Ive noticed that the color of my guitar has gotten darker since the first time i bought it, is this normal? I have the Yamaha FG750s:

If u notice, the front and the sides are roughly the same color.. and ive went to the music store and the FG750s's they have much lighter back and sides than mine:

Is there any explaination as to why the colour would darken?

Edit: Here's an older pic (of when it was lighter colour):

Last edited by fsb_ben at Sep 13, 2006,
yeah, its normal. im not really sure why, but it happens. solid tops also sound better with age
PM me for
Spruce turns more yellow, maple starts to turn a darker brown. Brazilian rosewood actually gets lighter with time. Oxidation and UV rays change the color of just about all types of wood. Some get liter, some get darker, and some woods will compleatly change colore. Purple hart goes from bright purple to dark brown. It's normal.
Not taking any online orders.
Hey CorduroyEW dose that effect the sound in any way or is it nothing foe me to worry about because my guitar is starting to get lighter
The wood in any guitar will continue to "cure" or dry for many years. This will change the tone somewhat. Generally I think the tend to get mellower.
Rumor has it that the kind of music you play, or standing your guitar in front of a speaker that's playing the kind of music you WANT to play, can influence the tone towords what you like. I don't know if this is true. Never really noticed it on any of mine.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
The wood in any guitar will continue to "cure" or dry for many years. This will change the tone somewhat. Generally I think the tend to get mellower.
Rumor has it that the kind of music you play, or standing your guitar in front of a speaker that's playing the kind of music you WANT to play, can influence the tone towords what you like. I don't know if this is true. Never really noticed it on any of mine.

well i guess if you do like soft fingerpicking stuff then the wood wont get beat upon as much as when you pound it hard with a pick.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by GsKoRn1
Hey CorduroyEW dose that effect the sound in any way or is it nothing foe me to worry about because my guitar is starting to get lighter

The change in color has no change on tone. Keeping the guitar in the case will help slow the color changing process but it won't stop it. It is nothing to worry about.

The change in tone that EL Conquestidor was talking about is caused by playing the guitar and it is said to be very desirable. It make the guitar "more open" and "more musical" and many luthiers try lots of things (like keep the guitar in front of a speaker) to speed up this tone change.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by EL Conquestidor

I can attest to this first hand. I have played a friends crappy japanese acoustic from the 80's. It has mellowed out a lot and now plays quite nicely and sounds great....
From crappy to good in twenty + years.