I found that the intonation on the high e of my ibanez RG320 is flat so I adjusted the intonation until the saddle was as close to the neck as possible (that is the direction it's supposed to go if it's flat right?) and it's still flat?
And I replaced my 0.08 hi-e with 0.10 and re-intonated. But it's still flat!!!
How can I fix this, do I need new strings or does something else need to be adjusted?

Any help will be appreciated.
unitedkid:
between a bioengineered apple and an organic apple,tasters might not notice a difference,but when a consumers starts growing a elephant trunk out of their ass,they'll wonder. enjoy your solidstate amp you know,coz a scientist said so
Action maybe.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Action maybe.

No action is right.
or can you explain a little bit more?
unitedkid:
between a bioengineered apple and an organic apple,tasters might not notice a difference,but when a consumers starts growing a elephant trunk out of their ass,they'll wonder. enjoy your solidstate amp you know,coz a scientist said so
There're 2 holes for the intonation screw to screw into. Are yours at the proper hole?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Are you using an electronic tuner? Maybe the battery needs to be replaced. Or maybe your turning the screws the wrong way? I don't know.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by armadildo
No action is right.
or can you explain a little bit more?

Just a vague suggestion. Are you doing this by ear?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
There're 2 holes for the intonation screw to screw into. Are yours at the proper hole?

Are you using an electronic tuner? Maybe the battery needs to be replaced. Or maybe your turning the screws the wrong way? I don't know.

Just a vague suggestion. Are you doing this by ear?

I use my pc and AP-Tuner. Intonation screws are in last hole (toward neck).
the bridge is edge or something floydrose-type i assume. Any idea?
unitedkid:
Last edited by armadildo at Sep 13, 2006,
Its an Edge III or Edge Pro II, still the same concept. If those are Guitar->PC tuner then i'd strongly suggest you use a chromatic tuner or a needle tuner.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ts an Edge III or Edge Pro II, still the same concept. If those are Guitar->PC tuner then i'd strongly suggest you use a chromatic tuner or a needle tuner.

i used a digital tuner with new batteries before. but still cant correct it. oh ****.
please help me .
unitedkid:
how are you measuring the intonation?

shortening the scale sharpens the pitch, and lengthening it flattens. if youve run out of travel you can raise the action a bit to increase the scale some.

by how many hertz about is it off? you're not going to get perfect intonation along the string... the frets are only approximations.

cheers,
gazaa
Quote by gazaa
how are you measuring the intonation?

shortening the scale sharpens the pitch, and lengthening it flattens. if youve run out of travel you can raise the action a bit to increase the scale some.

by how many hertz about is it off? you're not going to get perfect intonation along the string... the frets are only approximations.

cheers,
gazaa

Hertz i dunno but it off about 15%.
And my string is in tune perfectly and sounds perfect open but off about 5% at 12th harmonic.
i know this is weird and i'm not high or drunk.
please help me
unitedkid:
Are these stock strings? if its too old go change them
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Are these stock strings? if its too old go change them

My strings are new. I bought them yesterday. oh ****

Im going crazy.
unitedkid:
Could you check the neck relief, it might be your truss rod causing this.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Could you check the neck relief, it might be your truss rod causing this.

Can you explain lilbit more?
I think it's factory setting. how it should be?
unitedkid:
Fret the 1st fret low E and the 19th/20th fret where the neck meets the body. See the 8th fretwire, there should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm between the fretwire and the string. See if your string is just lying dead on the fretboard or issit higher than 0.5mm then repost.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Fret the 1st fret low E and the 19th/20th fret where the neck meets the body. See the 8th fretwire, there should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm between the fretwire and the string. See if your string is just lying dead on the fretboard or issit higher than 0.5mm then repost.

it's 24 fret so i fretted 1st and 24th.
it's about 0.4~0.5mm at 8th.

is that okay?
unitedkid:
Try back on the 19th, the guitar doesnt meet the body at 24th. But there shouldnt be any difference, your neck relief is ok. Which particular string that cause this improper intonation, all or just one? also make sure your bridge is parallel to the body.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Try back on the 19th, the guitar doesnt meet the body at 24th. But there shouldnt be any difference, your neck relief is ok. Which particular string that cause this improper intonation, all or just one? also make sure your bridge is parallel to the body.

Bridge is parallel. It's that f***ing hi-e. B is bitchy also.
at 19th it seems about 0.4.

I like to thank you for being so much helpful buddy.
unitedkid:
Your frets might not be leveled. Try fretting the high e string at the 17th fret, see if its close to A. And your B, fret the 17th too, see if its close to E. And one more thing about intonation, if you're close to the original note, its fine coz its not visible to the ear, you dont have to be so perfect about it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Your frets might not be leveled. Try fretting the high e string at the 17th fret, see if its close to A. And your B, fret the 17th too, see if its close to E. And one more thing about intonation, if you're close to the original note, its fine coz its not visible to the ear, you dont have to be so perfect about it.

e is about 20% off.
B is about 15% off.
they are perfectly in tune and i wanna cry
unitedkid:
Quote by armadildo
e is about 20% off.
B is about 15% off.

Hah, I have the same problem, but it is my low-E.
I am going to buy a longer screw for the saddle to bring it even close to the fretboard.

Not sure if your bridge/saddle will take a longer screw like mine, but its the only suggestion I have.
Quote by JJP-rock
Hah, I have the same problem, but it is my low-E.
I am going to buy a longer screw for the saddle to bring it even close to the fretboard.

Not sure if your bridge/saddle will take a longer screw like mine, but its the only suggestion I have.

No it wont, its a Floyd Rose type bridge, not a vintage.
Quote by armadildo
e is about 20% off.
B is about 15% off.

Hmm, although crying would gain you nothing, worth a try... Just to be sure, are you using the correct gauge of string? If thats not the problem, then try using other tuner or if you dont have any spare tuner, try diving the tremolo up and down, bend the strings and make sure its stretched properly, retune everything and try to check the intonation afterwards. Also make sure that your strings are properly inserted into each nut's section.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 14, 2006,
well on my guitar the g on the tuner is +20 Hz off perfect tune is this ok?
Last edited by striker327 at Sep 14, 2006,
Quote by striker327
well on my guitar the g on the tuner is +20 Hz off perfect tune is this ok?

If its unnoticable to the ear, then its ok but if you can get it as near as perfect, then do so.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
awesome thank you for replying i apresiate it so much i have made threads trying to get someone to answer that question
Quote by striker327
awesome thank you for replying i apresiate it so much i have made threads trying to get someone to answer that question

But the only problem if you're using your ears is that it can be noticeable by a professional musician and unnoticed by you. The only thing that cant be fooled is the tuner.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
do u ahve an email or something i made a recording of it and i want to see if u can notice anything different (i dont mind if u dont want to show your email)
pm sent, and dont be dissapointed if i cant hear it properly coz of the recording quality n such
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by striker327
wat did u think of the recording, all sound the same?

Sounds fine to me but might be a little bit shaky, probably coz of the recording.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
One other sugestion is to tune the open slightly sharp, but still mostly in-tune to the ear.
That way the high-e at the 12th will be less flat. A compromise is reached.

I've been doing this on my strat (until I get the longer saddle screw as I mentioned earlier).
Also another thing TS, if you dont have luck by finding the right intonation using the front saddle lock screw, then try moving it to the back position, retune and try your luck there. Patience is the key, if only Ibanez had manufactured an intonation adjuster like they did back in the Edge/Lo-Pro Edge days, it'd be easier, now you just gotta do it by trial and error.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 14, 2006,
I had this same problem on my LP a while back. The high E would not intonate and I ran out of adjustment room along the screw. I just assumed that it was because my strings were old. But if it happens with new strings as well, what could be the problem?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Armored Artist
I had this same problem on my LP a while back. The high E would not intonate and I ran out of adjustment room along the screw. I just assumed that it was because my strings were old. But if it happens with new strings as well, what could be the problem?

Sigh, so much intonation problems these days, could be caused by unleveled fret, twisted neck, low tuner's battery, old strings, loose neck joint, too high/low of an action, but for your case, its easier if you get an earvana compensated nut to help out with your intonation problems.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic