Well, i was wondering...
If my local guitarshop would teach me how to change tunning on a Floyd Rose bridge, would I be able to do it myself on a gig when I have to play 1 song in dropped-D? Or is it just to much work?
And I saw a guy playing with a Ltd MH400 (with floyd rose) and there was a string out of tune and he just turned a knob on the floyd rose bridge and it was oké ... it doesn't look that difficult, or am I wrong? This is all new to me...
thanx a lot
There is fine tuners on the bridge which are more sensitive than your standard tuners, so he would be able to quickly put it back into tune if it hadn't gone too far out.
As for changing a guitar with a floyd rose during a gig, it would involve taking of the locking nut, tuning up, putitng the locking nut back on, re-tuning, so it would probably take a bit too long in the middle of a gig. You could have a second guitar ready in dorp D.
You cant change the tuning on stage, you gotta reset the tuning back and readjust the screw. Practically do a whole tuning routine back. You could get an EVH D-Tuna but that depends on what type of LFR are you using and whether the bridge is recessed or not (most probably it would). If the bridge is recessed, you may/may not install it and even if you can, your up-pull will be limited coz the D-Tuna would hit the body, unless you do some routing/sanding.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
they can take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours to tune. Taking a string to drop anything is possible with your fine tuners...maybe...

You know how a floyd works right? by tension? so you tighten one string, and the entire trem comes up a little bit, lowering all of the others. Its a long processes in finding the right middle ground from spring and string tension. The fine tuners effect all of the strings which is what still makes it difficult...it would probably take you...assuming you knew exactly what you where doing...about 10-30 minuets to drop the string...which is pretty noticeable in a gig...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
"they can take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours to tune. Taking a string to drop anything is possible with your fine tuners...maybe..."

Are you serious? I can change strings and tune in less than 1/2 hr!
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Hearsay and Noob talk again I'm afraid.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
I can restring my Floyd in about 15-20 minutes....it's not that bid og a deal.

The fine tuners allow you to fix small tuning changes, but anything too big, you will have to unclamp the nut and retune, then fine-tune again.

I wanted a Dtuna on my Floyd really bad, but I'm not willing to give up the pull up feature on it....it's like cutting it's balls of.....so I'm living with it in standard! It's amazing!

IMO, if you're using multiple tunings, a floyd guitar should be your second guitar.
What Ibanez said.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab