I've been looking at the Laney LC15R but reviews I've read say that its not very reliable and not very good for anything but blues

So I'm looking for a small-ish tube/valve amp that can (with the help of an od pedal, if necessary) handle a little metal (just some metallica) and hard rock like GnR, but that I can use in my bedroom for practicing

All I've seen so far are

Laney LC15
Crate V1512
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
I used a Fender Frontman II and thought it was DAMN good.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
sorry I should have said, I'm looking for something to play hard rock/metal, not a fender, basically...but thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

you wont be able to find that many small tube amps that are that good, but look into a Peavey Valveking. They are damn good amps and you can get them in like a 10" combo.
If it's just for practice, you don't need something top of the line, just something that will sound decent and will turn on and off when you want it to.
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
I've tried an LC30 and it can be used for more than just blues. I think the VC15 is more suited to blues/classic rock. The LC30 can be used quite comfortably for hard rock, but metal is pushing it. I imagine the LC15 would be the same, except I hear it only has one channel.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Traynor makes a 15 watt version of the YCV50 Blue. With an OD it can do just about any type of good metal.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i just ran into this page, and there are alot of amps here people might not think to consider...

http://www.amptone.com/under20wamps.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I would look for something smaller or bigger. 15 watts is too much for bedroom practice and to little for gigging.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
what's your budget? the laney vc15, and the traynor ycv20 (probably too dear in ireland, though) are quite nice, though they are vintage (ish) in tonality...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Orange made a 15W combo version of the AD30 called the AD15. It's hard to come by and probably pricey, but they're great amps.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
CRATE PALAMINO

CLASS A TUBES ARE AMAZING

AC15 is bigger and sick as well
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but the THD univalve is an option as well. You could also wait for the Orange Tiny Terror to hit the market. I believe both these would require a boost to get into the "metal" range though.

edit: Both these are just heads by the way.
well my budget is about 500-600 euros, I think thats about $750...
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by flatline_guitar
you wont be able to find that many small tube amps that are that good, but look into a Peavey Valveking. They are damn good amps and you can get them in like a 10" combo.
If it's just for practice, you don't need something top of the line, just something that will sound decent and will turn on and off when you want it to.

The Peavey alveking series are pretty good amps, but they're not that great for metal. Besides the combos only come in 12" versions, and they're 50 watts. That's probably be too loud for him.

As other people mentioned ,I'd look into Traynors and an OD to get the good metal sound.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Definately a Marshall DSL401, if you can get it cheap enough (is about your limit in price when new). May be a bit loud, who knows, but great reputation for hard rock/metal. (All tube 40watt)
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
^ the DSL401 is about 850 euros over here (Ireland is a bollocks)
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

^ you might get one for that price if you buy from the north or mainland UK...

but from what I hear, to get a really good metal chug, you have to have the power section working, which means it'll be loud...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm gonna look at some used stuff and see what i can find
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

there's a couple...

Edit: O I just saw your budget nevermind
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

the epiphone valve standard is awesome. I used it with a mxr zw od pedal, and got just about any tone i wanted.

IT seems to be built liek a tank too, im gonna try to get myself one this year.

however, it does have some meh reviews on the reliability... So im also still looking

seems awesome though, and definately sounds awesome
Minsoo s.w.