinking of using it to make something like this

Because of the knots, I'm going to take 150mm strips either side of the knots and another piece of wood up the center. Dad can get hardwood (probably ironbark) from work for free . I don't know any of the tonal characteristics of ironbark or oregon, but I'm sure somebody will let me know.

Sorry...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
never heard of oregon wood.

i cant really find much. its sued for sculptures alot.

is it from oregon?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I have no idea specifcally, but apparently it's a type of dense pine. That thing weighs about twice as much as my lap steel does.

Dead-fish...I don't get it
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Sep 13, 2006,
Ok that wood is not godo for a body. Unless you can find a way to not put in those knots. Because those knots will really fck up the body.
Quote by the_random_hero
Because of the knots, I'm going to take 150mm strips either side of the knots and another piece of wood up the center. Dad can get hardwood (probably ironbark) from work for free. I don't know any of the tonal characteristics of ironbark or oregon, but I'm sure somebody will let me know.

Try reading
Quote by False_God
that would doesnt look to suitable for a guitar boby..

...........because?
if that wood is dense than i think you can get fat sounds. but i'm not sure. Maybe you could make the voodoo finish on that. it would look nice. I'm getting my ash tomorrow for my strat.
Its pine, right?? Pine isnt a decent tonewood, theres your explanation.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
It's a pine, but a lot different from what you're referring to as pine. It's about 1.5 times as dense from what I can work out. Dix is using it to make his archtop. If it's no good, I'll find another piece of wood and make another body
Hi dont know if it helps but i think it is actually called oregon myrtle, Cord told me that is what it is called & that it is 1 of the better tonewoods or more accuratly used on some of the more expensive guitars. There is another type of oregon timber as well californian i think

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Oregon's mostly an Australian wood, isn't it? O__o

It's Western Australian.. That's what I thought? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank god some Australians are acutally understanding this. No offense, by freaking hell yankies, just because it doesn't grow in your back yard, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I think it will work ok. Be sure to keep us updated. Ironbark is so strong, I think it will carry the sound well,.
West aussie clan of UG! we need our own lil lame ass club or somn so we can run around with jarrah guitars tearing the world up!
Marty
Hell yeha Aussies........ I dont know about Oregon' as a guitar wood but im preety certain Ironbark would be awesome...... it would look soo cool too if you left it as like a natural finish..... Be heavy as a bastard tho.
The piece I can get for free is 600x140x35. We thicknessed the piece of oregon to 37mm, so we will just have to take a little bit more off. The ironbark would add a fair bit of weight to it, so having the pickup in it should give it a nice sound. I'll get tomorrow, but I don't know if I will get a chance to do some work on the weekend. 3 birthdays and a fundraiser to do
I agree with the Aussie club thingo, it's good knowing that some people actually know how much more things cost in Australia.
I'm in Macksville, so I win
Lol...
I LIVE IN OREGON!

I'm not just any old "yank," lol.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
THis thread has turned into the Oz club. I'm not in WA, I come from what I like to call sh!tsville, NSW. It's a small town, closer to Melbourne than Sydney byt a mere half-hour. Six hours one, Five and a half the other.
Yay Aussie Club!
Macksville is halfway between Brisbane and Sydney. You know Greg Inglis from the Storms? My Drama teacher taught him footy
I've got some oregon in my garage, it will be intresting to see how this works out. Like a years and a half ago i made a thread asking it was suitable for bodies but no-one really knew what it was. I'm pretty sure the oregon we have isn't oregon myrtle though. oregon myrtle looks different.

N.S.W represent!
this thread is hilarious haha

good luck with your project, hopefully your wood is suitible because you dont normally just find a valuable tonewood simply lying around.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Damn yanks giving me misleading information. I got the piece of ironbark today. I'll see how much work I can get done before I go to work.
Hey what r u guys talking about (U DONT USEALLY FIND GOOD TONEWOOD JUST LYING AROUND) what do u suppose the OLD growth forest timber is , it is the stuff that has sunk in a river/lake for like the last couple of hundred years, & sombody just finds it lying there!!!!!!!!! & harvests it. Also where do u think wood /tone wood comes from. TREES yeah the things u c just lying around/growing all ovr this planet
The whole tonewood debate is really a bit of a beat up. Dont get me wrong, there r woods that sound better 2 the trained ear than others, yes 4 sure i believe that. However having said that there r so many timbers & it dont matter a tinkers damn if u want 2 make your guitar out of matchstix it will still work. (assuming it is actually built as a working guitar) I will try & find a pic where a well known US guitar builder built a guitar out of a pallet he found in the dumster out front of his guitar factory, just 2 prove exactly what im saying, & according 2 all reports it sounds GR8 (hmmmmm wonder if that pallet was the right type of tone(wack)wood. Personally im more of a believer in the idea that the guys who were building guitars like 200 > 400 years ago would have built them out of what was there(close 2 home), i.e. the tree growing in the yard or something similar, we all tend 2 think because we have computers & electronics/technology that we have a stronghold on knowledge well wake up & smell the roses ppl

Dont know if ya can read the story HAVE A GO

Looks Cool eh? Made out of an old pallet WWWoooOOO000OOOoooHHH
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 15, 2006,
Quote:J-Spoon
No offense, by freaking hell yankies, just because it doesn't grow in your back yard, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not everyone on this forum are yankies, fool, im irish ffs. And dont call em yankies, theyre AMERICANS, right??

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Don't get so defensive of them! None of us Aussies ever claimed that everybody else was a Yank. And I call them a Yank because that's what I grew up calling them
I thought "Yanks" was what some might call New Yorkers, myself. Oh, oh.. Another Jim!
These go to eleven...
seppo's is what w3e call em here in Oz
As in septic tank / yank BTW this doesnt mean i have anything against Americans, dont have 2 Osama has that market cornered.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Hey what r u guys talking about (U DONT USEALLY FIND GOOD TONEWOOD JUST LYING AROUND) what do u suppose the OLD growth forest timber is , it is the stuff that has sunk in a river/lake for like the last couple of hundred years, & sombody just finds it lying there!!!!!!!!! & harvests it. Also where do u think wood /tone wood comes from. TREES yeah the things u c just lying around/growing all ovr this planet
The whole tonewood debate is really a bit of a beat up. Dont get me wrong, there r woods that sound better 2 the trained ear than others, yes 4 sure i believe that. However having said that there r so many timbers & it dont matter a tinkers damn if u want 2 make your guitar out of matchstix it will still work. (assuming it is actually built as a working guitar) I will try & find a pic where a well known US guitar builder built a guitar out of a pallet he found in the dumster out front of his guitar factory, just 2 prove exactly what im saying, & according 2 all reports it sounds GR8 (hmmmmm wonder if that pallet was the right type of tone(wack)wood. Personally im more of a believer in the idea that the guys who were building guitars like 200 > 400 years ago would have built them out of what was there(close 2 home), i.e. the tree growing in the yard or something similar, we all tend 2 think because we have computers & electronics/technology that we have a stronghold on knowledge well wake up & smell the roses ppl

Dont know if ya can read the story HAVE A GO
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Dix_Fix/GUITAR.jpg

Looks Cool eh? Made out of an old pallet WWWoooOOO000OOOoooHHH
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Dix_Fix/GUITAR3.jpg

To be fair some old pallets are made of nice hardwood. But it shows there are plenty of alternative materials a guitar can be made of. I'm pretty sure bob bendetto did something similar as well.

EDIT: found it!

Knotty Pine Guitar 01-01-1993
Guitar serial #29293, made from inferior tonewoods (deliberately!) Two-piece top carved from flatsawn construction grade 2" X 10" pine. Back carved from two-piece flatsawn unmatched maple, riddled with small knots, weather checking and discoloration. Despite the obvious, this guitar plays and sounds as good as one made from expensive tonewoods...Scott Chinery agreed; he purchased it!
Last edited by dave293 at Sep 15, 2006,
Dave293
That is way cool , as well. When i first saw the 1 i have pictured i didnt know the story & i honestly thought "who the hell would waste all those valuable manhours on inlaying a BLOODY forklift truck" with such care & attention 2 detail. Then i read the story & still think it 2 b quite honest, 'not so bad when u can programe it into a computer then assemble the bits.

HEY has any1 else got any pics/stories of garbage grade guitars ????

BETTER STILL i'll start a thread garbage grade guitars (think my build would have 2 qualify!!

O.K. here is the link if N E 1 is interested
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6825494#post6825494
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 15, 2006,
Looks like everyone outside of Oz doesn't get sarcasm. I've angered the irishman... I've seen Snatch, so I'm worried.

Nah, I'm messing with ya. You should see my flowing locks of red hair, yep. Spawn of Irish convicts I be.

Back to tone... well, I'm an Alder fan. But yes, wood isn't the be all end all, good pups and an amp make more diff to sound most of the time. Anyway, who wants to make a solid ironbark guitar with me?
ive played quite a few guitars & ican assure u that the 1 thing above all else that makes any difference 2 any guitar is ME or U the player makes the greatest amount of difference dont matter what g-tar $100K or under $1K AMEN
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Lol, coincidentally, i do have red hair. Long locks of it i might add.

Itas just presumed that everyone on this board are Americans. Which is completly untrue. You didnt anger me. Redheads are.....not......tempermental.

(Hey, whats that fly doing on my screen. GET THE **** OFF, bastards... *WHAM*. Damn true im not tempermental.)

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Page 1 of 2