I've been wanting to write music for aaaages now, but I just don't know where to begin, here are some of my problems...

What order do I write? Do I write lyrics first and then music to go with it or does the music come first?

For lyrics, do I just write the words as words or do I try and hear them in my head how they should be sung etc...?

For the music, do I need to play around on my guitar and find something which sounds good, or let my mind wander till I "hum" something that sounds good?

How do I know when to repeat lyrics and how do I stop riffs from t'Arctic Monkeys coming into my head when I try and write my own riffs?

Please try and answer

Thanks, Topher.
firstly, read the faq beofre posting...this is supposed to go to the questions thread...but anyway, won't be grouchy :P

What order do I write? Do I write lyrics first and then music to go with it or does the music come first?

first, my friend, what you need is inspiration. like..you can't amke something out of nothing. well something good that is. when you feel strong against something (for me it's emotions either sad, or angry or both.). once you're on that stage, you let lyrics flow out of you. switch off the rules, and just write your song on paper.

once you've done that, you improve it...try thinking a tune for it, and see if it all fits together (usually it never does), and then start tweaking phrases, adding and removing extra words.

once you're past this stage, you probably know how you want your song sung. what i do, is i just sing it, and play guitar...prefferably acoustic is better to start with. i then play chords and see what tune my tune of the lyrics goes with.

if you're unable to play and sing at the same time, i suggest you either record the way you want it sung on a tape recorder, computer or something, and then play it over and over again, and start adding guitar (this is te way i do it).

For the music, do I need to play around on my guitar and find something which sounds good, or let my mind wander till I "hum" something that sounds good?

whatever you find better for yourself. don't just play, you need to have a general idea of how you want your lyrics to sound like, or play them over and over agian on a device (like i said before).

How do I know when to repeat lyrics and how do I stop riffs from t'Arctic Monkeys coming into my head when I try and write my own riffs?

it's very hard to break away from influences, and noone doesnt. no song in the world is 100% original. everything is influenced by something. nothing is new in todays music...everything has done before, just this time there's something new to it...why don't you live with that for now..
You start by reading the rules sticky very carefully. Then you go to the appropriate thread and read it. Then and only then, if you still have more questions you post them in the appropriate questions thread.

To answer some of your questions start by thinking about what you want to write, then construct a song title. As far as music before lyrics goes thats up to your personal pref. Use your singing voice to hear how you want the lyrics to sound or play your music and fill in where words should be with random sounds mimicing words and write words to the sounds.

I find humming to be a good way to invent new licks and riffs think about the words and how they should make the reader feel and hum sounds the reflect that feeling. You don't have to repeat lyrics do so whenever you want.

To stop other riffs and licks comming into your head listen to a wide variety of different music simultaniously.

Now make sure to read the rules and the sticky.

Good day.

P.S. Don't listen to a word ^this guy^ says. Only a crappy musician will tell you that everything has "already been done" in music. Music is just begining to evolve find new and interesting ways to use your instrument.
Last edited by Brokenkingdom at Sep 13, 2006,
well, not really...i haven't heard anything new (riffwise) in ages...everything reminds me of somethign else that was on the radio before..well it could be an opinion, but i know pretty alot of ppl who agree...i'm not saying EVRYTHING is done, but, alot is done already...like i had a riff, i made it myself, and then it turned out it already existed (i found this out after i had written it)
Last edited by zwound at Sep 13, 2006,
Try writing music on a piano. It's especially good if you don't know how to play piano really well. The reason I say that is a lot of time guitarists get trapped in shapes, and end up writing music that's not really that interesting melodically or harmonically. Play around with melodies, intervals, etc. As far as what process you should take, start with whatever you consider your weakpoint. If you can write great lyrics, write an interesting melody then pen words to match it. If you write weak lyrics, really concentrating on writing something well (and rewriting it a few times), then match it to an interesting melody or progression.
Hi, I'm Peter
firstly, you need to read the faqs
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
first of all you need inspirtation, be that political, love based, hate based, what have you. You can't just write something for the sake of it or 9/10 it will totally suck. Then you need to think about the style and context of the song. Is it going to be metal/emo/punk/ grunge etc, and whether or not it is going to be a loud song, ballad etc. And then, you repost this in the right forum because its gonna get closed as soon as the mods see it. oh yeah, then write and then get urself unbanned