This is my first article. I havent got word on my pc at the moment, since ive just installed vista, so my spelling may be a bit off. What do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone remembers the day they got their first guitar. It's a day of pride and fear mainly. Pride, because you are sitting holding the tool of those you have worshipped, and fear, because you don't know what the hell you're gonna do with it. My day was no exception, when i recieved my V tone guitar pack about a week before my birthday. Having acquired my behringer, i played it all day, went to work, came home and tried to tune it. Bam, string breaks, and i have to take it to a shop the next day, because i have no idea what to do with it now.

So i take it to a local music shop and the guy is very helpful. He shows me how to retune that high e, and set it all up. He then says those words which mark really the beginning of this article; "I'm just gonna make sure it's in tune...". He then procedes to shred with all his might on my guitar, throwing out a load of bends, slides, legato etc, before saying it was fine and giving me it back. At that moment, all i wanted to do was give up. He was infinitely better than me, and always will be. Whats the point?

It took a while for me to pick up my guitar again. When you're new to it all, its quite an intimidating world. Guitar is not an easy instrument to learn. Even if you give it everything you have, it's still confusing, testing, and time consuming at best. What do i learn? How long should i practice for? Is a metronome neccesary? Which are more important, scales or chords? Which scales? Which chords?

But you know what? If thats all a guitarist had to worry about, i personaly think everyone would be able to achieve sooner or later. There is one thing that kills a guitarists enthusiasm, as demonstrated above.

Show-offs

Now im not gonna put down the guy in the guitar shop. He was very helpful and that was jsut an example. But when a new guitarist walks into say a Guitar Centre or Dawsons only looking for some strings, and is immediately confronted by about 3 guitarists, sitting there shredding just for the hell of it, or perhaps just trying to get some attention, the reaction is quite simple.

"I don't belong here"

And thats it. The enthusiasm is dead, and it takes real willpower to pick up your guitar again and play. It also doesn't help that so many people lie about their skills. People claim to have been playing for short periods of time, when they've actually been playing for years. Or going on internet forums, claiming they can play stairway after 4 months. This kills the beginner, who is left feeling inadequate and useless. Believe me, i know.

The important thing to remember, though, is humility is what will show a good man and a good guitarist. Yes, when you achieve something new, and when you master a technique or song, be proud. That, however, is no excuse to play it in front of people of a lower skill level than you just to prove your better. Chances are if you're trying to show off to experienced players, the more you show off, the less skill people will assume you have, mainly because they will think that you can only play using one or two techniques. And well, unless you get a kick out of killing enthusiasm for your instrument, there's no reason to show off to less experienced players.

If you aren't that experienced, like me, then you should bear in mind a few things

1. The world is filled with posers and liars. Guitarists are no different. If someone is saying they can so something incredible and that makes them better than you, sod them. Any guitarist worth his salt would never do that.

2. Everyone you think is fantastic has been where you are now. Slash, Hendrix, Dimebag, they all had to start somewhere.

3. You should never NEVER give up. It's not easy, it can be damn near impossible, but keep going. It is possible if you dont let assholes put you off.

You can be as good as you want to be, but bear in mind when you get there that round the corner there is a guitarist who's intimidated and confused, just like you used to be.

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there we go, my first article
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Last edited by MattIgoe0108 at Sep 13, 2006,
Quote by MattIgoe0108
2. Everyone you this is fantastic has been where you are now. Slash, Hendrix, Dimebag, they all had to start somewhere.

3. You should never NEVER give up. It's not easy, it can be damn near impossible, but keep going. It is dooable if you dont let assholes put you off.

"Everyone you this is fantastic has been where you are now" makes absolutely no sense

"dooable" isn't a word

Those are the major sticking points. Apart from that, it's a good article
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████