hey all, i have just modded my old LP into a 5150 guitar, and being such a big fan of eddie, i would love to put a trem in it, so i have a couple of questions,

1. what would a good trem be (i haven't done much research into them).
2. is this possible?
3. how much might this be costing me (i don't have too much wood working experience)

PS it's an epiphone lp special II.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
i reccomend looking for mick mars' les paul becasue he plays with with a trem,so i do beleive its possible.id reccomend a floyd rose(if your an eddie fan) and the price i would have no idea about but i know the trem itself is about 200 but the routing and installing...i have no idea
Try using the search button. (not being mean, theres just a LOT of info about this that you may miss out on)
it's actually just a flat top
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

really? well go for it then really, you will still need to route through the body for the trem block, but go for it, it should be interesting
my dad took the camera to mexico for a few days so i don't have a complete picture of the guitar put together.

GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Last edited by g-cash14 at Sep 13, 2006,
if i were going for the eddie style here...i'd get a floyd put in, a d-tuna, just screw a bridge pickup in there, and a single volume pot

but you should at least get the floyd rose if you're going for the evh thing.
Quote by uuhi
Quitting fags was a bitch for me so I started eating more than usual.
try searching through here. i seen a thread a few days ago about a trim that would work great on that without routing.

edit: did the searching for ya https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428529
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Sep 13, 2006,
well i want to use the vibrato like eddie, which means i can't have it going out of tune all the time, i have also heard of the kahler hybrid system, any good, i know i will have to route but it seems neat.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Eddie used a Les Paul in the early days of Van Halen, the band said it wasn't a "rock looking" guitar and said he should get a Strat style guitar. Eddie did this but noticed the single coil pickups sounded too thin, the band agree'd with him and so he took one of the humbucking pickups out of his LP and put it in the bridge position of his strat (with some shoddy hand routing for the bigger pickup) effectivly inventing the fat strat.

Here's one of Eddie's LP's striped up.

You'll want a Floyd Rose bridge and set it up flush to the body, Eddie never used recessed Floyd's. You'll be needing a router to route out the cavities. If you want to go that extra mile, you can also get some 5150 space tape.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Last edited by Cathedral at Sep 13, 2006,
actually if he really wanted to be hardcore EVH... He wouldn't route the body at all.
I believe EVH didn't do this to his early frankenstrat guitars if my memory serves me correct.
so he'd just drill a hole for the springs and the trem's block.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Eddie did route the body of his franky to accomadate the humbucker and eventually the pickup selector switch in the middle pickup position.

Bottom guitar, le Franky.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
ok well i called the localguitar shop and they said that it would be hard to put locking nuts in because the special II obviously wasn't made for that, and when i asked if i could just file some of the fretboard back they said it would mess with my intonation and that the saddles on the trem have a limited space. so are there any suggestions as to what i could do?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

does anybody have any tutorials or instructions i can find anywhere to help me on my quest. i neec more information.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

you could just get something that locks the strings but isnt a nut all in one...i have an old bc rich with a kehler(sp?) bridge and they just have a normal nut and the space after the nut they just put it in...kinda on a angle...but it still holds tune rather well
Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
an lsr roller nut might solve your nut problem as for the bridge, im afraid you gonna have to do some routing....does the kahler style floyd have a block and springs from the back? they r weird bridges
well i am getting a router a black and decker on that is going on sale from 99$ to 79$ in two weeks should be a good deal, it's a plunge by the way. and im looking at the floyd rose speedloader, it says you can do all of the regular stuff that an original would do but you can block the trem (to make a stoptail) with the turn of a screw, it seems really neat. any ideas?

PS i phoned my shop and they said that they dont usually get kahler's in so that idea is caput.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

ok i just found out kahler trems and original floyd rose trems are all like 300 so im not sure what to do. i could buy a yamaha with floyd rose for 289. so for what im going to have to spend on this guitar i could buy a new guitar with a floyd in it already.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Quote by g-cash14
ok i just found out kahler trems and original floyd rose trems are all like 300 so im not sure what to do. i could buy a yamaha with floyd rose for 289. so for what im going to have to spend on this guitar i could buy a new guitar with a floyd in it already.

warmoth sells them for 170-200 dollars depending on the color (OFR'S)

warmoth.com
A kahler's your best bet, they were designed specifically to address the problems of routing through the body.

You still need to do some, but you don't need to go all the way through. And I'm sure I remember Ace Frehley playing a Washburn LP with a Floyd that mounted on the body.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
personally i would buy a floyd rose but it really is a case of whatever floats your boat
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab