Ok, this may sound hillarious to all of you hardcore guitarists. I am completely new to this, and I've had no help learning what I've learned. Nonetheless, my problem is, I want to play this:

e|5--5-5--55--5-|-5--5-5--55--5-|-2--2-2--22--2-|-3--3-3--33--3--|
B|5--5-5--55--5-|-5--5-5--55--5-|-2--2-2--22--2-|-3--3-3--33--3--|
G|7--7-7--77--7-|-6--6-6--66--6-|-4--4-4--44--4-|-3--3-3--33--3--|
D|7--7-7--77--7-|-7--7-7--77--7-|-4--4-4--44--4-|-5--5-5--55--5--|
A|5--5-5--55--5-|-7--7-7--77--7-|-2--2-2--22--2-|-5--5-5--55--5--|
E|5--5-5--55--5-|-5--5-5--55--5-|-2--2-2--22--2-|-3--3-3--33--3--|

But, that would require me to have atleast 6 on my left hand as far as I can see. I doubt the guitarist in The Calling, who plays this song, has got 6 fingers. Do you get my point? How do I play something like that without like attaching an extra finger?
search barre chord
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
barre chord dude, put one finger across every fret on string 5, then one on the 6, and the last two on the 7s
they're barre chords use your index finger to cover the whole fret of the note on the E strings,
and then use your third 4th and 5th to sort the rest out.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
Barre chords, hard at first...practice and you'll have it down. I do recommend learning open chords first, if you havent already. But yeah, look up barre chords and do some research, because they're not hard.
lay your first finger across the lowest fret, e.g for the first chord lay your first finger over every note on the 5th fret
'You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'
Al Capone
You barre your index finger over the lowest fret - meaning you lay your index finger across all the strings, not just one. Like in this photo, not his index finger fretting all the strings at one fret.

So, on your first chord - you'd lay your index finger across the whole fifth freth, use your pinky finger for the 7th fret on the G string, and your ring finger for the 7th fret on the D string.

Y'understand?
It's called a barre chord. take the fist chord for example... you would lie your first finger (i.e. index) over the 5th fret and then use fingers 3 and 4 to hold down the 7s.

It takes a little getting used to to make all the notes sound, but its easy when you get the hand of it.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I.. think.. I understand, thanks.
Uhm, could anyone eventually link me up with some chords basics?

Edit:

Wow, it takes alot of strength to cover 6 strings.
Last edited by Prodigist at Sep 13, 2006,
Quote by chobbsy
search for it yourself, you'll find it easily

I'll try. I guess. Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by Prodigist

Edit:
Wow, it takes alot of strength to cover 6 strings.

It took me about 4 weeks to get it right on an electric and about 6 on acoustic.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws