Finally finished covering one of my 2x12's. Plywood construction, biscuit joints, rear mounted Eminence Texas Heat speakers. It came out looking really nice.

That is a nice cab. How much did it cost you in total?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
love the finish on the cab mate
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
Nice!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by the_random_hero
That is a nice cab. How much did it cost you in total?

I really don't remember. I think I bought 1 sheet of plywood for both cabinets. I don't recall the cost on the handles/corners/rubber feet. The vinyl was $18, the grill cloth was $7. Don't remember the cost of the piping. Two tubes of liquid nail per cabinet. The speakers (used) were $140. I think with the speakers, it's roughly $150-$200 each.......maybe less.
Hey what kind of vinyl and grill cloth is that, and where did you get it? Is that real tolex? Great cab btw. And how does it sound.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
Last edited by donkeyman2341 at Sep 13, 2006,
Very nice!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by donkeyman2341
Hey what kind of vinyl and grill cloth is that, and where did you get it? Is that real tolex? Great cab btw. And how does it sound.

All the coverings were bought at Hancock fabrics. The covering is a vinyl with backing. Same type you would find on furniture. The grill cloth is fabric. It was like 65% linen/35% polyester I think. Don't remember for sure. It has just the right amount of thickness and stretch too it.

Sounds pretty good. Doesn't quite have the bass response of a 4x12. I thought about porting it but when compared against the other guy in my band (Marshall 1960A) it sounds pretty good.
Very nice indeed. I've got all the parts now except the wood to build my own 2 x 12 cab. I'm basing mine on the design of a Mesa Recto 2 x 12. I'm probably going to be buying the wood this weekend.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
cool, because i bought some vinyl type stuff, and it had that backing on it...it ended up not working very well cause it doesn't seem to stick on the wood, and overall just didn't look like a guitar cab...but yours does so good job...wut glue did you use to put the vinyl on?
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
Quote by donkeyman2341
cool, because i bought some vinyl type stuff, and it had that backing on it...it ended up not working very well cause it doesn't seem to stick on the wood, and overall just didn't look like a guitar cab...but yours does so good job...wut glue did you use to put the vinyl on?

I used liquid nail. It's a contractors adhesive that comes in the tubes. You need to use a caulking gun. Works really well. Only remains tacky for a few minutes, but when it finally sets, it's rock hard.
looks great. i have a question, howcome you have it where the 2 speakers are on top rather than side by side?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
theyre not usually side by side ones usually ones on the top right or left and ones on the opposite side on the bottom
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by tubadude
looks great. i have a question, howcome you have it where the 2 speakers are on top rather than side by side?

Not sure what you mean. There is a speaker on top and bottom. I have another cabinet (not shown) that I would put next to it, resulting in a 4x12 setup but using two seperate cabinets.
Quote by tubadude

Why not?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Why not?

ive read the cab will have less bottom end when in that configuration. (havnt tried it, just from what ive read)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
That may because the sound isn't focused along the ground as much.
Old Fender cabs were like that.
how did u cover the cab? did u take one big piece and wrap it around? are there any seams anywhere?
Yeah, one big piece. There is a seam (hardly noticeable) on the bottom about an inch from the edge. It's cut in such a way that it is hidden on the corners by the edge protectors on the fron an the back.
oh ok thats what i thought, i'm fixing to build me a 4x12 and im just planning everything out. Could you post a picture of it for me?
Where you gonna stick your head? I was thinking about a slant 2X12 but I'm not sure where the hell I'd stick the head. BTW super awesome job!
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by zman258
the seam please

I'll try and get a chance to do that. I keep them at our practice place and with the holidays, we don't plan on getting together until after the 1st sometime.

I actually put some thought into the design. The width of two 2x12's side by side is the same height of one unit. I also built a rack (haven't finished it and not sure if I will) that is the same size of one 2x12, so it would stack perfectly on one or both cabinets. The reason I might not finish it is that on it's own, the rack is heavy. I have a 10 space rack unit right now with a Peavey Classic 50/50, power strip, ADA MP-1, Peavey TubeVerb and BBE Sonic Maximizer and it is heavier than all........ I simply don't think I'd be able to carry that custom rack. I'll either build two smaller ones (one to hold the power supply and one for everything else) or just use a standard rack. I guess I could always add removeable casters to the rack unit and then place the cabs on top of the rack. That would help get the cabinets off the ground and place them closer to ear level. There are times I really wish I had built them as slants but straights were so much easier to build.